Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166675 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2700 on: August 08, 2006, 03:39:41 pm »
Why Lucise, you say that as though there is something wrong with it!

Do you find anything unusual in my taking my medicine, sleeping for three hours, getting up, writing a chapter, taking more medicine, going to bed, getting up, writing a chapter, taking more medicine...

it's a normal day home sick -- isnt it?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2701 on: August 08, 2006, 03:50:45 pm »
Why Lucise, you say that as though there is something wrong with it!

Do you find anything unusual in my taking my medicine, sleeping for three hours, getting up, writing a chapter, taking more medicine, going to bed, getting up, writing a chapter, taking more medicine...

it's a normal day home sick -- isnt it?

Louise, like Jenny said, don't strain yourself on the chapter writing part.
I mean, if you absolutely have to, and if it cheers ya up some, then please go ahead with the chapters.. ;)

One other thing ~ No taking meds with Glenfiddle like the lads do ..  ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 04:47:19 pm by Lucise »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2702 on: August 08, 2006, 04:10:14 pm »
Hahahah Lucise.

I'll take that under advisement.

In the meantime, big plot revelations in the new update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/89607.html  "Chapter 56:  The Other Wellesley"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2703 on: August 08, 2006, 04:42:22 pm »
Chapter 55 really has had me thinking. You know, reading the Laramie Saga is opening a new world to me, in several ways. First, I had no idea until I saw the movie how hot it is to see two men in love. Wow. Paradigm shift. Then I discovered slash and, through the davecullen forum, "Taking Chances." Whoa.

Up until this series, I had read exactly ONE romance novel in my life – over thirty years ago. Clearly not my cup of tea. Then I got ahold of "Taking Chances" and its successive books and everything changed. Adding the (frequent!) sex to the story is a whole new way of looking at romance for me, and it is a real eye-opener. Okay, I don't read hetero romances, so maybe they've got it too, but it just didn't have any appeal to me. But having sex included in this story adds an element to the emotional aspect of the characters that just grabs me and won't let go. I can't wait to read more, and it isn't just because it's titillating – and it is – but it fully explores the human condition within the confines of a loving relationship. I'm hooked.

Within this new way of looking at love, I'm discovering things about myself. I'm examining my own feelings about sex, its role in my marriage, and its natural place in our world. I have to say I've always wondered what all the fuss was about over consensual sexual practices. There doesn't seem to be a forum for discussion of what it all means except in places like this. Is this a first? It is for me.

We are clearly such sexual creatures and yet we keep it hidden like an underground river: powerful, hidden just beneath the surface, with the capacity to nourish or drown, depending on whether we open the gates or dam it all up. This exploration of love and life with Ennis and Jack and now Ellery is nourishing me in ways I didn't know were possible. Better late than never!

Louise, if ever you're wondering if all the hard work you're doing is reaching anyone to the depth you hoped, know this: it's changed me, for the better. And I know I'm not alone.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2704 on: August 08, 2006, 05:25:48 pm »
Chapter 55 really has had me thinking. You know, reading the Laramie Saga is opening a new world to me, in several ways. First, I had no idea until I saw the movie how hot it is to see two men in love. Wow. Paradigm shift. Then I discovered slash and, through the davecullen forum, "Taking Chances." Whoa.

Up until this series, I had read exactly ONE romance novel in my life – over thirty years ago. Clearly not my cup of tea. Then I got ahold of "Taking Chances" and its successive books and everything changed. Adding the (frequent!) sex to the story is a whole new way of looking at romance for me, and it is a real eye-opener. Okay, I don't read hetero romances, so maybe they've got it too, but it just didn't have any appeal to me. But having sex included in this story adds an element to the emotional aspect of the characters that just grabs me and won't let go. I can't wait to read more, and it isn't just because it's titillating – and it is – but it fully explores the human condition within the confines of a loving relationship. I'm hooked.

Within this new way of looking at love, I'm discovering things about myself. I'm examining my own feelings about sex, its role in my marriage, and its natural place in our world. I have to say I've always wondered what all the fuss was about over consensual sexual practices. There doesn't seem to be a forum for discussion of what it all means except in places like this. Is this a first? It is for me.

We are clearly such sexual creatures and yet we keep it hidden like an underground river: powerful, hidden just beneath the surface, with the capacity to nourish or drown, depending on whether we open the gates or dam it all up. This exploration of love and life with Ennis and Jack and now Ellery is nourishing me in ways I didn't know were possible. Better late than never!

Louise, if ever you're wondering if all the hard work you're doing is reaching anyone to the depth you hoped, know this: it's changed me, for the better. And I know I'm not alone.

No, you are not alone. I really liked your review Neatfreak. I feel the same way you do about this story.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2705 on: August 08, 2006, 10:13:44 pm »
I started this long winded post on Louise's LJ... but as I kept blabbering on, figured it more appropriate to continue it over here:

SPOILER

This is totally CSI!!!

I don't know how you managed to get all this set out Louise.  You have confirmed my desire to never be involved in detectivin' stuff!  Very enjoyable to read, but way too complicated for my little brain to figure out.

Maybe someone can prepare a Cliff's notes?

Seems like smarmy [dumb] Brad is on his way to getting out of their lives, huh?  At least, I hope so. 

Regarding Leslie's comment about Brad maybe having a good heart deep down, just being confused (sorry Leslie, I'm paraphrasing)... personally I don't have any sort of impression of what he's really like deep down.  I haven't really tried to sympathize with him though.  I have of course been totally annoyed with his flirting with Ellery all along, and I am glad Ellery seems to have lost all tolerance for it.  Maybe if I learn more about Brad and his life I will care more about him, but I just don't right now.  One of the things I'm confused about is whether or not the Brotherhood knows he is queer? (sorry that was a horribly worded sentence.)  Okay I don't know why I'm having such a strong reaction to Brad - aside from the fact that he got his former friend killed and hampered another investigation and had Ennis beaten up/kidnapped.  Okay, I'm also pissed 'cause he seems willing to let his money do all his work for him.

I dislike Brad more than Amos right now, is that crazy????

Okay I'm going to try and calm down and read neatfreak's post again.

>:(
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2706 on: August 08, 2006, 10:23:31 pm »

I am not articulating well this evening neatfreak, but wanted to attempt to respond to some of this.  Basically, I agree with you completely!  I don't know if men feel this way (about themselves, not about us), but one of my personal gripes with the world relates to society and sexuality and how women are viewed/treated.  I think it's 'the world at large' but I also think it penetrates our everyday lives as well.  "Look fetching but don't look slutty."  "Don't be a prude but don't be easy either."  It's like in theory you are supposed to be open and free about sex, but then you're not supposed to tell anyone about it.  I don't know if I'm making any sense, and I'm trying to avoid being too personal or giving TMI (lol), but yes, for whatever reason, exploring all this stuff with Ennis and Jack and Ellery is nourishing.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2707 on: August 08, 2006, 10:24:24 pm »
The Ballad of Ennis and Ellery

Laramie town
of Wild West renown
saw heroes in its day
But none so bold, so brave, so gay
as Ennis and Ellery for they say
these boys sure took your breath away

They outperformed the rest by far
The locals still retell
the famous tale of Ennis Del Mar
and Deputy Ellery John Cantrell

Ennis came to Laramie town
to find himself and look around
He stumbled into Ellery’s bar
and ran straight into some bizarre
behaviours that he thought by far
the strangest sights seen by Del Mar

Near nude boys with painted faces
dancing round in pink shoelaces
Men were kissing and embracing
Ennis quaked, his brain was racing
If this was what was meant by queer
he thought that he was outta here

Then suddenly a silence fell
The stripping stopped
(and just as well)
Ennis paused
saved by the bell
and Deputy Ellery John Cantrell

Ennis did a double take
He thought perhaps this guy was fake
But one look in those smoky eyes
and Ennis Del Mar was hypnotised

Ellery fixed his gaze on Ennis
Felt that air of brooding menace
Lusted after eyes so brown
that curly hair
that cute lil frown

So Deputy Ellery John Cantrell
went after Ennis Del Mar
And it didn’t take long for the sparks to fly
as they sat and drank at the bar
Though Ennis was shy
he fell for the guy
and ended up drunk in bed
with a bottle of whisky
that got them so frisky
they woke up next morning half dead

Ennis and Ellery found true love
and Laramie is their home
Never will Ellery leave his man
nor ever will Ennis roam

And still they say
in Laramie town
the local folks retell
The Epic Romance
of Ennis Del Mar and Deputy Ellery John Cantrell

Ennis and Ellery’s fame has spread
(along with exploits in their bed)
And you can read it all online
courtesy Louise van Hine
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 10:31:22 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2708 on: August 08, 2006, 10:32:18 pm »
MAGICMOUNTAIN!!!

Holy Moly that was super duper fantastic!!  Who should we get to record it for us?  Waylon Jennings?
 ;D

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2709 on: August 08, 2006, 10:41:36 pm »
MAGICMOUNTAIN!!!

Holy Moly that was super duper fantastic!!  Who should we get to record it for us?  Waylon Jennings?
 ;D

I second that.  This is amazing!