Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3145228 times)

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4580 on: September 27, 2006, 10:57:41 am »
you want me to give it away, what Ellery was talking about?

And yes, he made a subtle threat to take the car away if she was going to be a manipulative idiot.

Yes, please Louise, its bugging me!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4581 on: September 27, 2006, 10:59:56 am »
you want me to give it away, what Ellery was talking about?

You know I want to know. I brought it up in the first place!

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4582 on: September 27, 2006, 11:01:31 am »
Chapter 74:

Ellery said, "....So a threat from me is always a very serious thing, as Ennis here found out.”

I assumed that he was referring to his shooting of the guy who shot at them in Ennis's truck outside the police station. I don't recall Ellery ever threatening Ennis with anything.

My assumptions could be completely wrong of course.

I actually feel a little sorry for Junior at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I want to shake her, but she is young, and confused. She wants her Daddy to take her away from her problems.

I think that it's interesting that Ellery seems quite immune to feminine emotional manipulation, as with Junior and Alma previously. He can be cold when he needs to be - guess that the policeman coming out in him.

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4583 on: September 27, 2006, 11:05:34 am »
I assumed that he was referring to his shooting of the guy who shot at them in Ennis's truck outside the police station. I don't recall Ellery ever threatening Ennis with anything.

My assumptions could be completely wrong of course.

I actually feel a little sorry for Junior at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I want to shake her, but she is young, and confused. She wants her Daddy to take her away from her problems.

I think that it's interesting that Ellery seems quite immune to feminine emotional manipulation, as with Junior and Alma previously. He can be cold when he needs to be - guess that the policeman coming out in him.

I thought that was it at first too Kazza, but I am sure that was a more specific reference to Ennis, I dont know why.

As for Junior, I dont really feel sorry for her, although I think I should! Does that make sense? lol  She's just driving me mad with her faffing about, and her constant moaning to her dad.  I dont think she's had anyone be as direct and as cold as Ellery was, and I think that really threw her, especially as he was always so nice and friendly before. 

My take on Ellery being immune to female manipulation is the fact that he never married, never had a girlfriend and doesnt have children - and that he is a policeman and is able to take out the emotional aspect of any situation when he needs to - as well as add it back in when its needed too. 

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4584 on: September 27, 2006, 11:08:17 am »
Louise  - you might have to clear up that threat reference for some of us.

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4585 on: September 27, 2006, 11:09:48 am »
only if you tell us how to pronounce them...!
Hehehe - I'll tell you in person when you come to Holland  ;D

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4586 on: September 27, 2006, 11:11:28 am »
Yep, definitely!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4587 on: September 27, 2006, 11:11:53 am »

I am thinking it was a situation where Ennis saw Ellery threaten someone else, but I am not putting two and two together as to when it was. It wasn't outside the police station (after Ennis's truck got shot)--there wasn't enough time then, and when Ellery went back out with the gun, Ennis wasn't there.

Leslie <------- continuing to wrack her brain
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4588 on: September 27, 2006, 11:12:02 am »
Ellery was talking about the night Beagle called him from the apartment and told him he had just fucked Rudy and Ennis had to restrain him physically from going up to the apartment armed and chasing them off with his gun.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4589 on: September 27, 2006, 11:13:35 am »
Ellery was talking about the night Beagle called him from the apartment and told him he had just fucked Rudy and Ennis had to restrain him physically from going up to the apartment armed and chasing them off with his gun.

Of course. Duh.

L