Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3170103 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2480 on: August 01, 2006, 07:40:39 pm »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/86225.html  "Chapter 42:  Trouble in High Places"

Spoiler:

alright, I'm glad Amos is getting arrested and all, but what the heck is up with Ellery's money???  I love how you throw us little teasers from the past.  Maybe that will a topic for book 5...?  Dangnation.  I have of course have the upmost faith that Ennis will get used to it, just like he's getting used to everything else.  kissing in front of Wes, who would've thunk?

now, really, you've got to tell us Edna and Wes's pet names.  We can just witness some private scene between the two of them... E and E don't have to find out.

Ellery and Wes out on a little mission together - that's fun!
=)
Kelly
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2481 on: August 01, 2006, 07:45:56 pm »
It's been so great reading everyone's moments!  Thanks for sharing you all.  I sorta realized I am a bit of an "image" person.  for whatever reason, passages that describe a scene stick with me a little better than actual dialogue.  (maybe it's easier on my memory.)  one of my more recent favorite moments, sorry i don't have an exact quote but it's the scene where they say what I have in my signature.  ellery is upset about one of the gazillion current problems, they're sitting in bed, and Ennis rests his hands on Ellery's shoulders and says what's below.  I just really like the image of them sitting together in bed like that.

Another favorite image - Ellery walking in the door, back from Austin, in his get up, and Ennis says, "What in the hell are you wearing?"  (or something close to that.)

;D
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2482 on: August 01, 2006, 08:13:31 pm »
nB, the exact quote is "What the fuck are you WEARIN'?"

I laughed out loud when I read that and had to go back a few times to read it again. It was great! You know, when Ellery wore that outfit again to go to the Red Stallion, there was no mention of Ennis' reaction to it, only Lauren's admiration of the blue boots. I was hoping to see another rise out of Ennis.

All these great scenes you guys are bringing up:  I love every one of them. As I read each one I say, "Yeah! That one too!" Saves me from research, although I did reread "Taking Chances" this past weekend. Does anyone have the link to the first chapters of "Looking for Answers" and "A Second Chance?" (I have the others.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:18:43 pm by neatfreak »

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #2483 on: August 01, 2006, 08:28:01 pm »

Our own illustrious author - moderators, Leslie and Louise have created a Laramie Saga thread on the Fan Fiction Forum right here at BetterMost.

I quote from that thread:

The second one is "Looking for Answers" and can be found here:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/27985.html

And the third one (which is in progress) is called "A Second Chance" and can be found here:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/50230.html

Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2484 on: August 01, 2006, 08:45:20 pm »
Thank you, Fred! I don't wander far from this thread on Bettermost; if I did, I'd never get anything done. You're a sweetie for doing it for me! (Is that endearment okay? ;)) Now I've got 'em all bookmarked!

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #2485 on: August 01, 2006, 09:36:57 pm »
Thank you, Fred! I don't wander far from this thread on Bettermost; if I did, I'd never get anything done. You're a sweetie for doing it for me! (Is that endearment okay? ;)) Now I've got 'em all bookmarked!

Aww, Betty, *mild southern boy blush showing on my face* you're more than welcome. And you may call me sweetie any time you want to.
                                                 ;)
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline opinionista

« Reply #2486 on: August 02, 2006, 04:32:50 am »

Spoiler:

alright, I'm glad Amos is getting arrested and all, but what the heck is up with Ellery's money???  I love how you throw us little teasers from the past.  Maybe that will a topic for book 5...?  Dangnation.  I have of course have the upmost faith that Ennis will get used to it, just like he's getting used to everything else.  kissing in front of Wes, who would've thunk?

now, really, you've got to tell us Edna and Wes's pet names.  We can just witness some private scene between the two of them... E and E don't have to find out.

Ellery and Wes out on a little mission together - that's fun!
=)
Kelly

SPOILER

LOL I think Ellery is going to ask Edna what's Wes's pet name. I don't think he'll let this one pass. As for the money, you're right, Ennis has been getting used to everything else, so maybe he doesn't have much problem with Ellery buying a new car or even a new house. However, I don't think he'll let Ellery give Alma jr. money. He's too proud for that.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2487 on: August 02, 2006, 04:52:26 am »
Guys, you just have to be patient.  If I didn't throw up little plot bunnies to foreshadow future events, you wouldn't get any more sequels.  I remember Helen starting in on me about oh, chapter 30 of "Taking Chances" about Ennis bottoming.  And you know how long THAT took!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2488 on: August 02, 2006, 05:51:04 am »
Greetings, everyone...

I am in London, safe and sound, eagerly awaiting the next chapter. Lots of Ellery and Ennis fantasizing helped the hours on the plane pass quickly (since sleep was next to impossible...)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2489 on: August 02, 2006, 06:14:30 am »
Fred has a way of doing that to me too, scudder.

Louise, that first pass in the rose hotel is a classic.

An other great one from Taking Chances, chapter 16:
'Ellery parked across from the bar and turned off the ignition, looking at Ennis carefully, quietly, as if sizing him up. Ennis was still gripping his hat, his silence loud, roaring in his own ears. Finally, as if tearing the words from somewhere deep in his guts he looked up at the man looking at him and said, in a low, tortured voice,

“What da you want from me?” And Ellery put his big, wide hand down over Ennis’s clutching hands, closing it slowly.

“Nothin you don’t want, Ennis. First – to get this shit with this slug Wilson straightened. And if there is anything more, if its friends or a drink in the bar or somethin else that is up to you. I ain’t no teenager, Ennis. I won’t put hands on ya. But you know where I stand, and if its what you want then its fine with me, whatever it is. No need ta be scared I’m gonna do nothin. I got a big mouth and maybe I am just a little to open flirtin an all that with somebody like you, but that’s just how I am with someone I feel good around. And that’s all it’ll be if that is all you want. But you don’t need to tear outta here because yer afraid I’m gonna put hands on ya because I won’t. Fair enough?”

One of my all-time favs too !!

Ellery being so candid, saying exactly what he wants, not playing games, while being extremely respectful of Ennis and his sensitivities...

A combination of forthrightness and respect will get me every single time.

Well, that, and a sexy skinny guy with long black hair… ;D