Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3130889 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2000 on: July 21, 2006, 11:00:35 am »
Everyone,

Louise and I have a bit of news...we have been made co-moderators of the FanFiction Forum here at Bettermost. Up until now, that forum has not had any moderator at all and has been sort of languishing. We hope to change that!

We've written a welcome message (it is at the top of the forum) and outlined a few guidelines. Our goal is to attract both authors and readers who like to discuss stories...keep it lively, keep it fun, sort of like what we have going on here.

Although we all love the Laramie Saga, it isn't the only story in the BBM fanfic universe. Please join us over there to discuss stories, and encourage friends, especially those who might not know about Bettermost, to join us!

Leslie
MaineWriter

Congratulations to our beloved authors!

This really is wonderful news. Bettermost will be an even better and safer place for all of us to play, learn, grow and heal. Blessed be!
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2001 on: July 21, 2006, 11:01:56 am »
I can see Beagle because neither of them were really knowing what everything was about, and college is for experimentations.   Only of course Ellery fell hard with his heart, but they never really had any communications, it was all supposed.  It happens.

I look at a Gabe as  a fuck buddy.   Nice enough looking, fills a gap, doesn't make demands on a regular basis.  Have had a couple and they certainly did fill a space, but were never anything that was going to go anywhere, and I don't think Ellery ever considered having it go anywhere, it just was when it was and then it wasn't.

Bill---I think Ellery thought they had more in common, and truth be told---I think ellery actually could tell the needy part of Bill, and it also answered something within Ellery, but what he didn't realize was the basic instability of Bill, and what an advantage taker user he turned into---but by the time Ellery found out how untrustworthy Bill was, it was entirely too late, he had just let them become entwined through business and emotional connections.    Ellery had a real problem of having to admit he made a bad choice.   And that is not easy, it sucks, and sometimes it is easier to just let the connections stay than going through the reality of severing them.
Been there done that---Ellery was knowing he was in a dead end situation with Bill, but until Bill did something illegal against Ellery, El just couldn't go through the scene of trying to be free of him.   Ellery is the law and that brought its own built in set of morals and principles that Ellery would never turn his back on, and those are what gave him the spine to finally get rid of Bill.   Sometimes it takes something just that drastic.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2002 on: July 21, 2006, 11:09:44 am »
I suppose I wasn't really fully aware of how Ellery's messy romantic history gave him believability.  I know I have argued long and hard with critics who have described Ellery as the "perfect man"... which still baffles me, I must say... but it is true that he never really examined just how ineffective his choices in men have been.  Perhaps somewhere deep inside he opened that bar so that some day, his cowboy would walk into it.  In that respect -- his instinct turned out to be right.  His impulse to start the Red Stallion up may have been his acknowledgement that Mr. Right had not yet ridden into town, but one day may do so.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2003 on: July 21, 2006, 12:25:47 pm »
Folks, we are just 4 posts away from the big 2000. Talk it up, willya? Why so quiet this morning?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2004 on: July 21, 2006, 12:32:49 pm »
hey, I'm talking it up!  And I am in chat too, people!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2005 on: July 21, 2006, 12:33:56 pm »
Rereading the first two book, (thank You Leslie) and it is interesting at how far Ennis has come along.  

Ellery's relationships:  Great question, For whatever reason they failed, those relationships have brought the guys together.  That they were so bad only makes Ellery's relationship so much better. Like a nice rain after a dry spell. It does truly seem to me that Ennis and Ellery saved each other!

Offline pastorfred

• spirituality handbook
« Reply #2006 on: July 21, 2006, 12:36:30 pm »
hey, I'm talking it up!  And I am in chat too, people!

It must just be a busy morning for lots of us e&e fans.

We trust that you are typity typie, Louise.  ;)
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline pastorfred

• spirituality handbook
« Reply #2007 on: July 21, 2006, 12:37:45 pm »
Now I'm playing the numbers game -

trying to see if I can get post number 2k!

8)
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2008 on: July 21, 2006, 12:39:20 pm »
Now I'm playing the numbers game -

trying to see if I can get post number 2k!

8)

LOL, you've been playing the numbers game all along, Fred. And look how good that 2000 looks, anyway!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #2009 on: July 21, 2006, 12:41:16 pm »
Leslie when are you posting an update to your latest story?  I love it, really sweet. :) :)
Always and forever. J&E.xx