Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8735635 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16630 on: August 01, 2020, 09:19:02 pm »
Hmm ... interesting that this pagan post appeared on page ... 1666!! Dah dah daaahhhhh ...  :o

Does this mean this blog has slipped into ... The Twilight Zone?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16631 on: August 02, 2020, 10:27:23 am »

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, Chuck's Wiccan holidays ....!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16632 on: August 02, 2020, 06:18:15 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Weekends pass too quickly!

LOL

Sunday evening here, and the laundry is done, dinner has been prepared, and the bed is made.  ;D  Now I can relax for the rest of the day.

Hmm ... interesting that this pagan post appeared on page ... 1666!! Dah dah daaahhhhh ...  :o

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, Chuck's Wiccan holidays ....!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16633 on: August 02, 2020, 07:44:02 pm »

I like it when it gets darker.  LOL   I think that perhaps I shouldn't have been raised in the Catholic religion, but rather the Wiccan religion.

I enjoy marking the time through the year, and the Wiccan religion has all of its holidays on what I call 'seasonal marks'.

Lughnasadh: Celebrated on August 1, this is a time when the Goddess turns over control to the God. It is a time of feasts and craft festivals.

I'm with you, Chuck. I enjoy the darker mornings when I can sleep in until, 6:30 am or so! And the evenings are so much nicer without the sun blaring down until halfway into the night! I am a closet Wiccan too. I am a Scot, after all!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16634 on: August 02, 2020, 11:53:46 pm »
Lughnasadh: Celebrated on August 1, this is a time when the Goddess turns over control to the God. It is a time of feasts and craft festivals.

I guess we all sorta missed that one, didn't we?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16635 on: August 03, 2020, 10:46:12 am »
I'm with you, Chuck. I enjoy the darker mornings when I can sleep in until, 6:30 am or so! And the evenings are so much nicer without the sun blaring down until halfway into the night! I am a closet Wiccan too. I am a Scot, after all!

Interesting -- Scotland currently has earlier sunrises and later sunsets than places the rest of us live, except of course Sonja. I got curious, so I searched sunrise sunset times in Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Denver, New Jersey, Stockholm, Berlin and Munich (sorry, Chrissi, I'm never clear on where you live in Germany relative to big cities), Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The sun sets and rises at most cities in the United States at roughly the same time, give or take 20-30 minutes. Denver and Philadelphia are only one minute apart. The eastern U.S. cities are, as you would expect, roughly the same in terms of overall daylight, though of course the actual times vary not just because of latitude differences but because of where in the time zone the city is located. The sun rises at about the same time in Denver and Minneapolis, but it sets later in Denver, for some reason.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are outliers -- the sun rises half an hour earlier and sets 45 minutes later than in Minneapolis. Here I thought I was going to have to move to Denver, but I guess now it's Edinburgh -- when they'll let me in. And of course Stockholm has even longer days -- in summer.

I'd have to return here for winters -- on Dec. 21, Edinburgh's sunset is at 3:40 p.m and Stockholm's at 2:48!  :o

I didn't realize, until someone pointed it out to me a couple of years ago, that most of Europe is at a higher latitude than the United States but has mostly warmer winters because of ocean currents rather than distance from the sun.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16636 on: August 03, 2020, 10:47:06 am »
Oops! I just realized I forgot to check New Zealand. But that would really confuse me.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16637 on: August 03, 2020, 10:51:50 am »
One of the reasons this is a big deal to me is that I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. I first noticed in college that I got depressed in winter. To the extent I connected it with the season, I assumed it had to do with cold. Nobody was talking about SAD back then.

Then I moved to New Orleans and never even thought about it or noticed it. Again, I might have thought the nice winter temperatures were the reason the depression wasn't hitting me. But by the time I came back to Minnesota, SAD was a pretty familiar concept and I realized that was probably a factor. I noticed if I went outside in early afternoon on a really sunny day I'd immediately feel better, even if it was cold and I was inside my car (under the moon roof).

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16638 on: August 03, 2020, 01:59:19 pm »
Interesting -- Scotland currently has earlier sunrises and later sunsets than places the rest of us live, except of course Sonja.

Actually, where Sonja lives is about the same latitude as Scotland

One of the reasons this is a big deal to me is that I have Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Have you ever tried a light box?  Or a visor thingie?

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16639 on: August 03, 2020, 03:01:10 pm »
Dunedin is almost 46'S and Minneapolis is almost 45'N so I guess sunrise and sunset are not that much different except being opposite times of the year.
Minneapolis will have much more extreme temperatures being so far from the ocean.
The hardest thing I found when I moved here from Sydney was how low the sun was in the sky all day from May to August. Probably made worse because the city is so hilly. There were several accidents on the motorway a few mornings ago blamed on sun strike. I have transitional lenses and I find weeding hard as I look at the ground then up level and the sun is right in my face making my glasses go dark.I generally go to bed about 9 or 9.30pm and am up between 6 and 6.30am so in summer it seems I never see the dark which really upsets seems to upset my body.
Sunrise today is at 7.53am and sunset 5.35pm In Mid winter it is 8.20am and 4.59 pm Mid Summer (DLS) 5.43am and 9.28pm