Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2597691 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"P" is Pal Joey (1957)
« Reply #3600 on: April 23, 2008, 09:47:47 am »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Q" is Queen High (1930)
« Reply #3601 on: April 23, 2008, 09:53:13 am »
Talk about totally ridiculous!

IMDb summary:  The two partners of a ladies' garter business are constantly feuding with each other. When they ask their lawyer to dissolve their partnership, he proposes that instead the two of them play a single poker hand: the loser to become the winner's personal manservant for a year.

Manservant?

With Ginger Rogers

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"R" is Royal Wedding (1951)
« Reply #3602 on: April 23, 2008, 11:10:01 am »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac6o8PXthzQ[/youtube]
                       Fred Astaire's famous ceiling dance (3:01)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"S" is South Pacific (1958)
« Reply #3603 on: April 23, 2008, 11:22:16 am »
This movie is 50 years old this year! Hard to believe...

Poster from the Broadway production:

and the movie:

South Pacific is currently playing in New York in a revival that is getting wonderful reviews. It will be there until June 22nd although I have heard it is completely sold out. Paul, time for ebay tickets  ;) ?

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"T" is The Ten Commandments: The Musical (2006)
« Reply #3604 on: April 23, 2008, 11:57:11 am »
Val Kilmer as Moses?  Oy!

IMDb:  This film/musical is absolutely atrocious. It's nothing but a long collection of drawn-out, uncreative, boring, canned songs with pretty much every cliché lyric in the book. Is it supposed to be a Jesus Christ Superstar wannabe, without the writing talent? The cheesy MIDI drums and Windows 95ish video transitions especially add to its "bad church production" feel. I wasn't expecting much going in, but I was completely stunned by the tremendous void of artistic or entertainment value. I swear I've seen class presentations by high-school kids with more creativity. Could this possibly be a serious effort? By professionals? And how in the world does someone with as big a name as Val Kilmer get wrapped into something so awful? Perhaps he owed somebody a favor? I don't get it. Absolutely disgusting.

Paul, time for ebay tickets  ;) ?

Very tempting...
Edit:  I just looked:  they're going for $500 to 2600 per pair!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"U" is U-Carmen e-Khayelitsha (2005)
« Reply #3605 on: April 23, 2008, 02:04:42 pm »

From IMDb:

U-CARMEN is a feature film based on Bizet's nineteenth century opera, filmed on location in a modern South African township setting. The energy, compassion and heat of township life in all its elements will create a constantly visually interesting and dynamic background for the unfolding of the story.

The Carmen story owes part of its huge popularity to the thrilling combination of a violent gangster tale with a passionate almost supernatural love story. As it unfolds it explores issues of fame and wealth, the position of a strong and independently minded woman in a very masculine society, and perhaps most importantly, the incomprehensible attraction between abuser and victim.

Bizet's opera, based on Prosper Merimee's novel, premiered in Paris on March 3, 1875. Set in a poor area of Seville, the story of the magnetic woman who seduces, loves and ultimately destroys her lover and herself, is well known. Girl (Carmen) seduces boy (Don Jose), boy becomes completely obsessed, girl leaves boy for another (the Matador), boy in a jealous rage kills her. Carmen's mother-obsessed soldier lover who is displaced by the glamorous matador is one of the greatest tragic figures in all of musical theatre. But the story is her story. Why does she push her soldier into violence? Why doesn't she escape at the last moment? What drives her to destruction?

Although these fascinating aspects of human relationships are explored in a penetrating and at times uncomfortable way this is no intellectual journey but a bawdy, passionate, vibrant tale with enormous warmth and heat and some of the greatest tunes ever written. The fantastic vitality and huge skill of the performers from Dimpho Di Kopane make an impact beyond that achieved by any filmed opera to date. The soundtrack, recorded by Dimpho Di Kopane with Imbumba, a young South African orchestra, combines Bizet's score with traditional South African music creating a powerful musical experience.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "S" is South Pacific (1958)
« Reply #3606 on: April 23, 2008, 02:08:17 pm »

Very tempting...
Edit:  I just looked:  they're going for $500 to 2600 per pair!

YIKES!!!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"V" is Viva Las Vegas (1964)
« Reply #3607 on: April 23, 2008, 02:12:13 pm »
I can't believe this hasn't been played yet!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: "U" is U-Carmen e-Khayelitsha (2005)
« Reply #3608 on: April 23, 2008, 02:13:47 pm »
From IMDb:

U-CARMEN is a feature film based on Bizet's nineteenth century opera filmed on location in a modern South African township setting. The energy, compassion and heat of township life in all its elements will create a constantly visually interesting and dynamic background for the unfolding of the story...

I actually saw this on a plane!  I loved it.  Great fusion of Bizet and township music.  

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"W" is The Wiz (1978)
« Reply #3609 on: April 23, 2008, 02:17:28 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seCJz2FDec0[/youtube]

"Ease on Down the Road" 2:41