Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8744314 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16540 on: June 22, 2020, 10:10:32 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope that everyone is doing well!

I had a good time seeing my parents for Father's Day, and my dad enjoyed his candies.

Work was on the busy side today, but I managed to successfully get everything done, and shut down at my normal time.  ;D  That's always a plus.

The exterminator is due to come to the building tomorrow, so I must make sure everything is clean and presentable.  In the past few days, I've had a few wasps get into my apartment, and because of that he can come now.  I noticed they had been flying around the roof for the past week or so, but they can't spray because the pesticides can hurt the beneficial bees.  However, now that the pests have made their way inside, they have to come spray.  I actually saved the corpses of two of the pests (LOL) because property management can be fined for spraying without proof, so I saved them in case they are needed.  LOL

I got a nice thank you message from my grand-nephew for his gifts that I sent to celebrate his graduation up to first grade.

He really enjoyed them!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16541 on: June 22, 2020, 10:17:19 pm »
Great to catch up  with you friend! I also look forward to your Dad jokes and Pride Month cards on fb. I'm glad you can stay close with your family during these crazy times

I'm glad you are liking the Pride Month cards and Dad Jokes!  LOL  I will admit, I enjoy everyone's reactions more than the jokes themselves!

On a bad day, yes. Normally it's probably closer to 2.5 than to 3 hours.  But as of the last two days, it was only 2 hours, yay! Many people are still working from home I guess. Considerably less traffic.   My location of working was meant to be temporary - but I love my colleagues, my boss and our specific way of doing things, and the atmosphere in our old villa so much, I just stayed. The long commute is the only downside really. It's also one of the reasons I work only two days a week.

I can't imagine a commute of 2 hours or more.  I would go crazy!  On a bad day here in NJ, it can take me about an hour to get to work.  Usually, I can get to work and home in about 40 - 45 minutes, depending on traffic.

I recognized it from the shot of the room! Did the Sopranos live in Bloomfield? Or, if not, does Tony's trip in the credits from Manhattan to his home resemble a drive from NYC to Bloomfield?

There's a fun new guessing game! Show a movie still of a set, deserted, and see if people can guess the movie by that context. We have a whole forum for games!

I must be honest, I was not a viewer/fan of The Sopranos, so I can't tell you anything about it!  LOL  It's my understanding that the show is based in the NJ/NYC area, but I don't know if they were in Bloomfield in the show, or if Holsten's was just an unnamed NJ location.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16542 on: June 23, 2020, 03:04:11 am »
I can't imagine a commute of 2 hours or more.  I would go crazy!  On a bad day here in NJ, it can take me about an hour to get to work.  Usually, I can get to work and home in about 40 - 45 minutes, depending on traffic.

Ehm, I think I wasn't clear. ::) Sorry about that.
2.5 to 3 hours is both ways! So it's 1 1/4 hours to 1.5 hours each direction. And with Corona, it was 1 hour each last week.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16543 on: June 23, 2020, 03:52:38 am »
For 9 years (1982 to 1990) I travelled 2 to 2 and a half hours each way by train to work. On the occasions, perhaps once per month, that I drove it was about an hour and a quarter each way. I marked essays and slept on the way.
It varied over the years but I drove about 2 km to the station and caught the 5.35am interurban train. I changed to a suburban train about 7.15am for another 20 minutes then walked the final 20 minutes to the school arriving just before 8am. School lessons started at 8.30am. The afternoon varied, sometimes I could leave early and other times I worked back. Lessons finished at 2.45pm. I liked to walk into my house in time for the 6pm news.
 I use to get up at 4.30am, probably why my radio now comes on at 6am and I am usually out of bed by 6.30am (earlier in summer, I wait for the heat pump which comes on at 6am to do its job in winter). However now I think leaving the house before 9am is early.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16544 on: June 23, 2020, 09:33:49 am »
I must be honest, I was not a viewer/fan of The Sopranos, so I can't tell you anything about it!

Ha! It took me years. I watched the whole thing in, I think, 2015 -- and the early episodes show Tony Soprano driving past the Twin Towers!

Once I started watching it, I watched it every night (one episode per night) for all six or however many seasons. I thought it was was really good, although it may not be to your taste.

It's my understanding that the show is based in the NJ/NYC area, but I don't know if they were in Bloomfield in the show, or if Holsten's was just an unnamed NJ location.

As I recall it was just some unidentified place they went out for dinner, although at the time I didn't really pay attention.

All you'd have to watch to see if it's familiar is the opening credits ... I was going to say, if you ever have a chance to see them, then I remembered we're in the modern age! No need to wait, if you're interested.

It's a fairly long opening credits (1:37, though it seems longer) and it's all taken from in and around Tony Soprano's car as he drives from Manhattan to his home in a posh NJ neighborhood, passing various landmarks and less posh neighborhoods. I assume it was shot on location, and some of the scenery may be familiar to you. (Don't feel obliged to watch if you'd rather not -- I just thought I'd post it in case you're interested. It's not violent.)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16545 on: June 25, 2020, 02:01:13 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope that everyone is doing well!

Another day working from home, and keeping track of whatever work related accomplishes I can to help pass the time.   Was able to help one of my RM's get a new client to open an account, and it has a high-dollar balance, so that's a win.

;D

Talked to a friend on the phone last night, it was good to hear her voice.  I need to call another friend tonight, to check in on her.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16546 on: June 25, 2020, 02:10:48 pm »
Ehm, I think I wasn't clear. ::) Sorry about that.
2.5 to 3 hours is both ways! So it's 1 1/4 hours to 1.5 hours each direction. And with Corona, it was 1 hour each last week.

Ok, so a one way commute isn't to bad, but still a fair amount of time.

For 9 years (1982 to 1990) I travelled 2 to 2 and a half hours each way by train to work. On the occasions, perhaps once per month, that I drove it was about an hour and a quarter each way. I marked essays and slept on the way.   It varied over the years but I drove about 2 km to the station and caught the 5.35am interurban train. I changed to a suburban train about 7.15am for another 20 minutes then walked the final 20 minutes to the school arriving just before 8am. School lessons started at 8.30am. The afternoon varied, sometimes I could leave early and other times I worked back. Lessons finished at 2.45pm. I liked to walk into my house in time for the 6pm news.   I use to get up at 4.30am, probably why my radio now comes on at 6am and I am usually out of bed by 6.30am (earlier in summer, I wait for the heat pump which comes on at 6am to do its job in winter). However now I think leaving the house before 9am is early.

I can't imagine a commute 4 -5 hours a day.  I would look for a new job.  All I would be able to do is think of the 25 hours a week spent driving, and it would frustrate me.

Ha! It took me years. I watched the whole thing in, I think, 2015 -- and the early episodes show Tony Soprano driving past the Twin Towers!

Once I started watching it, I watched it every night (one episode per night) for all six or however many seasons. I thought it was was really good, although it may not be to your taste.

As I recall it was just some unidentified place they went out for dinner, although at the time I didn't really pay attention.

All you'd have to watch to see if it's familiar is the opening credits ... I was going to say, if you ever have a chance to see them, then I remembered we're in the modern age! No need to wait, if you're interested.

It's a fairly long opening credits (1:37, though it seems longer) and it's all taken from in and around Tony Soprano's car as he drives from Manhattan to his home in a posh NJ neighborhood, passing various landmarks and less posh neighborhoods. I assume it was shot on location, and some of the scenery may be familiar to you. (Don't feel obliged to watch if you'd rather not -- I just thought I'd post it in case you're interested. It's not violent.)

I definitely recognized some of the scenes from that opening.  Funny to see.  That theme song was also played as a single on NY Radio back when the show was popular.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16547 on: June 25, 2020, 03:01:18 pm »
I just noticed that my liquor store has started a program to help out-of-work hospitality workers. Maybe look into that.

Hard liquor is a state monopoly in Pennsylvania. This would not be done.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16548 on: June 25, 2020, 03:45:08 pm »

I can't imagine a commute 4 -5 hours a day.  I would look for a new job.  All I would be able to do is think of the 25 hours a week spent driving, and it would frustrate me.

As I said, I did not drive, so could use the time sitting in the train. I loved the school (I was there 15 years) but conditions deteriorated so I eventually did leave. However that then led to my retraining as a school librarian and even then taking early retirement at age 59

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16549 on: June 26, 2020, 11:05:38 am »

That would be too much for me, too. But if I had to do it, I'd listen to books on tape or podcasts in the car. And of course I'd much rather use public transportation so I could do whatever I wanted and wouldn't have to worry about driving in bad weather.