Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8739805 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16640 on: August 03, 2020, 03:19:08 pm »
Have you ever tried a light box?  Or a visor thingie?

I got one of those light things for free and my desk needed additional illumination, so I figured I might as well kill two birds with one lightbox.

I didn't notice any big difference. Though I have had people tell me they've worked for them. But then, placebos work, too.

Sunshine noticeably works and very quickly, even through a windshield. At least for me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16641 on: August 03, 2020, 09:43:28 pm »
I'm with you, Chuck. I enjoy the darker mornings when I can sleep in until, 6:30 am or so! And the evenings are so much nicer without the sun blaring down until halfway into the night! I am a closet Wiccan too. I am a Scot, after all!

You mean like the witches of North Berwick?  ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Berwick_witch_trials
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16642 on: August 05, 2020, 09:11:16 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy Hump day to you all!

;D

I have another staycation coming up in two weeks, I'm looking forward to them.  ;D  It will be nice to not have to wake up for work.

I had the maintenance man at my apartment today.   In my bedroom I have two closets, and they have the bi-fold door that look like this.

The bracket in the bottom right corner was coming loose, and any time I opened the door, it would come off of the track at the top.   In addition to this, in my bathroom, my shower has a window on it.  The grout that meets where  tiles on the window match up to the tiles on the wall was cracked, and I was able to push them into the wall.  I wasn't sure if water was getting behind them, so I had the maintenance man fix it before it caused bad damage.

Managed to get through the hurricane with no major issues.  Power flickered on and off a few times, but it never went off completely, so I consider myself lucky.  There are people who are without power and may not have it restored until Sunday!

:o

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16643 on: August 05, 2020, 09:21:10 pm »
One of the reasons this is a big deal to me is that I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. I first noticed in college that I got depressed in winter. To the extent I connected it with the season, I assumed it had to do with cold. Nobody was talking about SAD back then.

Then I moved to New Orleans and never even thought about it or noticed it. Again, I might have thought the nice winter temperatures were the reason the depression wasn't hitting me. But by the time I came back to Minnesota, SAD was a pretty familiar concept and I realized that was probably a factor. I noticed if I went outside in early afternoon on a really sunny day I'd immediately feel better, even if it was cold and I was inside my car (under the moon roof).

Have you ever tried a light box?  Or a visor thingie?

I must be honest, I don't get how those work.   I mean, I get that they provide light, but I thought that part of SAD was that is was caused by the lack of natural sunlight, so how does a light box help since it's artificial light?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16644 on: August 06, 2020, 08:09:40 am »

I must be honest, I don't get how those work.   I mean, I get that they provide light, but I thought that part of SAD was that is was caused by the lack of natural sunlight, so how does a light box help since it's artificial light?

Apparently the brain doesn't care if it's natural or artificial.  It just has to be bright, typically 10,000 lux (which is very bright).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16645 on: August 06, 2020, 09:43:00 am »
Apparently the brain doesn't care if it's natural or artificial.  It just has to be bright, typically 10,000 lux (which is very bright).

Mine wasn't all that bright, so my brain spotted it as an impostor.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16646 on: August 08, 2020, 01:51:15 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Hope that everyone is having a good weekend!

Work for this week has been mixed, a few busy days, and a few slower ones, which is good, gives me a chance to breathe.

Had the maintenance man here twice this week, he was here on Wednesday fixing an issue with my bedroom closet door, and a crack in the grout in my shower.  Then, on Thursday my A/C unit started to leak water, so he had to come back on Friday and fix that for me.

Today is just a day to chill out, except when I do a work out.  Tomorrow is laundry.

After next week, I have another 'staycation' scheduled.  I had originally planned to do a day trip to the Jersey Shore, but given the way the cases of Covid are spiking, and the fact that a number of attractions are closed, I decided against it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16647 on: August 08, 2020, 01:53:40 pm »

Mine wasn't all that bright, so my brain spotted it as an impostor.

Thanks for the info, BBP!  Katy, perhaps you need a stronger light box.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16648 on: August 08, 2020, 02:24:19 pm »
You mean like the witches of North Berwick?  ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Berwick_witch_trials

Thanks for the link. It appears that those "witches" were Danish.

I haven't really studied witchcraft or Wicca, but I have read a book Scottish Witchcraft: The History and Magick of the Picts. It is not a religion but has some spiritual elements. Much of the book talks about being self-reliant, being able to "read" the weather, path finding, using fire, tools, how to snare a rabbit, etc. The properties of various herbs, trees and plants.  Astronomy. It also covers amulets and talismen, festivals, songs and dances. Natural living. Pretty tame stuff. No casting spells, evil curses, that kind of thing.               
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16649 on: August 08, 2020, 02:33:58 pm »
I always thought this Wiccan former NPR reporter, the late Margot Adler, sounded interesting

https://www.wnpr.org/post/margot-adler-being-wiccan-and-npr-discrimination