Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3183822 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4730 on: September 30, 2006, 02:25:19 pm »
welcome, TH!

Did you read the ENTIRE saga in a week?  If so I think you set a record!  Today I just finished writing "The Long Way Home", and am already feeling the pangs of guilt about setting an end point to the Laramie Saga.

Pang of guilt? Just let it flow! Get on with book vi whenever you're ready, and then decide what to do.  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 04:19:46 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4731 on: September 30, 2006, 02:44:07 pm »
NOW Louise, when you start the next book, whenever you can, are we going to hear more about this mysterious "token" that Ellery speaks of??

Monica

« Reply #4732 on: September 30, 2006, 02:54:29 pm »
I just wanted to say I am sad to see book 5 end  :(
but I am happy there will be a book 6-The Red Stallion   ;D

SPOILERS

I liked Ennis and Ellery's trip to Brokeback, to the Honeymoon suite, and of course back to Riverton.  Ennis and Ellery have certainly been on a journey.  Relieved Worrell confessed, and we found some closure for Jack.   And I liked the time Ennis spent with his daughters.  It is one thing for him to come to term with his sexuality in the privacy of his and Ellery's bedroom.  It is another to come out and live with Ellery among his family.  Small steps, but Ennis is getting there. 

I loved the way book 5 ended with their engagement.  They opened about their feelings for each other, making promises and commitments.  Wonder what Ellery will get Ennis for their commitment?
“I think I understand that now, Ennis. I guess that is why I could go up ta Brokeback an see you puttin flowers on Jack’s grave, knowin you ain’t never gonna forget, an you won’t stop goin there ta visit. Cause yer loyal. Bout time I found a loyal man.”
“I said I belonged ta you an I mean it. No goin back,” Ennis said, cheeks burning red.
“An I mean it too.”

I also love Ennis's loyalty and to both Jack and Ellery. 

Looking forward to Book 6, sounds interesting.  I like the characters there, Lauren, Pete (with no spleen), Wayne, and Dupree (maybe now we will Dupree settle down with someone, hum).    And I wonder if Ennis’s girls will find there way down to Laramie after all.  And of course hoping for more Ennis and Ellery!

Thank you Louise, it has been so much fun to read!

Tara

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4733 on: September 30, 2006, 02:57:13 pm »
yup, yup. I promise.

Also, let me just clarify, since it sounds like I was a little misleading in my Afterword there, Book VI will be a Laramie Saga book just like the other ones.  However, it is not on the same "story arc", so to speak, as the previous five books.  It is still about Ennis and Ellery, but it is also about Lauren and Simon, Wayne and Pete, Sally and Ben, and maybe a little Junior goodness thrown in as well, and of course, our one and only beloved DUPREE and his new love interest, as well as the featured drunks from the big drunken crash in "Long Way Home."  As well as guest appearances from the Sheriff's Department and a lot more doughboys!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4734 on: September 30, 2006, 03:17:17 pm »
Thanks for the pm Louise. I can see it now. I just had to scroll halfway down the page for some reason. Lovely chapter..getting engaged. *SIGH*. Looking forward to finding out about Duprees new love interest! Wheres June btw? Havnt seen her all day. :'( Hope she,s not letting RL get in the way of the important stuff lol. ;) ;)
Anyway, nite all, and thanks Louise for those two lovely chapters. Nite June. ;) ;)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4735 on: September 30, 2006, 03:20:52 pm »
I got some catching up to do before the next book ... few chapters behind!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #4736 on: September 30, 2006, 04:06:36 pm »
yup, yup. I promise.

Also, let me just clarify, since it sounds like I was a little misleading in my Afterword there, Book VI will be a Laramie Saga book just like the other ones.  However, it is not on the same "story arc", so to speak, as the previous five books.  It is still about Ennis and Ellery, but it is also about Lauren and Simon, Wayne and Pete, Sally and Ben, and maybe a little Junior goodness thrown in as well, and of course, our one and only beloved DUPREE and his new love interest, as well as the featured drunks from the big drunken crash in "Long Way Home."  As well as guest appearances from the Sheriff's Department and a lot more doughboys!
OH *excited squeeee* I'm SO looking forward to book VI!!!!!
Especially to the lovely Dupree  ;D *winks at Souxi* LOL!! And the Sheriff's Departement guys. I loved the police station chaps as well  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #4737 on: September 30, 2006, 04:10:43 pm »
Thanks for the pm Louise. I can see it now. I just had to scroll halfway down the page for some reason. Lovely chapter..getting engaged. *SIGH*. Looking forward to finding out about Duprees new love interest! Wheres June btw? Havnt seen her all day. :'( Hope she,s not letting RL get in the way of the important stuff lol. ;) ;)
Anyway, nite all, and thanks Louise for those two lovely chapters. Nite June. ;) ;)
Hi Souxi!
I just got in, it's my brothers b-day today, so yeah, I did let RL get in the way  ;D But is was very enjoyable this time  :) SO, I have 2 new chaps to go and read? SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  ;D  ;D
Nite Souxi  ;)

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4738 on: September 30, 2006, 04:13:01 pm »
welcome, TH!

Did you read the ENTIRE saga in a week?  If so I think you set a record!  Today I just finished writing "The Long Way Home", and am already feeling the pangs of guilt about setting an end point to the Laramie Saga.

Dont feel guilty about the fact that an end has been set for LS.  This has been a very very long story!  Long in a good way though.  I am saying this now, not having got to the end (obviously, as it hasnt even started yet!) - I may feel completely differently by then!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4739 on: September 30, 2006, 04:16:37 pm »
Remember Star Trek 3: "The wrath of Khan" ?

CHAPTER SIX:   "The wrath of Alma".     LOL

other unwarranted predictions?

Dupree wakes up hung over in the bar after a group of Marines came in the night before.   He later discovers a new tatoo on his fanny.

Alma Jr.  hitch hikes to Laramie and gets a temp job as a secretary.  She is assigned to the Sheriffs Dept!

Curt goes on a shooting spree at a Riverton florists convention shouting out ramblings about gay cowboys.   No one is injured as he is a bad shot.   He is severly beaten with carnations and pushed out into the street covered in flowers.  Towns people now shun him.

Francine sells Amway and Mary Kay products from Alma jrs old house. 

Alma Sr. joins the Anti-gay cause with Florida orange juice spokesperson Anita Bryant.

Wes and Edna form Laramies first PFLAG organization.   

Ennis wakes up Christmas morning to find a shiny new 1985 Ford F-350 dual axle pickup truck in the driveway with a big red bow on the roof.   

plus much much more!

Stay tuned, same BBM time, same BBM channel!