Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8736449 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16600 on: July 11, 2020, 03:53:41 pm »
I loved Bewitched. Back when it was still on in primetime, it was a big issue in my family for a while. It was on at, like, 8 p.m. and my dad was really adamant that my brother and I had to go to bed by 8. So I was always really upset (if only they'd had DVR -- problem solved!). Finally even my grandmother suggested to my dad (her SIL) that maybe he could just let me watch it. So finally, he did.

What I didn't realize at the time was that Bewitched is a perfect allegory for pre-feminist marriage, and not just because Darren has a career and Samantha's a housewife. (The first episode was in 1964, the year after Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique was published.) Darren is head of the household and makes the rules. In one episode, Samantha has to ask his permission to buy a new coat and he refuses for some reason. (That episode is also interesting from our perspective: After he refuses the coat, Endora casts a spell making him extremely stingy. At one point, he goes into the office and is horrified to find his secretary wastefully using just one side of pieces of scratch paper when she could write on the backs. Now it would be the other way around!)

Most telling, Samantha has these great powers but under Dareen's rules was required to keep them under wraps at all times.

As a kid I 'got' that this was how households were expected to run, but it just seemed so wrong to me.  Darrin always had to be right, and be in charge.  As for Endora, I didn't like her attitude that Darrin was beneath her.

I do remember an episode later in the show's run, when Tabitha was around.  Darrin had wondered aloud if it would be better for Samantha to go public about being a witch, and she used her powers to give him a dream to show him what could happen, and he wok up and decided that it should stay secret.

That Girl, which I also loved, started a couple of years later, running immediately after Bewitched. It was very feminist. So the two shows were like "before" and "after" bookends.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16601 on: July 11, 2020, 03:58:44 pm »
I'll always remember one episode where Endora told Samantha that the closest Samantha would ever get to Bermuda was an onion.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16602 on: July 12, 2020, 01:50:31 pm »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16603 on: July 12, 2020, 01:51:07 pm »
As a kid I 'got' that this was how households were expected to run, but it just seemed so wrong to me.  Darrin always had to be right, and be in charge.  As for Endora, I didn't like her attitude that Darrin was beneath her.

It seemed wrong to me, too. My own family wasn't quite that rigidly traditional. As for Endora, I think she's just kind of the stereotype bitchy MIL who won't mind her own business -- except in this case she has powers.

That is hilarious. I wouldn't have remembered the opening scenes on my own but watching that I can see that it's an exact recreation of it, shot for shot -- the mannequin winking, the hair messing, literally every single shot -- except with some goofy stuff thrown in.

I'm not the hugest fan of that show in general, but when it comes to musical satire, I tell you, between that and "Ding Fries Are Done," it's genius.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16604 on: July 12, 2020, 05:18:18 pm »
Hilarious!

That is hilarious. I wouldn't have remembered the opening scenes on my own but watching that I can see that it's an exact recreation of it, shot for shot -- the mannequin winking, the hair messing, literally every single shot -- except with some goofy stuff thrown in.

I'm not the hugest fan of that show in general, but when it comes to musical satire, I tell you, between that and "Ding Fries Are Done," it's genius.

I'm glad you both liked it!    Family Guy appeals to my sense of the absurd.  The things they do on that cartoon just make me laugh.  One of my faves is Bobby McFerrin (Don't Worry, Be Happy) falling down the stairs.

Then, someone edited it to make it last for 12 minutes.  I've never watched the full 12 minutes, but the fact that someone did it wrecked me for a while.

It was just like when someone did a 5 minute loop of the teacher from the Peanuts cartoons talking.  I will admit I watched the 5 minutes of it, laughing, and then made it my ring tone.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16605 on: July 12, 2020, 07:05:30 pm »
It was just like when someone did a 5 minute loop of the teacher from the Peanuts cartoons talking.  I will admit I watched the 5 minutes of it, laughing, and then made it my ring tone.

Great idea!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16606 on: July 15, 2020, 03:24:06 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

How is everyone doing?

Well, it's hump day here.   I got through the first two days of work rather easily, and got caught up on everything I needed to.   Today has actually been slow/quiet, so I'm happy about that.  ;D

Have to go out after work and pick up some groceries, and then on Friday I'll get the rest of my order.   This month is a three paycheck month, so a little extra funds in the savings account this month, which is always a bonus.

I'm debating a day trip to the Jersey Shore next month when I'm on Stay-cation again.  Of course, I will have a mask and gloves, and I won't be lounging on the beach with crowds of people, but we'll have to see how things are going at that point.  If the numbers are really spiking again, I won't be going.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16607 on: July 18, 2020, 02:44:05 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope everyone is well and having a good weekend!

My day started with a rude awakening.

Awakened from a deep sleep by my apartment buzzer at 5:00 am (after going to bed at 1:00 am).  Thought it was a dream, then the buzzer rings again.

I quickly get dressed and quietly go downstairs, and see a woman through the windows by the door, I have no idea who she is.

I open the door and she is very apologetic, saying she must've pressed the wrong apartment, she meant to ring apartment #4.  I told her I live in apartment #4.

She says she's looking for Raymond in apt #4, building #30.  I tell her that's the next building down.  She apologizes again and runs off.

Went back to bed, but didn't sleep well, now I'm gonna feel tired the rest of the day.

Have a social distance gathering to attend this evening, at some friends' backyard.  I'm bringing a platter of fruit, with some fluff and cool whip mixed together as one dip, and some Nutella and cool whip mixed for another dip.   I included some pound cake that I'll cut into large chunks to dip as well.

I also got a bunch of wooden skewers so people can pick up the fruit, and can toss it and use another to get more fruit, if they choose to.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16608 on: July 18, 2020, 06:31:22 pm »
Don't you have a system where you can talk to the person from your own apartment?

Do you have to go down the stairs every time someone rings your bell?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16609 on: July 18, 2020, 07:51:02 pm »
Don't you have a system where you can talk to the person from your own apartment?

Do you have to go down the stairs every time someone rings your bell?
I wondered at this also. My sister lives on the 8th floor of her unit block. When the buzzer goes in her kitchen, I jump out of my skin. I only buzz her when I first arrive from the airport and she knows it will be me. Then she gives me a fob for the door while I stay with her.