Author Topic: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...  (Read 377378 times)

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
Re: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...
« Reply #280 on: November 22, 2008, 04:25:03 pm »
Ledger's family slams 'false' biography

Mex Cooper, Daile Pepper
November 21, 2008 - 4:31PM

Heath Ledger's family has slammed a book written about the dead Australian actor that suggests he was mentally ill.

Ledger's family released a statement this afternoon slating the unauthorised biography, titled Heath: A Family's Tale.

The statement said author and News Limited journalist Janet Fife-Yeomans had falsely insinuated close family members had spoken to her.

Fife-Yeomans interviewed Ledger's uncle Hadyn, who is estranged from the family.

He tells the author about his own bipolar diagnosis and friends tell of their suspicions about the actor's mental health before he died of an accidental drug overdose.

The book suggests a family history of mental illness and has sparked worldwide media reports that Ledger could have suffered from bipolar disorder.

Ledger's immediate family, close friends and associates moved today to distance themselves from the book, they said contained false allegations about the actor's father, Kim.

"The book contains gross inaccuracies, false allegations (against Kim Ledger) and many incorrect and unsubstantiated comments about Heath in his youth, provided by estranged family members and some people who had little to do with Heath's life,'' the statement said.

"Further, Fife-Yeomans has no right to infer that we (as Heath's family) in any way authorised this book.

"We have never contributed to or authorised any publications about our son.''

Ledger, 28, was found dead in his New York apartment in January.

The book has been touted by publisher Murdoch Books as a "definitive look at the real life of Heath Ledger from childhood to fully fledged stardom, with exclusive personal insights from his family and friends''.

The Age was seeking comment from Murdoch Books at the time of publication.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/11/21/1226770725826.html
Sometimes I miss you so much,I can hardly stand it

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2008, 05:23:46 pm »
Ledger's family slams 'false' biography

Mex Cooper, Daile Pepper
November 21, 2008 - 4:31PM

Heath Ledger's family has slammed a book written about the dead Australian actor that suggests he was mentally ill.

Ledger's family released a statement this afternoon slating the unauthorised biography, titled Heath: A Family's Tale.

The statement said author and News Limited journalist Janet Fife-Yeomans had falsely insinuated close family members had spoken to her.

Fife-Yeomans interviewed Ledger's uncle Hadyn, who is estranged from the family.

He tells the author about his own bipolar diagnosis and friends tell of their suspicions about the actor's mental health before he died of an accidental drug overdose.

The book suggests a family history of mental illness and has sparked worldwide media reports that Ledger could have suffered from bipolar disorder.

Ledger's immediate family, close friends and associates moved today to distance themselves from the book, they said contained false allegations about the actor's father, Kim.

"The book contains gross inaccuracies, false allegations (against Kim Ledger) and many incorrect and unsubstantiated comments about Heath in his youth, provided by estranged family members and some people who had little to do with Heath's life,'' the statement said.

"Further, Fife-Yeomans has no right to infer that we (as Heath's family) in any way authorised this book.

"We have never contributed to or authorised any publications about our son.''

Ledger, 28, was found dead in his New York apartment in January.

The book has been touted by publisher Murdoch Books as a "definitive look at the real life of Heath Ledger from childhood to fully fledged stardom, with exclusive personal insights from his family and friends''.

The Age was seeking comment from Murdoch Books at the time of publication.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/11/21/1226770725826.html

All this sensationalism and misinformation really is too bad.  One thing I find kind of disheartening about this report and the family's reaction is the sense that they feel that a diagnosis of bi-polar disorder would be somehow shameful or a stigma.  I mean, if Heath really wasn't bi-polar, then it's a good idea to stop the spread of false information.  But, the idea that someone might be bi-polar isn't really a put down.  It's an illness like any other illness and shouldn't involve judgment.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2008, 05:40:55 pm »
All this sensationalism and misinformation really is too bad.  One thing I find kind of disheartening about this report and the family's reaction is the sense that they feel that a diagnosis of bi-polar disorder would be somehow shameful or a stigma.  I mean, if Heath really wasn't bi-polar, then it's a good idea to stop the spread of false information.  But, the idea that someone might be bi-polar isn't really a put down.  It's an illness like any other illness and shouldn't involve judgment.

Well said, Amanda!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2008, 11:02:27 pm »
Well said, Amanda!

Well my bipolar self and son are going to agree with that.It is nothing to be ashamed of. If it is untrue then that should be rectified certainly.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #284 on: November 25, 2008, 10:38:20 am »

I agree. However, the practice of some magazines or journalists to ask "experts" to give an opinion over a celebrity's behavior and make a diagnosis without actually treating them, bothers me a lot. It puts a lot of stigma over certain diseases that the person in question may not even have.

People get depressed or behave funny for a wide range of reasons, not necessarily because of an illness. Life isn't easy for anybody, including celebrities. In Heath's case he was probably depressed at the time of his death because of his break up with Michelle. Breakups hurt. Everybody gets depressed over a breakup. But that doesn't mean Heath was bipolar or committed suicide. I think whoever wrote that did it to get people buy the book.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #285 on: November 25, 2008, 05:53:45 pm »
The awards season is getting under way. Which means there may be more tributes for Heath and his Joker, either in the form of nominations, or actual awards.

Yesterday, Heath's dad accepted theGQ Actor of the Year Award on his son't behalf.  Further info about the award and about Mr. Ledger's acceptance speech at the llink. 

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,26278,24708144-5013560,00.html

(Cross-posted from the HeathHeathHeath thread on Meryl's request.  :) )

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2008, 12:44:50 pm »
THERE is a scene in the new Hollywood blockbuster Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke finds impossible to watch without shedding a tear.

Tears rolled down her face when she shot the scene. Again in the quiet and darkness of the editing booth.

The emotional trigger has nothing to do with the storyline of Twilight or the acting by the young cast.

The scene takes place in a rugged, forest region of Oregon in the US north-west and it was while scouting the location on January 22 that Hardwicke heard her beloved friend, Heath Ledger, was dead.

"We were in a van scouting," Hardwicke, her eyes moistening again and hands trembling slightly, told AAP during an interview in a suite in Los Angeles' Beverly Wilshire Hotel.
"Someone's phone rang. They answered it and I instantly realised something was wrong with the reaction.

"It was very strange. The person said: 'OK, I won't say anything'.

"I said: 'What was that about?' and they said: 'We don't even know if it is true. There's rumours Heath has passed away'.

"Then one second later my cell phone rang and it didn't stop ringing."

Hardwicke, a 53-year-old California director whose breakthrough was the 2003 independent drama, Thirteen, cast Ledger as the lead of her 2005 film, Lords of Dogtown, set on the Los Angeles beaches of Santa Monica and Venice.

The director soon received confirmation the rumours were true.

Ledger had died from an accidental overdose of prescription painkillers and anti-depressants in his Manhattan apartment.

"Everybody who worked on Dogtown called because they all loved Heath," Hardwicke said.

"To all of the kids, Emile Hirsch and Victor Rasuk, Heath was their mentor. They all freaked out beyond despair.

"For me, I can't really watch the one scene in Twilight where I received that call.

"That's where I heard that news. It is my one little thing. My moment.

"To hear about someone you love, someone so magical, passing like that, was just crushing."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24755211-5003420,00.html

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2008, 12:58:14 pm »
Oh dear, MilAn, that is just too sad for words.  :'(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2008, 02:21:57 pm »
Here's kind of a happier Heath "tribute" (I see it as a tribute, anyway...  8) )

I picked up the "Election Issue" of MAD Magazine because it did a satire of The Dark Knight.  There's a panel in which the Joker is dangling Rachel (Maggie G) out a skyscraper window. They drew him with a golden Oscar sticking out of his pocket!

(And he asks, "didn't I go camping with your brother once"?)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #289 on: December 05, 2008, 02:23:53 pm »
Here's kind of a happier Heath "tribute" (I see it as a tribute, anyway...  8) )

I picked up the "Election Issue" of MAD Magazine because it did a satire of The Dark Knight.  There's a panel in which the Joker is dangling Rachel (Maggie G) out a skyscraper window. They drew him with a golden Oscar sticking out of his pocket!

(And he asks, "didn't I go camping with your brother once"?)

That's funny!  Is that out on the stands now, or am I too late?
Ich bin ein Brokie...