Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8739387 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16550 on: June 26, 2020, 03:35:54 pm »
That would be too much for me, too. But if I had to do it, I'd listen to books on tape or podcasts in the car. And of course I'd much rather use public transportation so I could do whatever I wanted and wouldn't have to worry about driving in bad weather.
I cannot listen to talk while driving. I cannot concentrate on 2 things at once. I do have music on.
After I left the school with the 2 hour train commute each way. nearly all of my following jobs were about an hour each way driving. I wanted to live in the Mountains with views and surrounded by bush and there were not many teaching jobs nearby so I had little choice.
In the last year of my mother's life, I looked after her 3 days per week to give my sister a break. That meant either 2 and a half hours each way in the train or and hour and a quarter driving on Sunday.
After Mum died in July 2006, I did not need as much casual work. In January 2010 I moved to NZ and have not done any paid work since. I can be in the city in 10 minutes by car or 30 minutes walk and bus. I took the bus yesterday for the first time since early March. It seemed strange.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16551 on: June 26, 2020, 04:50:21 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

TGIF!

Another busy day at work, but all is accomplished and I can relax for a few days.  ;D  After next week I have a week off, and I'm looking forward to it. 

I'm supposed to be bringing the car in for service.  I haven't really used it, so I'm not sure it's needed, but it is time for the 1 year service visit.   That year went fast.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16552 on: June 26, 2020, 04:54:02 pm »
I also have a week off after next week!

What a coincidence! It must have a profound meaning somehow....

We are connected in more ways than we know, Chuck!!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16553 on: June 26, 2020, 04:54:11 pm »
That would be too much for me, too. But if I had to do it, I'd listen to books on tape or podcasts in the car. And of course I'd much rather use public transportation so I could do whatever I wanted and wouldn't have to worry about driving in bad weather.

As I said, I did not drive, so could use the time sitting in the train. I loved the school (I was there 15 years) but conditions deteriorated so I eventually did leave. However that then led to my retraining as a school librarian and even then taking early retirement at age 59

I'm not sure I could do a daily train commute like that either.  I would always feel like I would fall asleep, and miss my stop.  :laugh:

I cannot listen to talk while driving. I cannot concentrate on 2 things at once. I do have music on.   After I left the school with the 2 hour train commute each way. nearly all of my following jobs were about an hour each way driving. I wanted to live in the Mountains with views and surrounded by bush and there were not many teaching jobs nearby so I had little choice.  In the last year of my mother's life, I looked after her 3 days per week to give my sister a break. That meant either 2 and a half hours each way in the train or and hour and a quarter driving on Sunday.  After Mum died in July 2006, I did not need as much casual work. In January 2010 I moved to NZ and have not done any paid work since. I can be in the city in 10 minutes by car or 30 minutes walk and bus. I took the bus yesterday for the first time since early March. It seemed strange.

I'm not sure I could do an audio-book either.  Like you, I would find myself focusing on the book, and not the driving, or focusing on the driving, and not remembering anything about the book.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16554 on: June 26, 2020, 04:54:49 pm »
I also have a week off after next week!

What a coincidence! It must have a profound meaning somehow....

We are connected in more ways than we know, Chuck!!!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight   :laugh:

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16555 on: June 26, 2020, 05:49:07 pm »
I'm not sure I could do a daily train commute like that either.  I would always feel like I would fall asleep, and miss my stop.  :laugh:
That never happened to me. On the way home there were a series of bends (both on the road and the rail) just before my town. They were well known as being useful for waking one up. In the morning I dozed on the first section and worked on the later section. There was a guy who lived lower down the Mountains and taught at the Girls school next door (the 2 schools shared the library and some classes). There was an agreement that we never sat next to each other on the long interurban train journey but did on the short suburban journey and the walk up the hill to the school when we chatted.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16556 on: June 26, 2020, 08:50:02 pm »
Well, I can see you guys focus much more closely on your driving than I do!  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16557 on: June 27, 2020, 10:13:08 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy Saturday!

I got up a little earlier than I usually do for a Saturday, but I slept well, so I'm not feeling tired.  ;D

Skies are grey today, ad there is a breeze blowing.  Weather prediction for today is heavy thunderstorms with high winds.  We'll see if they actually happen. It's not sunny, but very humid now.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16558 on: June 27, 2020, 10:17:07 am »
That never happened to me. On the way home there were a series of bends (both on the road and the rail) just before my town. They were well known as being useful for waking one up. In the morning I dozed on the first section and worked on the later section. There was a guy who lived lower down the Mountains and taught at the Girls school next door (the 2 schools shared the library and some classes). There was an agreement that we never sat next to each other on the long interurban train journey but did on the short suburban journey and the walk up the hill to the school when we chatted.

So the train had its own "alarm clock".   :laugh:  Knowing me, I'd still manage to miss my stop.  Just my luck.

Well, I can see you guys focus much more closely on your driving than I do!  :laugh:

I think one of the reasons I do is that I occasionally watch those "dashcam" videos on YouTube that show traffic accidents.  Since I've started watching them, I've noticed I've become more focused while I drive, keeping safe distances from the car in front of me, double checking before I change lanes, the whole deal.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16559 on: July 01, 2020, 02:40:16 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope that everyone is doing well!

Next week I have a 'stay-cation' planned.  Of course, there is nothing going on, so I'll be spending most of the time getting some cleaning done around the apartment.  I need to give all the surfaces a thorough cleaning, I need to clean my bathroom and shower curtain.

(no comments, Sonja)

I also need to take the car to the shop on  Monday.  Nothing  major, just routine maintenance is due.  So that means on Sunday I'll need to get the car cleaned.  LOL  I also plan to meet a friend for a social distancing lunch one day that week.