Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 546898 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #1730 on: March 05, 2007, 04:42:07 pm »

http://av.steppenwolf.com/mp3s/all_time_greatest_hits_hi/brntbwldh.mp3

"Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf.

How perfect is that - I love it!!!!  Now I have to go back and read that part while listening!! :D

all I had time for today was Part 1 of the Epilogue.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/213817.html  "Epilogue: A Private Party"

Woo Hoo -  off to read!!   :D

Love ya, Louise  :-*

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #1731 on: March 05, 2007, 08:28:22 pm »
I thought I was the only! Freddie Mercury also makes me think of Ellery. However, I don't think Ellery is as flamboyant as Freddie was, but yeah there's something elleryish about him. 

I agree - Ellery only got flamboyant in the bedroom. Mercury was as flamboyant there as elsewhere as his lover Jim Hutton reports: "When he got the urge for sex there was no stopping it - he wanted it at once. He was a very sexy man and I think I partly fell in love - much to my surprise -  with his amazingly slender body." And Hutton is so Ennis-like: whenever he saw Mercury perfoming on stage he'd think to himself: "That's my man!" Here's my favourite shot of Freddie:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 04:16:45 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1732 on: March 06, 2007, 11:28:58 am »
Since I was feeling homesick for Ellery, I went back and did some re-reading of "What I Did On My Day Off," which I think is one of my favorite of all the stories (if I had to pick a favorite). I love it being from Ellery's point of view. And this may very well be one of my favorite quotes of all....

“You gonna be all right?”

And from close range he flashed his eyes at me an he stammered “Just be careful. I don’t want nothin ta happen to ya.”

Black comes in awful handy for not showin when ya suddenly get aroused on the job, an I hoped I was standin too close for him to see what that look did ta me, and said “Don’t worry – we got a getaway car, remember?”

His smile made me ache on top of bein rock hard.

“I ain’t never been shot. This body is in perfect condition, an I aim it to stay that way. I got plans for it.” An I gave em what I hoped was a promise a future pleasures he never dreamed of with whoever it was he’d lost – cause I sure wanted a chance to show him a few.

“I’ll be fine,” he said, an I went downstairs right then – because if I didn’t go then I wasn’t ever gonna go till I locked Pete in the guest room an tore Ennis’s clothes off with my teeth. And I couldn’t afford to think that way with a potentially lethal customer in the bar. Bill’s bar. My bar.

And rushin down those stairs, throbbin everywhere a man could throb without bein beat up, was when I realized I’d fallen in love with a man I’d just met, at the moment when there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it. It was time to be the law. For that half hour, I really fuckin hated my job.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1733 on: March 06, 2007, 01:06:18 pm »
and I added content to the original page and completed the Epilogue!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/213817.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1734 on: March 06, 2007, 01:07:16 pm »
Okay, first I have to do this:

Since I was feeling homesick for Ellery, I went back and did some re-reading of "What I Did On My Day Off," which I think is one of my favorite of all the stories (if I had to pick a favorite). I love it being from Ellery's point of view. And this may very well be one of my favorite quotes of all....

“You gonna be all right?”

And from close range he flashed his eyes at me an he stammered “Just be careful. I don’t want nothin ta happen to ya.”

Black comes in awful handy for not showin when ya suddenly get aroused on the job, an I hoped I was standin too close for him to see what that look did ta me, and said “Don’t worry – we got a getaway car, remember?”

His smile made me ache on top of bein rock hard.

“I ain’t never been shot. This body is in perfect condition, an I aim it to stay that way. I got plans for it.” An I gave em what I hoped was a promise a future pleasures he never dreamed of with whoever it was he’d lost – cause I sure wanted a chance to show him a few.

“I’ll be fine,” he said, an I went downstairs right then – because if I didn’t go then I wasn’t ever gonna go till I locked Pete in the guest room an tore Ennis’s clothes off with my teeth. And I couldn’t afford to think that way with a potentially lethal customer in the bar. Bill’s bar. My bar.

And rushin down those stairs, throbbin everywhere a man could throb without bein beat up, was when I realized I’d fallen in love with a man I’d just met, at the moment when there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it. It was time to be the law. For that half hour, I really fuckin hated my job.

Ahhhh . . . now I can look into those gray eyes while Ellery is talking to me.   :)

Thanks, Leslie
Marie
(Yes, I am aware that I have lost my marbles.)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1735 on: March 06, 2007, 01:16:27 pm »
and I added content to the original page and completed the Epilogue!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/213817.html

Yay!  What great timing.  Off to read . . .

Thanks, Louise  :-*
Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1736 on: March 06, 2007, 01:25:25 pm »
you know the most interesting thing about grey-eyed people?  Is that "grey" is one of those changeable colors,such as hazel.  Hazel-eyed people can sometimes look green, sometimes brown, and sometimes grey whereas blue-eyed people rarely look grey.

I am always reminded of Homer's "Grey-eyed Athena" and her association with morning mists... there aren't a lot of grey-eyed people around!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1737 on: March 06, 2007, 02:07:16 pm »
. . .
I am always reminded of Homer's "Grey-eyed Athena" and her association with morning mists... there aren't a lot of grey-eyed people around!

Yes, that fits.  Ellery is special in so many ways.  :)

Thanks, Louise
Marie

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #1738 on: March 07, 2007, 11:20:55 am »
Cross-posted from the LJ site.

Louise,

You are so good at soft, lovely landings.

I like how you have wrapped things up with our couples in Laramie. Ennis & Ellery, Wayne & Pinky, Nick & Jeremy, Nate & Richard. It seems like the gay community in Laramie is doing just fine. I'm not sure where Jeeves is relationship-wise right now. But having this background, and knowing that all the couples are happy makes the Christmas story so much sweeter.

I agree with my_lil-darlin about the life you have crafted for Ennis. Ranch work that suits him to a tee. Daughters that adore him and want to be a part of his life. No more worries about money. Friends like Edna and Wes, Dupree, and the guys at the bar. And Ellery of course.

I also like the emotional journey on which you have taken Ennis with regards to his beloved Jack. By now in this story--and later on at the end of the Christmas story--Ennis has gotten to a point where he can remember the good times with Jack with a fondness in his heart rather than being torn up and depressed by his memories. That is a beautiful thing.

I like the way you end this tale with the idea that Ennis and Ellery can take their time and enjoy their love and lives together. Your “Now we ain’t in no hurry anymore” stands in stark diametric opposition to Proulx's "never enough time, never enough."

I, too, believe that Jack is smiling down on Ennis and that he is at peace knowing that Ennis loves and cares, and is loved and cared for in return.

Milo
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1739 on: March 07, 2007, 01:17:10 pm »
What lovely thoughts, Milo.  I enjoyed reading them.  I liked this observation especially:

I like the way you end this tale with the idea that Ennis and Ellery can take their time and enjoy their love and lives together. Your “Now we ain’t in no hurry anymore” stands in stark diametric opposition to Proulx's "never enough time, never enough."
Milo

Thanks for sharing,

Marie