Author Topic: Will you watch the Oscars this year?  (Read 79101 times)

retropian

Will you watch the Oscars this year?
« on: January 23, 2009, 04:40:42 am »
I'll be rooting for Heath and Annie but I don't think I will watch. I'm too afraid of being disappointed again. I think Heath deserves to win because his was simply the best performance of 2008 hands down.

I'd like to see Sean Penn win for his portrayal of Harvey Milk, and I'd like to see Milk win Best Picture. But that would still seem like a sop to the gay audience. So, poor academy awards, they're damned if they do and damned if they dont with me. I guess I'm still bitter about Crash over BBM.

How about you?

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Will you watch the Oscars this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 05:51:01 am »
Living In Sweden.....I'll be sleeping like a baby...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:57:18 am »
Yeah, I will be watching..

I love seeing all the film stars on the red carpet and getting glimpses of them in the audience.

Some of the speeches get on my nerves, but I still sit through them.

And of course I will be waiting for the results of the Best Supporting Actor.

We get them live in the middle of the day here.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:49:34 pm »
No, I won't be watching. I will never forgive the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences for what they did to Brokeback Mountain (Heath in particular) in 2006. Nor can I ever forget the dreadfully hurtful, homophobic snipes Tony Curtis (an Oscars voter) made about Brokeback Mountain. And I'm terrified that Philip Seymour Hoffman will again take Heath's Oscar away from him. I don't want to put myself through all that angst.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:43:15 am »
Oscars? :-\ (yawn) not a chance...
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 06:52:56 am »
I never was much of an Oscar fan -- I made an exception for BbM.

The experience felt a lot like a shower of pig's blood on a "Carrie" prom night.  It may not be entirely rational, but part of me still believes that "the fix was in."

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:41:56 pm »
Nope. They lost me in 2006.

I'll be sleeping soundly through it all. I can always see the dresses on the net the next day.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:29:04 pm »
And I'm terrified that Philip Seymour Hoffman will again take Heath's Oscar away from him.

Heath should have won in -06, no question about that. Nothing whatsoever even came close to Ennis. The reasons why Heath didn't win, - well, we know'em.  :-\ :-\ :-\

But by the same kind of reasoning, though, that says Heath should obviously have won for Ennis, when considering only the strength of the acting and the character portrayal and not all those extraneous factors that played a part in the actual -06 award: I have to admit that I think PSH should win for his performance in "Doubt". I personally think his role is better, more nuanced, more challenging, deeper and much more interesting than the Joker.

So... much as I'd really really  like Heath to win, I think the fact of it is that if Heath wins, it's because this time it "was his turn" just as the Academy figured PSH was next in line in -06. It's "now or never" and an opportunity for the Academy to feel good about themselves. After all, - they'll be thinking - PSH already has an Oscar and he's still around to win another one some years form now. Never mind that his was actually the better performance this year. (Of course, they might actually disagree with me and think the Joker simply is the best thing ever. After all, it was on the strength of that performance that TDK became the second highest grossing film ever in the US).

Either way, a win for Heath or no this time around, it will leave me with a sort of bitter after-taste. He should have won for Ennis. There's no making that right. That's the long and short of it.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 03:17:25 pm »
I will watch them this year, though my expectations have been much lowered by the loss of BBM to Crash.  In other words, I take the Oscars with a grain of salt. I have no favorite for front-runner that I would like to see win Best Picture. I would like to see Kate Winslet finally win an Oscar. Of course, Heath had better get an Oscar. But at this point, with him not being with us, it's like water under the bridge

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 03:19:47 pm »
If I´ll watch?

The jury is still out on that one...

I want to see Heath win but at the same time, a win wouldn´t make me feel much better anyways.
They are simply too late.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:32:32 pm »
Dunno--I'll probably be too busy cramming for a tour (my life has been one long CRAM...).
Observation: The American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is notorious for make-up calls.  Heath may win. Also, they may feel it's "time" for another posthumous award.

If you look at the list of pictures that have won anything significant, beginning with "Wings" and "Sunrise" in 1927, and ending with "No Country for Old Men,"---you'll probably only find about five you'd like to own.

All right....10.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 06:48:13 pm »
Have just heard the wonderful news that Heath won a British Academy Award.  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 09:55:12 pm »
There is no "science" to the Academy at all.  It's a self-contrived and industry self-serving popularity contest riddled with politics and money.

That said, I think that they will give Heath the Oscar "out of sympathy"  :-\ , and while yes it's a day late and a dollar short, I'm hoping that they will make a big deal out of it and I hope they mention Brokeback Mountain (especially) as part of it.

So, if that happens, I'll look for a Youtube of it later in the evening after the telecast is over.  :D

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 10:09:07 pm »
Have just heard the wonderful news that Heath won a British Academy Award.  :D

It's too bad he won't be around to accept it. :-\
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 11:58:26 pm »

The whole topic of the Oscars still stresses me out and makes me angry.  The fun I used to have watching the Oscars, prior to BBM, is thoroughly gone for me now.  I still watch other award shows, but happily try to avoid the Oscars.  This year, curiosity may get the better of me and it's likely that I'll watch the best supporting actor category out of curiosity.  Usually, that category comes up early in the show, I recall.  So if I watch any of it, it will only be that little bit.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:08 pm »
The whole topic of the Oscars still stresses me out and makes me angry.  The fun I used to have watching the Oscars, prior to BBM, is thoroughly gone for me now.  I still watch other award shows, but happily try to avoid the Oscars.  This year, curiosity may get the better of me and it's likely that I'll watch the best supporting actor category out of curiosity.  Usually, that category comes up early in the show, I recall.  So if I watch any of it, it will only be that little bit.

My sentiments exactly.  But I don't think I'll watch.  I'm fairly certain Heath will win it.  I can read after the fact about who accepted it for him and what he or she said.  I rather hope it'll be his Mom and/or Dad, but certainly couldn't blame them if they didn't.  If they do, I'll catch it on youtube.

I do also hope that Mickey Rourke wins, because no other performance this year moved me like his in "The Wrestler" did.  I fell in love with that character, and that's saying a lot considering I don't much like Mickey Rourke and I don't much like professional wrestlers.  I'm sorry, but I'll be pissed off (but not a bit surprised) if Sean Penn wins.  I continue to maintain that he is largely overrated.  The only performances I ever bought him in at all were in "Taps" and "I Am Sam."  Other than those two, I can always see him acting, and that includes "Milk."
No more beans!

Offline dejavu

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 02:03:19 pm »
Yes, I plan to watch, and have my "scorecard" from the newspaper ready to check off the winners.

There's still something fun about it, unless I just fall asleep because of the lateness of the night.

Last year, I don't think I watched, because I didn't care for many of the movies.  This year, I'll be rooting for Heath and Anne.  I saw both of their movies, and particularly liked "Rachel Getting Married."  Heath's performance was stellar, but TDK wasn't as much my type of movie. 

Also, I definitely want to see how many Oscars "Milk" gets (if any at all), because that was my favorite movie of the year.  I loved Sean Penn's portrayal of Harvey Milk, but Rourke turned me off just from watching the preview in the theater, so I didn't go see "Wrestler."
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 03:15:37 pm »
Just a reminder for all of us "connoisseurs of crap" that "The Razzies" are the night before the Academy Awards!!!

http://www.razzies.com/
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 04:13:50 pm »
Rourke turned me off just from watching the preview in the theater, so I didn't go see "Wrestler."

It'll be a shame if you miss it - it's really a great movie.  So literate - the central character being a good man with a "fatal flaw" and all that.  Good stuff.
No more beans!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 04:16:34 pm »
Oscars? :-\ (yawn) not a chance...

I'm with you on that.   I will just watch whatever Netflix sends me.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 05:24:17 am »
    Yes I will definitely watch them.  I think that people can change, and if they will do that, then
I can accept the change of heart.  I think that Heath, and Jake have made a great inroad towards
people accepting the gay position.  Milk is a great example of that.  I dont think that there has been
any of the sly innuendos this year like the BBM episoded.  I hope they have grown up since that time.
I am going to give them another chance.  If they mess it up again however, I will never watch again...
Done and done done...........

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 01:33:03 pm »
I'll probably forget to watch them, and then watch the parts that interest me on YouTube afterward.

BTW, y'all, though I do think Heath clearly deserved the Oscar for BBM, he himself was quoted as saying he's glad he didn't win it, and I believe he meant it.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 02:19:17 pm »
Quote from: Ellemeno
... though I do think Heath clearly deserved the Oscar for BBM, he himself was quoted as saying he's glad he didn't win it, and I believe he meant it.

Did he say why?
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 03:03:42 pm »
Did he say why?

I can''t remember the verbatim, I'll see if I can find it.  I wonder if any of the Heath-quoters here can remember.  It was about the negative aspects of it.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 12:50:26 pm »
I will watch.  I love watching all the famous faces, what they're wearing, what they're saying, watching them win.  I also hope "Milk" gets a load of awards.  I thought it was a great movie, and although I've never been crazy about Sean Penn, I thought he was brilliant in this  movie and deserves the best actor award.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 01:37:13 pm »
I'm rooting for Mickey Rourke, though I thought Sean Penn was good, too. For that matter, I also thought Frank Langella was good.

I'll watch. I've enjoyed the show all my life, and I'm not going to let the academy's stupid decision in 2006 ruin it for me. I don't think it matters who wins -- outside of 2006, I can never remember even what movies won BP -- but the show itself entertains me. When it doesn't bore me to death, that is.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 02:12:09 am »
I've been invited to a party, which I will likely attend for a little while, but it's really hard to care.  Oscars never meant much to me, and even less so after BBM got the shaft.

I think Milk is the best of the bunch this year, although Mickey Rourke did a great job as well.  If I had any doubts about how political the Oscars are, watching The Reader reminded me.  One part serious Brit drama, one part inappropriate love story, one part Holocaust = Oscar contender, apparently.

Did anyone see the episode of Extras where Kate Winslet is saying that all she needs for an Oscar is a Holocaust film?   Classic.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

retropian

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 02:52:42 am »
AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! I'm having a weak moment. I'm thinking I might watch after all. I like Hugh Jackman and would like to see how he handles hosting duties. He's a song and dance man and might have a realyy good opening. Fudge, I'm torn, what to do  ???

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 08:35:49 am »
Come on retropian - is there anyone who can actually resist the charms of Hugh Jackman - recently voted the Sexiest Man Alive?  I know I'll be watching!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 09:12:46 am »
I´ll be watching. I hadn´t planned to, but I now have a "msn date" with a friend and we´re gonna watch it together and go the whole nine yards and comment on everyone´s outfits etc. I have even bought coke and popcorn!

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 09:38:08 am »
I´ll be watching. I hadn´t planned to, but I now have a "msn date" with a friend and we´re gonna watch it together and go the whole nine yards and comment on everyone´s outfits etc. I have even bought coke and popcorn!

Erm... but where will you be watching? What channel is showing it in Sweden?  ???

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 10:09:24 am »
Erm... but where will you be watching? What channel is showing it in Sweden?  ???
I think channel 9 is airing it here, but I don´t have it so I´ll be watching online.
There were several websites that aired the Golden Globe Awards , so I don´t reckon it will be any difficulty to find somewhere to watch the Oscars.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 10:25:05 am »
Oh, OK. Thank you. I was curious because I had just checked that no channel was airing it here that I could see - hence heping me with my resolve not to watch!  ;D   ::) I would have liked to see the red carpet thingie before the show though - it's quite fun to have a look at the gowns and to look out for possible fashion disasters.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 10:36:23 am »
I've managed to stay away these past two years and am not going to watch it tonight either. I'll probably watch the youtube acceptance speech for Heath's award, as I've done for many of this season's 'Joker' fest, but that's it. The Accademy Awards are finished - for me.

plus I no longer pay for cable and don't watch TV anymore - just DVD's of my favourite series and movies.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 12:32:32 pm »
Oscars never meant much to me, and even less so after BBM got the shaft.

Same here Celeste!

I see you are on BM as regularly as I am!  ;D

:-*
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Katie77

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 06:31:15 pm »
It is Monday morning here in Australia, and we are getting a live telecast of the Oscars from 10am this morning.

I'll watch, because I like all the award type shows, even though I do get up with some of the speeches and cringe at some of the not so funny jokes. I like seeing the actors out of their screen characters, and of course I love seeing the gowns and all the razza mataz.

Of course for us Aussies we will be extra interested to see how Hugh Jackman goes as the host, and most importantly to see Heath receive his award.

It would not surprise me in the least if Matilda is with his family to receive the award. Knowing the dignity of the family, if she is there, it will be done without any exploitation and  in a very tasteful way.

Offline optom3

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 07:21:51 pm »
I have in typical Fiona fashion, gone against all my ethics and cannot bring myself to miss the Osacrs, so I will be there, glued to the screen. So much for ethics,fortitude and the serious travesty that became the BBM Oscar year and my resolve never to watch and give credence to them again.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 07:54:30 pm »
Does anyone want to have an "Oscar chat"? during the Oscars?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 08:23:17 pm »
Does anyone know if it'll be streaming live on the Internet somewhere??

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 08:42:23 pm »
Lynne's dumb ideas...

Hmmm, the first one doesn't work, and the 2nd one makes you download some software that I really don't want to.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:59:03 pm by Lynne »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2009, 08:52:55 pm »

I just posted this in Anne, Anne, Anne... but I thought I'd bring this over here too... I just watched Barbara Walters' interview with Anne during Barbara's pre-Oscars special, and Anne briefly talks about Heath and Brokeback.  It's very brief.  But, worth checking out.

Maybe YouTubes will become available.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2009, 08:54:35 pm »
Ok, I put tin foil on my rabbit ears.  I'm watching...

::)

They better mention Brokeback when it comes to Heath!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 08:57:43 pm »
I think the first one won't work until 8  ???

Didn't try the second one yet.

I'm getting errors on some of them, I think, because I'm using my blackberry as a modem..no cable, so slower speed...

One of those sites when I googled 'oscars live streaming' put my anti-virus software in hyperalert mode, so I don't recommend it.  I'm going to delete that post.  I'll watch highlights on youtube tomorrow.

Sorry, Friends..hope I didn't cause anyone any unnecessary grief.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2009, 09:22:26 pm »
I can''t remember the verbatim, I'll see if I can find it.  I wonder if any of the Heath-quoters here can remember.  It was about the negative aspects of it.

I don't have exact words, but I think it was because of all the publicity it would have brought.  Can't help but wonder if he would have felt the same about the Joker.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2009, 11:18:12 pm »
Well, it's nice that Heath won and that his family was there to accept.  It seemed like Kevin Klein really wanted to mention BBM, but he said something like "Heath's many other roles...".    They also panned to Anne Hathaway in the audience during Heath's family's acceptance, which was quite poignant, it looked like she was crying.

I was thinking tonight that, if Jake had won best supporting actor for BBM, he could have been the one to present the Oscar to Heath tonight.  :'(

I was hoping his category would come up first, like sometimes happens with best supporting actor... instead this year it was the best supporting actress.  So, tonight I've spent a long time flipping back and forth between the Oscars and bull riding. 

I don't know how I feel about this.  At the moment I feel kind of numb, but of course, I'm glad he won.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2009, 11:36:42 pm »
Well, it's nice that Heath won and that his family was there to accept.  It seemed like Kevin Klein really wanted to mention BBM, but he said something like "Heath's many other roles...".    They also panned to Anne Hathaway in the audience during Heath's family's acceptance, which was quite poignant, it looked like she was crying.

I was thinking tonight that, if Jake had won best supporting actor for BBM, he could have been the won to present the Oscar to Heath tonight.  :'(

I was hoping his category would come up first, like sometimes happens with best supporting actor... instead this year it was the best supporting actress.  So, tonight I've spent a long time flipping back and forth between the Oscars and bull riding. 

I don't know how I feel about this.  At the moment I feel kind of numb, but of course, I'm glad he won.

I used the word 'depleted.'

I think for me it's something like this: Of course I'm glad he won.  Of course I wanted him to win.  Of course he deserved to win.  But it doesn't make me miss him any less.  It doesn't bring him back.  It doesn't make up for the Brokeback Mountain diss.  And one statue, no matter how special, doesn't sum up how special he was.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:54 pm »

I think for me it's something like this: Of course I'm glad he won.  Of course I wanted him to win.  Of course he deserved to win.  But it doesn't make me miss him any less.  It doesn't bring him back.  It doesn't make up for the Brokeback Mountain diss.  And one statue, no matter how special, doesn't sum up how special he was.

Yes, I completely agree with everything you said here.

I think Heath's portrayal of the Joker was brilliant, and I genuinely liked TDK (I've seen it 3 times and bought the DVD),  but it makes me sad that in the eyes of the general public/ the annals of Oscar history, etc. he'll be remembered maybe more strongly for the Joker than for Ennis.  And, I think it goes without saying that Ennis was his true masterpiece.

This Oscar was truly deserved by Heath... but at the same time, it feels like the Oscars were presenting this as a "legacy" award, which is just so tremendously tragic.

It makes me happy that Anne was there for some strange reason... that feels important to me (along with his family too of course).

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 01:29:40 am »
I wasn't going to watch the Oscars. Only the Red Carpet. My willpower isn't much to write home about, however....  ::)

I must say, though, that I am very happy that I caved. To me it was like watching Oscar turn itself inside-out compared to 2006.

Heath won - IMO that was the Academy 's way of apologizing for their screw-ups in 2006 and their honouring of Heath's full body of work as much as anything. Too little, too late, but better than nothing. (I didn't for a minute buy all the teary eyes though. These folks are actors - and I'm a sceptic. Probably Anne Hathaway's emotions were real, but the rest?  :-\ )

And then -unlike 2006 -  they actually show a gay kiss in one of the movie montages.

And they give the Best Actor Oscar to Sean Penn for acting a gay man who, unlike Ennis, was as out as could be. And Sean Penn, bless his heart, goes up there and really lambasts the Prop 8 supporters and their ilk protesting outside (And the same kind of protesters were around in 2006, but noone critizised them from the stage back then!).

So in a way, I do feel that the Oscars this year did quite a bit to make amends for their 2006 fiasco... intentionally or unintentionally, who knows? It happened anyhow. Brokeback certainly paved the way for these various little steps forward this year. And I'm glad I watched it.

Also, it was a pretty good show, I thought.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 01:37:12 am »
I loved Sean Penn's speech.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 02:00:49 am »
Was it de Niro who asked, "How did Sean get away with playing straight men all those years?" A great compliment, and I couldn't help but think what if we could fast-backward to 2006 and it would be Heath sitting there laughing at de Niro's joke.   :'( :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2009, 03:57:03 am »
The Academy Awards:  best supporting actor segment

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffhu6BvdbQw[/youtube]
Time:  8:20

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 04:33:07 am »
I admire Kevin Klein quite a bit, so I'm very glad he was the one who spoke about Heath.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2009, 11:33:31 am »
I liked most of the actor pairings in those five-presenter segments. It looked like they tried to factor gravitas into it, so that each presenter was in some subtle way a bit more "veteran" than the nominee. For example, having Sophia Loren -- older, legendary, Hollywood institution -- introduce Meryl Streep seemed more appropriate than having it done by, say, Marion Cotillard (much as I like her). Having Kevin Klein introduce Heath was better than having, say, Adrien Brody do it. The one exception I noticed was Nicole Kidman/Angelina Jolie, whom I see as sort of gravitas equivalents.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 12:18:07 pm »
I liked most of the actor pairings in those five-presenter segments. It looked like they tried to factor gravitas into it, so that each presenter was in some subtle way a bit more "veteran" than the nominee. For example, having Sophia Loren -- older, legendary, Hollywood institution -- introduce Meryl Streep seemed more appropriate than having it done by, say, Marion Cotillard (much as I like her). Having Kevin Klein introduce Heath was better than having, say, Adrien Brody do it. The one exception I noticed was Nicole Kidman/Angelina Jolie, whom I see as sort of gravitas equivalents.

I didn't see all the different categories with actor pairings... but I did see the best actress group (for Anne) and the best supporting actor group for Heath, of course.  And, I completely agree with you analysis K.  I thought exactly the same thing about the gravitas and senority issues.  And, the equivalency thing between Kidman and Jolie even crossed my mind too.  I think they did a good job.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »
I thought the supporting actor and actress presentations were interesting, with one presenting actor giving a sincere-sounding speech to a each nominee.  The only thing I disliked about it is that there were no clips of the supporting actors' work.

Speaking of clips, I really liked how the did the writing clips with superimposed script snippets.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 12:58:49 pm »
. . . Oscar turned itself inside-out compared to 2006.

And then -unlike 2006 -  they actually show a gay kiss in one of the movie montages.

And they give the Best Actor Oscar to Sean Penn for acting a gay man who, unlike Ennis, was as out as could be. And Sean Penn, bless his heart, goes up there and really lambasts the Prop 8 supporters and their ilk protesting outside (And the same kind of protesters were around in 2006, but noone critizised them from the stage back then!).

So in a way, I do feel that the Oscars this year did quite a bit to make amends for their 2006 fiasco... intentionally or unintentionally, who knows? It happened anyhow. Brokeback certainly paved the way for these various little steps forward this year. And I'm glad I watched it.

I totally agree, Mikaela.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 01:51:56 pm »

I loved what Mickey Rourke said to Barbara Walters when she asked him what it would mean to him if he won.  He said "Of course, it would mean a great deal.  But then again, I look at it this way:  You can't eat it, you can't fuck it, and it won't get you into Heaven."

Gotta love him.  On a side note, I hope he's doing OK with the fact that he didn't win last night.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 03:30:32 pm »
I loved what Mickey Rourke said to Barbara Walters when she asked him what it would mean to him if he won.  He said "Of course, it would mean a great deal.  But then again, I look at it this way:  You can't eat it, you can't fuck it, and it won't get you into Heaven."

Gotta love him.  On a side note, I hope he's doing OK with the fact that he didn't win last night.

That Barbara Walters interview was good, and Mickey Rourke was the liveliest thing at that ceremony. He just about out Robert Downey Jr.s Robert Down Jr. I hope this is the start of a comeback for him, a la Travolta's in Pulp Fiction (which Travolta, BTW, now seems to be endangering a second time around).

And while we're on the subject, I would also like to have seen Marissa Tomei win. Though I didn't see Penelope Cruz's movie.

Other observations:

Does Jack Nicholson usually go every year? That grinning, shades-clad face seems like such an institution there, though it's possible that like most people he skips the years when he's not nominated or presenting. Otherwise, I'm wondering if his conspicuous absence last night might have anything to do with Heath's prize ...?

The speeches given by the groups of five actors and actresses sounded so sincere, and each slightly different, as if they had actually written them themselves -- highly unlikely -- but maybe at least were written by different writers.

Why does everyone in Heath's family sound more "Australian" than Heath did? I know this is partly my ignorance of Australian accents, but to me Heath didn't speak with the accent I think of as typically Australian. Yet his family members do, including his sister.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 03:44:26 pm »
A little Oscars post-mortem.  Warning!  Bitchy comments ahead.

Hugh:  Nice job overall.  However, when Baba Wawa asked you to choose from a list of three occupations, you chose "actor" over "singer" and "dancer".  Nuff said.  
I can really do without the musical numbers.  While having Anne H. joing him as Nixon was cute, the best picture medley was pretty corny IMO.  
And the other splashy number where they sang half a bar from every film song ever made was pointless.  
(Note to Hugh:  the lap dance was sexy, but very embarrassing.  :-X)

Music:  I can understand why Peter Gabriel refused to participate:  the best song nominees were strung together in a 60-second-per-song medley which made no sense.  If there were no splashy silly numbers, then there'd be time to hear the whole songs, plus some decent excerpts from the nominated scores.  

Format:  While I understand the desire to mix it up, the 5-on-5 actor presentations seemed too "group-therapy-ish"; even a little condescending.  As Laura mentioned, where were the actuall clips of the actual performances that were nominated?  Isn't part of the evening designed to get you to go see some of these films?
(Side note:  Sophia Loren looks fabulous.)

Winners:  Of course, Heath's family were very dignified.  Major congrats to Sean Penn and his speech!  Was this the only surprise of the evening?  (Sorry Barb, can't stand Mickey Rourke.)
Kate Winslet just has to gush, doesn't she!  Penelope Cruz made me want to go see VCB now.

Losers:  Brad and Angelina looked very regal and were good losers.  Philip Seymour Hoffman (Alan Arkin actually called him "Seymour Philip") looked bizarre in that skullcap.  Anne was radiant.  

Random thoughts:  The "In Memoriam" sequence was very hard to follow, but I loved Queen Latifa's rendering of "I'll Be Seeing You".  
Loved the crystal curtain, but hated the "giraffe" motif on everything else.  
Too many GD commercials!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 04:16:40 pm »
That Barbara Walters interview was good, and Mickey Rourke was the liveliest thing at that ceremony. He just about out Robert Downey Jr.s Robert Down Jr. I hope this is the start of a comeback for him, a la Travolta's in Pulp Fiction (which Travolta, BTW, now seems to be endangering a second time around).

And while we're on the subject, I would also like to have seen Marissa Tomei win. Though I didn't see Penelope Cruz's movie.

Other observations:

Does Jack Nicholson usually go every year? That grinning, shades-clad face seems like such an institution there, though it's possible that like most people he skips the years when he's not nominated or presenting. Otherwise, I'm wondering if his conspicuous absence last night might have anything to do with Heath's prize ...?

Hunh.  I hadn't thought about the Jack absence until you brought it up here.  Now that you mention it, it does seem odd to see an Oscars without Jack.  I thought Jack and Heath were fond of one another?  Why do you think he would have skipped due to Heath's nomination?  It would have been kind of poignant to see the senior-Joker there actually.  And of course, I'll always associated Jack with the BBM debacle... I'll always love Jack for the way he said "Crash" when announcing best picture.  He sounded as flabbergasted as most of us.

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2009, 04:22:24 pm »

Too many GD commercials!

without them, there'd be no show...unless the AA plans on getting part of the federal giveaway package.  ;)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2009, 04:26:15 pm »
they paid for it.  ;)

My "muting" thumb paid for it! :)

I'd be happy to have less expensive razzle-dazzle and fewer commercials.

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2009, 04:29:00 pm »
...a lot less razzle dazzle. Like not even being broadcast in prime time.

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2009, 04:30:44 pm »
I did not watch the show, but was very pleased to discover that Heath's family accepted his award, rather than michelle Williams.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2009, 04:44:56 pm »
I did not watch the show, but was very pleased to discover that Heath's family accepted his award, rather than michelle Williams.
did you think she would? She hasn´t accepted any awards on his behalf

Offline Katie77

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2009, 04:57:33 pm »
Well, what a difference three years makes, especially to the Oscars.

In my opinion Sean Penn winning the best actor award for Milk was also  a tribute to actors like Heath and Jake and moviies like Brokeback Mountain, and an open stand up for the gay community. The introduction by Robert de Niro was fantastic. Not only the part about how did Penn act in so many straight rolls over the years, but about him and other actors who are brave enough to take the risk to take a part off the mainstream.....who would not have thought of Heath too, at that moment and his decision to play Ennis Del Mar.

Sean Penn's speech, I thought was typical of a man who is not afraid to stand up and speak how he feels, and seemed to be off the cuff, and not rehearsed, and it was clear by the applause that he had plenty of suport from the audience.

And of course, the man kiss in the montage of movie clips. Not a fleeting "miss it if you blink" clip, but a full, clear clip. No ooohs and ahhhs and coughs, No moving embarrassingly in the seats, in fact it has hardly got a mention. Finally, finally a "man kiss" is NO BIG DEAL.

On the rest of the show, I thought it was one of the best I have watched. I might be bias but I thought Hugh Jackman did a fantastic performance. The laid back humourous chatter, is just how Hugh seems to be in a lot of his interviews, it did not seem artificial nor too scripted. His singing and dancing were delicious and the back up performers were equally entertaining.

Anne Hathaway was beautiful. She seemed to hang on every word in every speech, like a little girl at her first party. To get up on stage like she did with Hugh was a sign of her sense of good fun and her ability to enjoy all of these special moments.

Of course the presentation of Heath's award was emotional. Once again, the Ledger family showed the dignity that they have become known for. The emotions on the faces in the audience, I felt were genuine. Some may have been thinking of the loss of a great actor, too soon, but I think a lot would have looked at those three people standing up there on the stage as the mother, father and sister who have lost their son and brother, whose grief must be still unbearable, who have been thrust into the limelight of a world that they had never intended to be in. They speak  of how proud they are of Heath, I think that Heath would be more so of his family in the way they have handled all of this.

All in all, I thought the show was entertaining and held the attention of the audience both in the theatre and on TV.  

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2009, 04:58:46 pm »
yes, I did think it possible; there are few boundaries that hollywood celebs or hopeful celebs will not cross for camera time.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2009, 05:08:14 pm »
yes, I did think it possible; there are few boundaries that hollywood celebs or hopeful celebs will not cross for camera time.
I doubt it. They weren´t a couple anymore.
Only if Heath´s family had asked her, and then of course it would have been their call.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2009, 05:08:54 pm »

Michelle has shown the same dignity that the rest of the Ledger family have shown throughout all these award ceremonies.

And because of that respect that Heath's family have endowed on everyone in the business, the business has reciprocated with their own respect.

karen1129

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 05:09:29 pm »
Well, so far, Michelle hasn't exhibited that kind of behavior.

She has never spoken publicly about Heath.

I don't think she gives a fig about camera time.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 05:18:31 pm »
Well, so far, Michelle hasn't exhibited that kind of behavior.

She has never spoken publicly about Heath.

I thought that Michelle has made a statement or two about the loss of Heath.  Am I misremembering that?

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009, 05:38:51 pm »

In my opinion Sean Penn winning the best actor award for Milk was also  a tribute to actors like Heath and Jake and moviies like Brokeback Mountain, and an open stand up for the gay community.

Hmmmm. Penn, especially at his career level, risked nothing to play the Milk character. What are you saying?

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2009, 05:42:44 pm »

She gives a lot more than a fig about camera time, guaranteed. I hope she has been and remains non-commercial about Heath and if so, I will be pleased.

karen1129

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2009, 05:46:08 pm »
I thought that Michelle has made a statement or two about the loss of Heath.  Am I misremembering that?

She did talk about his death in a couple of magazine articles, but she hasn't gone on camera to milk it.

karen1129

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2009, 05:47:40 pm »

She gives a lot more than a fig about camera time, guaranteed. I hope she has been and remains non-commercial about Heath and if so, I will be pleased.

Guaranteed?

Offline Katie77

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2009, 05:50:59 pm »
Hmmmm. Penn, especially at his career level, risked nothing to play the Milk character. What are you saying?

I'm not quite sure what you are saying......in your opinion, is his career level at a low or a high??

I think he is a terrific actor, and have enjoyed watching him in all the films he has been in. I think he is a lot like Heath...not necesarily a movie star, or celebrity, but a fine true actor, who seems to take every part he has and owns it, and gives it 110%.

Just because he is not making two or three movies a year, does not mean his career is on the decline.Its not the quantity that counts its the quality.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2009, 05:52:07 pm »

I seem to remember Jack being very upset at not being asked to reprise his role, as the Joker.  And was rather petty
and snarky about it.  He probably didn't want to see Heath win the Oscar for the role after his less than gracious attitude
on the whole affair.  I am pretty tired of him anyhow.  He is to the point in his career, where he does nothing new.  He
makes me think of Jack and his comment about his and Lureens marriage.  He could just as well phone it in.  I say good
riddance for his lack of an appearance.

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2009, 05:59:22 pm »
Yeah, I recall Jack saying something snarky about reviving the Joker character. He may have been particularly sensitive about it, and although it was my understanding he was otherwise on friendly terms with Heath, this may have been enough of a sore point that he wanted to avoid the award-granting.

Just wild speculation on my part, of course.

retropian

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2009, 07:03:07 pm »
Well Karma is a B*tch. I did watch the Oscars last night at a friends house. So I broke by vow to boycott them and I paid for it. We both enjoyed the show. I liked how they had previous winners in a category come out and sing the praises for the current nominees. I also liked how they let the winners make their speeches and let them have their moment. I've always abominated how, because of time constraints, the music would start up to interrupt a winner and force them to shorten their acceptance speech. Let them enjoy it a bit, how many people get to be up there and how often does it happen for them? Once in a lifetime for most. I thought Hugh was very fine as the host. After all he's hosted the Tony's several times, so he knew what he was doing. So, after they were over I got sick, really sick, leading to dry heaves all night sick. I feel better now, but weak. We both ate the same food (pizza) and I had 4 beers, which over the course of the evening is not a huge amount. So it must have been Karmic retribution acting rather quickly rather than waiting to punish me in the next life. ::)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2009, 07:28:42 pm »
Every now and then, I come upon something and think, "I'd love to have that job."  What fun it would have been to brainstorm who to ask to introduce each of the nominees this year.  We'd all have a good time with that one, I think.  Let's try to remember to do it ahead of time next year.

And gravitas, that's the exact word I thought of too, but I had a specific memory jog - I often think of that word when I see the more mature Kevin Kline, because his character (modelled very much on himself) in The Anniversary Party used it to whine about how actors getting parts that he wanted had no gravitas, unlike he himself.  I always loved how Kevin Kline mocked himself and the industry with that statement.

My biggest gripe - how during the In Memoriam portion I couldn't even read some of the names because of the weird camera choices.

I'm confused - you guys thought it was good when Robert De Niro made the remark about Sean Penn being able to pull off playing straight guys all these years?  I thought it sounded like an insult to gay people.  On the other hand, I loved when Sean Penn called the academy "commie, homo-loving sons of guns."  I loved that homo-loving was embraced so positively.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2009, 07:40:50 pm »
I liked the way that 5 people came out and individually talked about the nominees in some categories.

Hugh Jackman was very good and very handsome.

I'm so happy and not surprised that Heath won. He was brilliant in "The Dark Knight".

I wish Mickey Rourke had won best actor instead of Sean Penn.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Katie77

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2009, 07:55:08 pm »

Why does everyone in Heath's family sound more "Australian" than Heath did? I know this is partly my ignorance of Australian accents, but to me Heath didn't speak with the accent I think of as typically Australian. Yet his family members do, including his sister.

I have often mentioned Heath's accent here.

To tell you the truth, in interviews I saw him in, I did not think that he sounded like an Aussie at all.  I used to put it down to the fact that he went to a private school, and also that he probably has had voice training in his acting classes. His accent seemed more of an "international" accent rather than an Aussie accent, and maybe it was the accent he chose to use in interviews. To tell you the truth, when I think about him knocking around with his Aussie mates, I think the REAL Aussie accent probably came out.

As you say, his parents and sister have a very different accent than he did, which makes me feel more that Heath's was manufactured or learnt.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2009, 08:07:18 pm »
I'm confused - you guys thought it was good when Robert De Niro made the remark about Sean Penn being able to pull off playing straight guys all these years?  I thought it sounded like an insult to gay people.

Well, it made me pause a bit. But ultimately I took it as a) a compliment to Penn's acting and b) a mocking allusion to the supposed difficulty, according to conventional foolishness, of straight actors playing gay characters and vise versa. As such, not offensive, IMO.

Know who else's acceptance speech I loved? Milk screenwriter Dustin Lance Black's.

I have often mentioned Heath's accent here.

To tell you the truth, in interviews I saw him in, I did not think that he sounded like an Aussie at all.  I used to put it down to the fact that he went to a private school, and also that he probably has had voice training in his acting classes. His accent seemed more of an "international" accent rather than an Aussie accent, and maybe it was the accent he chose to use in interviews. To tell you the truth, when I think about him knocking around with his Aussie mates, I think the REAL Aussie accent probably came out.

As you say, his parents and sister have a very different accent than he did, which makes me feel more that Heath's was manufactured or learnt.

Thanks, Sue. I do recall Aussie Brokies having addressed this topic before. I was surprised, though, when I heard his family's accents, particularly his sister's. Children often have markedly different accents from their parents, but rarely from their siblings.

To my ears, Heath sounded sort of British. It's interesting what accents people strive for when they attempt to remove their native dialect. In the US, they strive to sound sort of Midwestern.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2009, 08:14:09 pm »
I have been boycotting the Oscars since the BBM debacle, but it was a friend's birthday and she wanted to watch it, so we watched it.  Hugh did a good job, especially liked his musical admission that he hadn't seen "The Reader"  :laugh: though my friend thought it was funny that Will Smith had more time on stage than Hugh.

1) The women looked like they all went to the same cream-colored/metallic dress sale.  Only Natalie Portman stood out spectacularly.  I saw her and completely ignored Ben Stiller, wishing I could come back as her in my next life.  :-*

2) Was it really necessary to have Jennifer Aniston present their awards from the same side of the stage in front of where Brad and Angelina were sitting?   Then the camera shot to them every so often, hoping - for what? - it was like the Academy was trying to drum up some drama.  Jennifer had her chance to knock everyone out of the back of the auditorium that night, but instead she looked liked she just came from the beach and hadn't combed her hair.  Brad and Angie took it well.

3)  Beyonce - I love you for making women of all sizes sexy - but there are some outfits that shouldn't be worn by women with serious junk in the trunk because they're just not flattering.  High-cut spangled red sequined leotards are one of them.

4) Cuba Gooding, Jr.  You, da man!!  Why don't they have him host the Oscars?

5)  I like how everyone got to say their thing.  Maybe two people - at most - got cut off.

6)  My girl Kate Winslet the winner seemed the most sincere (and she looked wonderful to boot).

7)  Eddie Murphy and the legend Jerry Lewis?  Strange comedian out of all of them to give him the award.

8 )  Will they stop moving the goddamned camera during the memorials?!?!?   >:( >:( >:(  There was no need to pan out and show Queen Latifah singing, I know it's her singing, I want to see the pics of the people who have passed on!!!  Ending on Paul Newman was nice.

9)  I was glad Heath's family showed up and kept their composure, his sister looked wonderful.

10)  Boring "Slumdog Millionaire" sweep.  They could have just called in the rest of the awards.   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:23:15 am by delalluvia »

Offline Katie77

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2009, 10:16:26 pm »

2) Was it really necessary to have Jennifer Aniston present their awards from the same side of the stage in front of where Brad and Angelina were sitting?   Then the camera shot to them every so often, hoping -for what? - it was like the Academy was trying to drum up some drama.  Jennifer had her chance to knock everyone out of the back of the auditorium that night, but instead she looked liked she just came from the beach and hadn't combed her hair.  Brad and Angie took it well.

I think Jen, Brad and Angie used the Awards ceremony to finally end all the negative stuff thats been written about them concerning the marriage break up. Finally they have come face to face in public, and their were no cat fights or sneers from one to the other. Nothing at these awards ceremonies are done without a reason, a lot of thought and planning goes into them. Jen and Brad and Angie would have been aware of where she would stand and where they would be sitting, Angie probably even knew that the camera was going to pan to her. It was a very public way of saying to everyone, "we have moved on, now everyone else move on too"

4) Cuba Gooding, Jr.  You, da man!!  Why don't they have him host the Oscars?

Oh yeah, he is so cool and very very funny.

10)  Boring "Slumdog Millionaire" sweep.  They could have just called in the rest of the awards. 

Yeah, I cant put my finger on it, but it seemed to be an anti-climax to the whole show, when everyone from from Slumdog Millionaire came up on the stage.  I have not seen the movie, but by all accounts it must be very good to have won so many awards,  and no doubt to the cast and people involved the occassion was memorable and exciting, but it seemed that THEY were far more excited about it than anyone else in the audience and possibly most of the viewers.  Maybe it was because they were all virtual unknowns, maybe it was the thought that they may only be "one hit wonders". I dont mean to sound cruel, but there is a chance that that might be the case, and why maybe we couldn't really care less everytime they won something.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2009, 10:30:27 pm »
Yeah, I cant put my finger on it, but it seemed to be an anti-climax to the whole show, when everyone from from Slumdog Millionaire came up on the stage.  I have not seen the movie, but by all accounts it must be very good to have won so many awards,  and no doubt to the cast and people involved the occassion was memorable and exciting, but it seemed that THEY were far more excited about it than anyone else in the audience and possibly most of the viewers.  Maybe it was because they were all virtual unknowns, maybe it was the thought that they may only be "one hit wonders". I dont mean to sound cruel, but there is a chance that that might be the case, and why maybe we couldn't really care less everytime they won something.

Hmm, some people might have felt the same about Brokeback.    It had frontrunner status and was "other". 

I've seen the film, and it is great story-telling.  And I was excited for them at every turn.  And I cared a lot.  Especially knowing the odds they were up against.  Those little kid actors who really are from the slums of Mumbai. 

Sue, you really should try to see it--it's beautiful.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2009, 10:47:50 pm »
Danny Boyle did "Slumdog Millionaire" and he is no one hit wonder to be sure having directed/produced movies/shows like

2. (8.10) - Trainspotting (1996)
   3. (7.52) - "Inspector Morse: Masonic Mysteries (#4.4)" (1990)
   4. (7.50) - 28 Days Later... (2002)
   5. (7.44) - "Inspector Morse: Cherubim & Seraphim (#6.5)" (1992)
   6. (7.40) - Shallow Grave (1995)
   7. (7.30) - Sunshine (2007)
   8. (7.20) - Millions (2004)
   9. (6.46) - Strumpet (2001) (TV)
  10. (6.42) - Alien Love Triangle (2002)
  11. (6.37) - Vacuuming Completely Nude in Paradise (2001) (TV)
  12. (6.30) - A Life Less Ordinary (1997)
  13. (6.20) - The Beach (2000/I)

As for the cast...who knows?  They might make it big in India.

BBM wasn't a one hit wonder either.  All the actors had careers before and have (had in the case of Heath  :() them after and the director was also quite famous before as well as since.

I was happy for them, but the plot as told to me by friends who have seen it and loved it sounds pretty run of the mill and cliche.  One of my friends finally realized after describing it to me that the reason she hated "Wall-E" was the same reason she liked "Slumdog Millionaire".

The underdog geeky guy got the devastatingly gorgeous girl. [shrug]

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2009, 10:55:47 pm »
I think Jen, Brad and Angie used the Awards ceremony to finally end all the negative stuff thats been written about them concerning the marriage break up. Finally they have come face to face in public, and their were no cat fights or sneers from one to the other. Nothing at these awards ceremonies are done without a reason, a lot of thought and planning goes into them. Jen and Brad and Angie would have been aware of where she would stand and where they would be sitting, Angie probably even knew that the camera was going to pan to her. It was a very public way of saying to everyone, "we have moved on, now everyone else move on too"

I'd like to think so, for Jennifer's sake, but in reality I can't help but think she's still grinding her teeth.  After all, the best revenge is living well.  But Jennifer is still a B-list-er at best, still not having broken out of her TV-to-movies romantic comedy sweetheart roles which are rapidly running out as she ages, she's not settled down with a long-time love or family or children, just a boy-toy who slammed her in the tabloids.  Jenn wanted a great movie career, note where Brad and Angie were sitting versus where Jen and John Mayer were sitting.

Brad and Angie are swinging the world on a string - they're beyond famous, rapidly becoming more famous for their philanthropy than for their movie roles - i.e. something that's truly meaningful and important in this world.  Jen was in "Marley" and Me and had a Cancun vacation with John Mayer.

[shrug]

We can only hope she's found some sort of peace.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2009, 11:18:57 pm »
Hmm, some people might have felt the same about Brokeback.    It had frontrunner status and was "other". 

I've seen the film, and it is great story-telling.  And I was excited for them at every turn.  And I cared a lot.  Especially knowing the odds they were up against.  Those little kid actors who really are from the slums of Mumbai. 

Sue, you really should try to see it--it's beautiful.

Oh I plan to Paul and I am sure I will love it....I'm a sucker for a feel good story when the underdog comes out on top.

And I did not mean to be cruel with my comments, maybe it was because I had NOT seen it, that it did not mean anything to me. I have seen Benjamin Button which I thought was great.

Do you think people thought that way about Brokeback? I was so far into my obsession with it, and talking about it all the time here, that I never ever thought what people on the "outside" might be thinking.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2009, 11:34:47 pm »
Oh I plan to Paul and I am sure I will love it....I'm a sucker for a feel good story when the underdog comes out on top.

And I did not mean to be cruel with my comments, maybe it was because I had NOT seen it, that it did not mean anything to me. I have seen Benjamin Button which I thought was great.

Do you think people thought that way about Brokeback? I was so far into my obsession with it, and talking about it all the time here, that I never ever thought what people on the "outside" might be thinking.

I know, Sue, I know you didn't mean to be cruel, plus, I loved Benjamin Button, also.

Sure enough, some people thought that way, especially those who hadn't seen Brokeback, and had made up their minds that it was "wrong". 

Just like Brokeback, once you've seen it, the "outside" thinking just melts away. 

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2009, 01:11:44 am »
I know Joaquin Phoenix can probably take care of himself, but I think it's in questionable taste to lampoon someone who's obviously in some kind of emotional distress. 

Some of Phoenix's behavior isn't much more far-out than some of Heath's: unkempt, unselfconscious, etc. (the Letterman thing reminded me of when Heath was said to have spent most of a talk show appearance peeling an orange.)

In fact, I wonder if Phoenix, already stressed by fame + career, was pushed to the edge by (among other things) Heath's death. Joaquin and Heath were friends. I read that Gemma Ward took a hiatus from modeling, and her sister quit it altogether, because his death shook them enough to explore deeper things. It's not inconceivable that Joaquin would be pretty shaken up by the sudden and untimely death of a close peer.

(This is all conjecture, I know...)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:42:54 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2009, 07:37:34 am »
I know Joaquin Phoenix can probably take care of himself, but I think it's in questionable taste to lampoon someone who's obviously in some kind of emotional distress. 

Some of Phoenix's behavior isn't much more far-out than some of Heath's: unkempt, unselfconscious, etc. (the Letterman thing reminded me of when Heath was said to have spent most of a talk show appearance peeling an orange.)

In fact, I wonder if Phoenix, already stressed by fame + career, was pushed to the edge by (among other things) Heath's death. River and Heath were friends. I read that Gemma Ward took a hiatus from modeling, and her sister quit it altogether, because his death shook them enough to explore deeper things. It's not inconceivable that Joaquin would be pretty damn shaken up by the sudden and untimely death of a close peer.

But it makes a lot of sense. I hope someone intervenes for him to at least check out that possibility, Laura.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2009, 08:10:55 am »

In fact, I wonder if Phoenix, already stressed by fame + career, was pushed to the edge by (among other things) Heath's death. River and Heath were friends. I read that Gemma Ward took a hiatus from modeling, and her sister quit it altogether, because his death shook them enough to explore deeper things. It's not inconceivable that Joaquin would be pretty damn shaken up by the sudden and untimely death of a close peer.

Just for the records: I'm sure you meant Joaquin and Heath. River died in 1993; Heath was only 14 at that point.
I don't know how close Heath and Joaquin were, but I think you may be quite right.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2009, 09:13:46 am »
I don't have much sympathy actually.  Joaquin is fairly well known as a drug-user.  Any ridicule you heap on their heads may wake them up to the fact that they're not really fooling anyone and not everyone is going to continue to cover for them.  Whatever trauma he experienced because of his brother's death - what a terrible scene that must have been for him - did not detract him from taking drugs, sadly.  He was taking drugs that night, too.  However, he seems to be moving in the right direction.  If movie-making is too stressful for him, as it seems to be, having to make the rounds of talk-shows and magazine interviews, then his public announcement that he's quitting acting to become a musician can only help him.  He's doing pretty much what I always think movie stars who have these kind of problems should do:

Being famous stresses you out?  Quit.  Go sell shoes.  Become anonymous again.  Few stars' egos can tolerate this though.  But Joaquin seems to be doing it. 

It's a sad loss for Hollywood, but if the decision keeps Joaquin's head together, then we can only wish him the best.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2009, 09:37:48 am »
I don´t understand the point of making fun of someone who seems to have a drug problem. I wouldn´t have liked if they did it too Heath, and I dont like it when they do it to anyone else either.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:34 am »

that thought has occured to me as well. You might be right.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2009, 09:53:38 am »
I'm of the opinion that Joaquin's recent behavior is a put on. Reasons:

1) Casey Affleck is reportedly making a documentary of Joaquin's switch from acting to hip hop. If you've seen Sarah Silverman, Matt Damon, Jimmy Kimmel and Ben Affleck in the "I'm F'ing Matt Damon" and "I'm F'ing Ben Affleck" videos, you'll know that at least the other Affleck is pretty good at put ons.

2) Letterman and his staff would have noticed Joaquin's strange manner long before he went onstage.

3) As Dana Stevens observed in Slate yesterday, no way would Joaquin's lawyers give clearance for Ben Stiller's parody if Joaquin had some serious problem.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2009, 03:34:27 pm »
I'm of the opinion that Joaquin's recent behavior is a put on.

Could be.  I was just being cautious on the side that it isn't...

2) Letterman and his staff would have noticed Joaquin's strange manner long before he went onstage.

And done what?  They LOVE that kind of shit. The show has gotten huge mileage from that episode, Farrah Fawcett, etc.

3) As Dana Stevens observed in Slate yesterday, no way would Joaquin's lawyers give clearance for Ben Stiller's parody if Joaquin had some serious problem.

Can you link it?  I'm sure it's there, but I looked in the Slate Oscar coverage and can't find it to save my life.  (I don't mean that argumentatively; I literally just can't find it.) 
:P
And you're right Chrissi; I meant Joaquin, not River!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2009, 04:01:09 pm »
And done what?  They LOVE that kind of shit. The show has gotten huge mileage from that episode, Farrah Fawcett, etc.

I'm not sure what they would have done. Joaquin's behavior was even weirder than Farrah's (as Letterman himself acknowledged toward the end, when he said they owe Farrah an apology). But it's true, maybe they would have just let the show go on.

Can you link it?  I'm sure it's there, but I looked in the Slate Oscar coverage and can't find it to save my life.  (I don't mean that argumentatively; I literally just can't find it.) 

Sure. Here's the link, plus the relevant quote:

http://www.slate.com/id/2209520/entry/2211919/

Ben Stiller's Joaquin Phoenix impersonation is proof positive that the Phoenix collapse is a put-on. If he were really slipping into addiction or mental illness, there's no way his lawyers would have granted clearance for that segment.]Ben Stiller's Joaquin Phoenix impersonation is proof positive that the Phoenix collapse is a put-on. If he were really slipping into addiction or mental illness, there's no way his lawyers would have granted clearance for that segment.

Stevens also wrote a separate earlier piece stating her suspicions that it's a prank, mainly based on the fact that Phoenix apparently gives a fabulous performance in his recent movie, so it's hard to believe he could be so far gone now:

http://www.slate.com/id/2211155/

I also just think that the difference between recent Joaquin and regular Joaquin kind of stretches credulity. The first time I went to look up the Letterman clip, I accidentally landed on a three-year-old clip of Joaquin on Letterman. He's articulate, funny, lively, charming, well-groomed ...

So would somebody who has slipped that deeply into apparent mental illness or drug abuse be allowed to continue making high-profile TV appearances? If not by Letterman's producers, then by his own family, friends and agent? Would they all keep silent now, as the world speculates, rather than make a statement that he's checking into rehab or whatever? I know that may not be impossible, but it's odd enough that I lean toward the hoax theory.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:48:46 pm by serious crayons »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2009, 07:40:11 pm »

If you've seen Sarah Silverman, Matt Damon, Jimmy Kimmel and Ben Affleck in the "I'm F'ing Matt Damon" and "I'm F'ing Ben Affleck" videos, you'll know that at least the other Affleck is pretty good at put ons.

I probably watched those 20 times when I first found them.  Oddly compelling.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2009, 07:48:19 pm »
And of course, it all depends if Phoenix actually has a lawyer on retainer.  Some don't.  As I recall, Crispin Glover put on a memorably freaky Letterman show.  No one said squat about his weirdness because the guy was weird.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2009, 07:51:41 pm »
And of course, it all depends if Phoenix actually has a lawyer on retainer.  Some don't.  As I recall, Crispin Glover put on a memorably freaky Letterman show.  No one said squat about his weirdness because the guy was weird.

If Phoenix doesn't have a lawyer, that still doesn't invalidate Dana Stevens' reasoning that Stiller wouldn't have risked the libel suit and appearance of gross insensitivity by making fun of his mental illness/addiction/whatever.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2009, 08:09:26 pm »
If Phoenix doesn't have a lawyer, that still doesn't invalidate Dana Stevens' reasoning that Stiller wouldn't have risked the libel suit and appearance of gross insensitivity by making fun of his mental illness/addiction/whatever.

Mental illness, sure.  But being stoned?  Who is responsible for appearing on national television stoned?  I'd say that was Joaquin himself.  At what point do we start holding them responsible for their own actions?  He's not a child and certainly not ignorant.  He knows what he's doing.  So I'd say a libel suit would be a long stretch.