Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165610 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #7740 on: November 27, 2006, 04:21:30 pm »
Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/157683.html  "Chapter 117: In the Eyes of the Law"

louise, that chapter was just spot on! funny, passionate, loving. I love Wes and Edna planning their boys's 'wedding delmarriage reception like that. Just like parents do.

sigh, wonderful chapter!

thank you  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7741 on: November 27, 2006, 04:24:48 pm »
louise, that chapter was just spot on! funny, passionate, loving. I love Wes and Edna planning their boys's 'wedding delmarriage reception like that. Just like parents do.

sigh, wonderful chapter!

That and ..

“Yer a wicked woman, Edna Brown. Seducin a sheriff in the line a fried chicken.”

was priceless ..  :laugh:

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7742 on: November 27, 2006, 04:26:08 pm »
Those two have a lot of time booked in the intimacy department.

And who would a thought:  A DEEP FRYER.  Guess who's goin shoppin at the Sears tonight!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #7743 on: November 27, 2006, 04:27:12 pm »
Right, I,m off for the night peeps. C ya all tomorw. Nite twin sister. Be good..you know I am lol. ;) ;D :-* :-* :-*

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #7744 on: November 27, 2006, 04:29:37 pm »

'Dupree went back to his apartment, changed into his running clothes, and set out in the deepening cold twilight to run off his tension, but even deep into his exercise high, his mind returned again and again to Ennis’s cautions, and his doubt that Dupree would be able to do anything to suppress being queer. He had to face it, to give in to the inevitable, to succumb to what his body seemed to be dragging him toward, what his dreams and fantasies kept returning to, again and again.'

- The Red Stallion Chapter 114: Nowhere to Run

A further addition to the Laramie Lexicon:

a jeremiad: Originally, a long-drawn-out lamentation for a deep personal loss. In Laramie, a short moment of nostalgic regret at having lost one's delusions of being heterosexual, followed by excited anticipation of the pleasures of the new world of queerness one is about to enter into.
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7745 on: November 27, 2006, 04:29:57 pm »

sigh, wonderful chapter!

you are very welcome.  I had a certain trepidation about writing about Wes and Edna's intimacy, but then I remembered there are a lot of older readers here, some of them in long term marriages, who might get a real kick out of the middle aged parental figures reacting to Ennis and Ellery's impending "delmarriage" !!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7746 on: November 27, 2006, 04:31:09 pm »

[size=8pt]'Dupree went back to his apartment, changed into his running clothes, and set out in the deepening cold twilight to run off his tension, but even deep into his exercise high, his mind returned again and again to Ennis’s cautions, and his doubt that Dupree would be able to do anything to suppress being queer. He had to face it, to give in to the inevitable, to succumb to what his body seemed to be dragging him toward, what his dreams and fantasies kept returning to, again and again.'

- The Red Stallion Chapter 114: Nowhere to Run
[/i]

A further addition to the Laramie Lexicon/:

a jeremiad: Originally, a long-drawn-out lamentation for a deep personal loss. In Laramie, a short moment of nostalgic regret at having lost one's delusions of being heterosexual, followed by excited anticipation of the pleasures of the new world of queerness one is about to enter into.

Richard, you are sooo good at these!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7747 on: November 27, 2006, 04:43:41 pm »
Richard, you are sooo good at these!

Well, no sh!t!   Good work there Rich!  ;D 

merrobot

« Reply #7748 on: November 27, 2006, 04:53:23 pm »
I know one of the criticisms aimed at your fic Ennis on the Couch was that Ennis' development was too quick.

Yes - but I did place certain 'external catalysts' in the story to speed up the process.  But anyway - that's OT  :)  On the other hand, the Laramie Saga takes place over a longer time span and many more chapters which perhaps gives more opportunity for character development.

I am sure as a gay sherriff, ElleryCantrell© has different perceptions and social standing to most people, but it would be interesting to see the wider reaction to the marriage outside of the Laramie gay community.  What does the town think?  Has it made them more accepting or more hostile?  An authority figure usually has ripples of influence from their actions.

That made me think, maybe Enni's growth is accelerated by Ellery's© ability to use his money and influence to shelter them from the outside world to an extent?  What would the psychological impact of this be?

The implication is, I think, that this will not be a 'public' marriage - the papers will be signed but not filed on the record.  I think this could potentially have a negative impact on Ennis - he has spent his whole life hiding who he is and now he has to 'hide' his marriage.  It's a desperately sad situation and made even more so by the fact that even if the story was set in the present day, they still couldn't marry.  I have a colleague who was married by a minister a few years ago and recently had a civil partnership ceremony - he talks about his 'first wedding' as being 'when we were illegal'.  Although he can say that in jest now, it was a source of frustration and disappointment at the time.  Perhaps if Ennis and Ellery were open about it, it could have an impact on social perceptions but I'm not sure.  It would take an extremely strong and determined couple to do that.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #7749 on: November 27, 2006, 04:55:13 pm »
How 'bout if I ask reeeeaallly nicely?   :P

I can't say I am surprised that June & Souxi turned out to be cosmic twins .. lol ..

Hahahahaha Milli!! LOL

;D