Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8739213 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16720 on: September 30, 2020, 09:48:17 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Whoa.  Things have been busy on this end, work wise.   The end of the month, and the first three business days of the next month are always busy for me.   I have a report that I have to compile called "Unfunded Commitment Report", and I have to rely on replies from others to get the information compiled together, and then sent to the bank's finance area by the third business day of the month.

Fun!  ::)

I got asked to go to my friends' house on Friday for a socially distant fire pit night.  LOL   We'll be outside, and I offered to bring the making for s'mores.

For those who don't know, a s'more looks like this.

You toast a marshmallow over a fire, and then you place it on one graham cracker.  On another graham cracker you place some Hershey's chocolate.  Then you sandwich them together, and eat it when the hot marshmallow melts the chocolate.

I have the graham crackers, marshmallows and Hershey's bars.  However, I also got an assortment of other things to use in place of the Hersehey's bar.  I got a pack of Reese's peanut butter cups, and then three different Ghirardelli squares.  Chocolate caramel, dark chocolate raspberry, and white chocolate caramel.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16721 on: October 01, 2020, 10:02:01 am »
We'll be outside, and I offered to bring the making for s'mores.

For those who don't know, a s'more looks like this.

You toast a marshmallow over a fire, and then you place it on one graham cracker.  On another graham cracker you place some Hershey's chocolate.  Then you sandwich them together, and eat it when the hot marshmallow melts the chocolate.

I have the graham crackers, marshmallows and Hershey's bars.  However, I also got an assortment of other things to use in place of the Hersehey's bar.  I got a pack of Reese's peanut butter cups, and then three different Ghirardelli squares.  Chocolate caramel, dark chocolate raspberry, and white chocolate caramel.

I'll be interested to see if anyone doesn't know. Around here, they're practically as familiar as roasted hot dogs.

I've never tried the gourmet versions you're planning, though. Great idea -- they sound delicious!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16722 on: October 01, 2020, 03:10:08 pm »
I'll be interested to see if anyone doesn't know. Around here, they're practically as familiar as roasted hot dogs.

I've never tried the gourmet versions you're planning, though. Great idea -- they sound delicious!

I think Chuck may have meant that for us not of the American persuation  ;D

I've actually had a s'more once. Complete with starry night, fire pit and all. Although I normally have a sweet tooth, I found it too sweet for my taste.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16723 on: October 01, 2020, 04:18:31 pm »

I've actually had a s'more once. Complete with starry night, fire pit and all. Although I normally have a sweet tooth, I found it too sweet for my taste.
Same here, it sounds quite sickly to me and I had no idea what it was. Not really fond of marshmallows.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16724 on: October 02, 2020, 10:15:19 am »

Good point! Although some people here who don't frequently venture outside urban areas might not be familiar with them either, because they require a campfire to toast the marshmallows.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16725 on: October 02, 2020, 11:35:10 am »
You can easily toast marshmallows over the flame of a gas stove, or "hob" as they call it in Europe. It certainly doesn't have the cachet of a campfire, especially for us Brokies.

I've learned to substitute these kosher marshmallows which are made from plant gelatins, rather than gelatin that is the byproduct of animal processing.

Of course, you could go authentic and make marshmallows out of (what else?) mallow root. It grows all over. You can also use lovage, angelica, or other plants that have soft fleshy roots. You just soak them in sugar syrup or any other syrup.

Now, for the chocolate part, I like your idea of using Ghirardelli squares. I've tasted a lot of chocolate lately and those give the Swiss chocolate a run for the money!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16726 on: October 02, 2020, 12:03:48 pm »
You can easily toast marshmallows over the flame of a gas stove, or "hob" as they call it in Europe. It certainly doesn't have the cachet of a campfire, especially for us Brokies.

That's true. I wouldn't go that far myself, but a s'more lover could!

Anyway, since all of the s'mores I've ever eaten were toasted on campfires in Minnesota, I also wasn't sure how widespread the custom was. It's like trying to guess whether people outside the US have heard of people in the GtPPoT thread. Brad Pitt? Probably. Jennifer Aniston? I don't know.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16727 on: October 03, 2020, 06:35:55 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Last night was the socially distant fire pit night, and the s'mores were a hit.

When I turn the work laptop off at 5:00 on Fridays I generally leave it off until Monday, but this weekend was different.   I have a very big report that needs to be submitted by noon on the 3rd business day of the month, which is this Monday.  As of Friday the report was not yet done.  I usually work on it with my coworker, Sacha.

Sacha and I decided to get together today to finish it, so I signed on the laptop, and had intended to work with her to finish it.  However, she got stuck doing something with her girls, so I stayed on alone and did other work for about an hour, and then shut down.

We're going to meet up tomorrow about 3:00 to finish the work, and this way I can get it approved and then submit it by noon on Monday.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16728 on: October 03, 2020, 06:37:44 pm »

I must admit, I would be worried about doing them in the kitchen over the burner.  I would be worried that they would fall off the skewer and then I'd have a melted gooey mess to clean up.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16729 on: October 04, 2020, 11:06:00 am »

I must admit, I would be worried about doing them in the kitchen over the burner.  I would be worried that they would fall off the skewer and then I'd have a melted gooey mess to clean up.

Or they could catch fire and drop onto the paper towel on the stove and ...