Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8735509 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17200 on: June 03, 2021, 08:32:01 am »

I was wondering about how Latinx was pronounced as well, and it just so happens that I'm watching a Vice channel movie called "HIV:  The Neglected Pandemic", and one of the people interviewed was Javier Muñoz from "Hamilton".  He was talking about being Latinx and he pronounced it as "Lateenex"

That's "Lateenex," to rhyme with (sorry!) Kleenex?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17201 on: June 03, 2021, 11:03:35 am »
He was talking about being Latinx and he pronounced it as "LLateenex"

That's good news! I've been pronouncing it LA-tin-əx, with a kind of mumbled schwa in the last syllable. A bit awkward. Pronouncing it La-TEEN-ex is more graceful, and since Latino/a stress the second syllable, it makes sense that Latinx would, too.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17202 on: June 03, 2021, 04:36:45 pm »
That's "Lateenex," to rhyme with (sorry!) Kleenex?

That's good news! I've been pronouncing it LA-tin-əx, with a kind of mumbled schwa in the last syllable. A bit awkward. Pronouncing it La-TEEN-ex is more graceful, and since Latino/a stress the second syllable, it makes sense that Latinx would, too.

Yes, it rhymes with "Kleenex".........Latin is pronounced "Lah-tin", but a male is La TEEN oh, and a female is La TEEN ah, so it's La TEEN ex

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17203 on: June 07, 2021, 08:24:53 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Ok, so when's the next 3-day holiday weekend?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We've got time for that, so let's stay in the present.  How is everyone doing now?

Work is still busy, but I'm chugging along, thankfully. 

I had a dentist appointment today for my 6 month cleaning.  They found a small cavity that I have to get taken care of next week.  Other than that, no major issues with the teeth.

The heat is starting to work my nerves, and summer hasn't even begun yet!   :laugh:  Thank God for central air!

Will be at mom and dad's place for father's day on the 20th.  Mom has ordered a bunch of food, and we'll have about 11 people there for lunch.  Will be good to see everyone again.  :)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17204 on: June 07, 2021, 11:08:58 pm »

I was wondering about how Latinx was pronounced as well, and it just so happens that I'm watching a Vice channel movie called "HIV:  The Neglected Pandemic", and one of the people interviewed was Javier Muñoz from "Hamilton".  He was talking about being Latinx and he pronounced it as "Lateenex"

Wait. I missed this. There is an entire channel devoted to Vice?  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17205 on: June 08, 2021, 10:24:17 am »
Ok, so when's the next 3-day holiday weekend?

This post reminded me to check what day July 4 is on this year. It's on a Sunday! Yay!

hat's about perfect, as far as I'm concerned. I work Saturdays, so I wouldn't want it on that day. If it's on Sunday we'll get Monday off. And since that's usually my weekend, I can either take Tuesday off or save the PTO. Probably the former -- I have a lot of PTO left to use this year as it is.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 03:58:32 pm by CellarDweller »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17206 on: June 08, 2021, 04:01:51 pm »
Wait. I missed this. There is an entire channel devoted to Vice?  :o

https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/shows

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17207 on: June 08, 2021, 04:02:53 pm »
This post reminded me to check what day July 4 is on this year. It's on a Sunday! Yay!

hat's about perfect, as far as I'm concerned. I work Saturdays, so I wouldn't want it on that day. If it's on Sunday we'll get Monday off. And since that's usually my weekend, I can either take Tuesday off or save the PTO. Probably the former -- I have a lot of PTO left to use this year as it is.

It works for me too.  It means I'll get Monday off work, so I can stay up late for fireworks (if I choose to go), and sleep in the next day.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17208 on: June 08, 2021, 10:17:54 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17209 on: June 12, 2021, 05:11:42 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

I hope you are all having a good weekend.

;D

I had a dentist appointment on Monday, and they found a small cavity.  I'm not in any pain, so it must be pretty small.  I have an appointment on Monday at 2:00 to have it filled.  Since I have the time to use, I took the full day off.

Mom had cataract procedure done on Monday on one eye, and she said everything went well.   She has an appointment for the 22nd on her second eye, so I took that day off so I could take her to the appointment.

Did some shopping today, and cleaning around the apartment, otherwise, it's been a quiet day.

I posted a link to the Disney / Pixar short film "Out" in the Culture Tent section of BetterMost.  Go check it out.  ;)

I ordered some stuff from Amazon last week,  it should be arriving next week.   I added a few new metal pins to my Super Friends collection, and I ordered a small print of the poster for Dashing In December.