Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166219 times)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3590 on: September 07, 2006, 10:37:38 am »
I just wished to add that I have already received LJ comments from a new reader who is barrelling through "Taking Chances" with breathtaking speed, leaving comments, and is very very pleased with your recommendation, Lori!

It's the "Lori Effect" in action!
Good to hear Louise! The last time I checked there were about 2 or 3 who have decided to start reading because of Lori's glowing review!

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #3591 on: September 07, 2006, 10:42:31 am »
I might point out as well that I posted the same review on my personal journal, where I've had several friends and readers of my other work say they're interested in starting it, too.

Also, baileymoyes just posted a very sane, personal opinion which was not presented as FACT or "the truth."  I thanked him (her?) for demonstrating how an opinion ought to be offered.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3592 on: September 07, 2006, 10:46:21 am »
Jeff, that is exactly my point:  for gay men who are out... it IS practically vanilla.  For people still trembling on the verge or still in the closet, it is wild, titillating, and mega-kinky.  I opted for mild, consent-based bondage and play, because to me this is about as far as Ennis would go with his natural dominance.

Of course, for many gay men who are out, perhaps the majority, that would still be "wild, titillating, and mega-kinky," and I'd emphasize the "titillating," as they'd get excited reading about such activities but would never actually do them. The true "kink community" is most definitely in the minority of gay men.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

yb

« Reply #3593 on: September 07, 2006, 10:47:53 am »
I just wished to add that I have already received LJ comments from a new reader who is barrelling through "Taking Chances" with breathtaking speed, leaving comments, and is very very pleased with your recommendation, Lori!

It's the "Lori Effect" in action!

The Lori effect is in action again, Christie Wood (do you remember her?) just posted on another forum that because of MadLori's journal, she decides to start reading your story.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3594 on: September 07, 2006, 10:50:48 am »
whoa, excellent...!  the Lori Effect snowballs!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #3595 on: September 07, 2006, 11:18:05 am »
So, I never go over there but I'm curious...am I being burned in effigy over on the DC forums yet?
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline Quiplash

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm Jack on the outside, Ennis on the inside.
    • as I live a few more questions
« Reply #3596 on: September 07, 2006, 11:27:54 am »
So, I never go over there but I'm curious...am I being burned in effigy over on the DC forums yet?
Not that I can see :-)
--Quiplash.  See all my PhotoShopped Brokeback Mountain fanart creations here

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3597 on: September 07, 2006, 11:49:52 am »
Whoa .. you lot have been very busy this morning! 

Are there any positive things happening over at the DC forums? ..lol, all I ever hear are crazy stories.  I could find out for myself, but I rather not ..

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3598 on: September 07, 2006, 12:43:38 pm »
Whoa .. you lot have been very busy this morning! 

Are there any positive things happening over at the DC forums? ..lol, all I ever hear are crazy stories.  I could find out for myself, but I rather not ..
I go over there occasionally because I still have some friends over there back from the good old days....I'm up to your post count on the DC forums  ;D  so go figure how much involved I used to be over there!! It's a real shame, it was SO much fun over there when I first joined the forum back in February  >:(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3599 on: September 07, 2006, 12:44:59 pm »
Well, we have fun here, don't we June? I know I do...

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!