Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 4140743 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16580 on: June 27, 2020, 10:17:07 am »
That never happened to me. On the way home there were a series of bends (both on the road and the rail) just before my town. They were well known as being useful for waking one up. In the morning I dozed on the first section and worked on the later section. There was a guy who lived lower down the Mountains and taught at the Girls school next door (the 2 schools shared the library and some classes). There was an agreement that we never sat next to each other on the long interurban train journey but did on the short suburban journey and the walk up the hill to the school when we chatted.

So the train had its own "alarm clock".   :laugh:  Knowing me, I'd still manage to miss my stop.  Just my luck.

Well, I can see you guys focus much more closely on your driving than I do!  :laugh:

I think one of the reasons I do is that I occasionally watch those "dashcam" videos on YouTube that show traffic accidents.  Since I've started watching them, I've noticed I've become more focused while I drive, keeping safe distances from the car in front of me, double checking before I change lanes, the whole deal.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16581 on: July 01, 2020, 02:40:16 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope that everyone is doing well!

Next week I have a 'stay-cation' planned.  Of course, there is nothing going on, so I'll be spending most of the time getting some cleaning done around the apartment.  I need to give all the surfaces a thorough cleaning, I need to clean my bathroom and shower curtain.

(no comments, Sonja)

I also need to take the car to the shop on  Monday.  Nothing  major, just routine maintenance is due.  So that means on Sunday I'll need to get the car cleaned.  LOL  I also plan to meet a friend for a social distancing lunch one day that week.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brian

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16582 on: July 01, 2020, 03:02:19 pm »
I wish you were here. I have the planning meeting for our walking group here today. They are arriving at 10am and I have yet to clean the bathroom, now 7am. I did vacuum on Monday and cleaned kitchen yesterday.
When I have my car serviced, they usually wash it for me. It is not a thorough job but better than nothing.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16583 on: July 01, 2020, 03:44:45 pm »

(no comments, Sonja)

Who? Me?

*whistles innocently*

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16584 on: July 02, 2020, 09:20:54 am »

I also need to take the car to the shop on  Monday.  Nothing  major, just routine maintenance is due.  So that means on Sunday I'll need to get the car cleaned. 

I've never done that! Is it basic car-repair etiquette?

BTW, have I mentioned that my car was stolen last Friday night?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16585 on: July 02, 2020, 09:54:14 am »
IBTW, have I mentioned that my car was stolen last Friday night?

I don't think you have. That's awful!  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16586 on: July 03, 2020, 10:02:41 am »
I don't think you have. That's awful!  :(

Thanks. It wasn't a great car -- 11 years old, 105,000 miles. Luckily, I still had full insurance coverage. Hopefully the insurance company will pay me the Kelly Blue Book price, which is about $5,000. But minus my $1,000 deductible.

At least the insurance is paying for a rental until the case is settled. So I guess I'll be going car shopping while I still have wheels.

Also, a relatively minor problem, but unless the car turns up soon -- and it's been almost a week, so I'm guessing it won't -- the insurance company essentially "buys" it from me, for which I'll need the title. And somehow the file I had of car-related papers has been missing for several months.

So because of the shutdown any DMV-related thing has become a huge hassle. The nearby AAA has a DMV counter that few people know about -- normally you can go in and waltz out with a title five minutes later, as opposed to the two hours you have to wait to do anything at a regular DMV. Now you have to get there in the morning and sign up. If you get one of the 180 spots, you can leave and they'll call you when it's your turn.

But apparently although the AAA doesn't open until 8, people start lining up to sign at like 6:30-7 a.m. Obviously those people are either superhuman or are just getting off a night shift.  :laugh:

They probably need to get in ASAP. I have the luxury of working from home and generally having a flexible schedule, so most days I could go back at any time.

There's another DMV nearby where you make an appointment. But the AAA woman said they're booked into August.

After all that, I feel like I should be getting a "real ID" while I'm at it. Do you all have yours already?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16587 on: July 03, 2020, 10:30:27 am »
Your car was stolen!? What a GDBoaUS!! Did it happen at home? How awful!!

One time my son's Jeep was stolen and used in a robbery. They drove it into the front of a gun store. Fortunately, there was not much damage that couldn't be repaired. So, he got his car back and they arrested the perps.

I have some kind of a LoJack thing on mine that traces my car if it gets stolen.

I don't know what a real ID is, but I just renewed my driver's license online. It was pretty easy.
When you see the smiley face in the sky, the pandemic will be over!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16588 on: July 03, 2020, 11:43:19 am »
Your car was stolen!? What a GDBoaUS!! Did it happen at home? How awful!!

My son parked it outside his girlfriend's house at 1 a.m., and when he came out at 4 a.m. it was gone. It's actually her parents' house (she was home from school in Chicago) and it's in a quiet, residential, middle-to-upper-middle-class neighborhood.

I live in an adjoining middle-class neighborhood with essentially no violent crime but there is the occasional car theft. Though I think usually they're nice cars!

There was a loud, wild party going on down the block -- 20ish-year-olds who had rented an Airbnb house. My son and his girlfriend noticed them and the police officer who took my report said they'd had a number of complaints. So I hate to point the finger with no evidence, but ... Of  course, it could have been someone who felt they could get away with it while the party provided a distraction.

I don't know what a real ID is, but I just renewed my driver's license online. It was pretty easy.

Hmm. Maybe they don't have it in CO, although I thought it was a national thing. In fact, my understanding was that MN is behind other states on it.

It's kind of a cross between a driver's license and a passport. You have to provide extra identification: two forms of ID, a utility bill with your address on it, etc. Starting in October, you won't be able to board a domestic plane flight without one. Not that there's probably going to be a rush on domestic flights in October, but still. I've been procrastinating because my passport is expired, so it seemed like a hassle. Now, of course, it will be a much bigger hassle because I'll have to renew the passport to get the real ID (or a SS card might work, I can't remember).

You'd still need a passport for an international flight. Not that there'll be much demand for (or possibility of) those anytime soon, either ...  ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16589 on: July 03, 2020, 09:23:38 pm »
Hmm. Maybe they don't have it in CO, although I thought it was a national thing. In fact, my understanding was that MN is behind other states on it.

It's kind of a cross between a driver's license and a passport. You have to provide extra identification: two forms of ID, a utility bill with your address on it, etc. Starting in October, you won't be able to board a domestic plane flight without one. Not that there's probably going to be a rush on domestic flights in October, but still. I've been procrastinating because my passport is expired, so it seemed like a hassle. Now, of course, it will be a much bigger hassle because I'll have to renew the passport to get the real ID (or a SS card might work, I can't remember).

You'd still need a passport for an international flight. Not that there'll be much demand for (or possibility of) those anytime soon, either ...  ::)

Real ID is a federal mandate, somehow related to security. I got mine for Pennsylvania a year ago. There was a fee for the Real ID, plus I had to pay for a driver's license renewal, although they gave you an extension on your driver's license.

At the time I didn't realize how long it might be before I got on a plane again. It just seemed kind of stupid that if I didn't have a Real ID, at some point I would have to use my passport to fly from Boston across Cape Cod Bay to Provincetown.  :laugh:

(That business about getting on a plane had and has nothing to do with Covid-19. After I had to cancel a badly needed vacation at the last minute because my father was hospitalized, it just seemed to that I really can't plan another vacation while he's still alive. I couldn't deal with having to cancel a vacation again as I had to do last fall.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.