Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2594596 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"I" is I am a Boyband (2003)
« Reply #4030 on: June 02, 2008, 06:45:51 pm »
Dir: Benny Nemerofsky Ramsay
Canada
6 min.

From the Art Metropole website : Renowned since its appearance in 2002, I AM A BOYBAND sets John Dowland's 1597 madrigal, 'Come Again, Sweet Love Doth Now Invite' to an electro-pop beat and features Nemerofsky Ramsay in four different incarnations, each experimenting with the distinct articulations of masculinity found in contemporary boyband music videos. Nemerofsky Ramsay's self-conscious and deliberate performance reveals the ways in which such overly manufactured gestures of both character and sentimentality fall flat in their expression. Sarah Milroy remarks that Nemerofsky Ramsay's "performance is all camp glitz, but it's hard to know precisely what level of irony is intended. Ramsay has such a gorgeous singing voice that you find yourself sucked in depsite yourself."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"J" is La Jetee (1992)
« Reply #4031 on: June 02, 2008, 09:55:05 pm »
IMDb:  In a devastated Paris in the aftermath of WWIII, The few surviving humans begin researching time travel, hoping to send someone back to the pre-war world for food, supplies and maybe a solution to their dire position. One man is haunted by a vague childhood memory that will prove fateful.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-j-nnWnDFE[/youtube]

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"K" is Keep Off the Grass (1970)
« Reply #4032 on: June 03, 2008, 12:58:05 am »
From IMDb:  Tom's mother discovers a marijuana joint in his room. When his parents confront him, Tom denies being a "dope fiend." Despite his dad's admonitions about the dangers of pot, one of which is "an uncontrollable feeling of hilarity," Tom still doesn't buy it, and decides to find out for himself what pot's effects are. He goes down to where the local "weedheads" hang out and is disgusted by their sloppiness and their laziness. A couple of friendly policemen tell Tom that the reason the weedheads are like that is that pot use results in a "wholesale abandonment of goals and ambitions." While digesting this terrifying prospect, Tom is mugged by a desperate band of marijuana addicts, and finally realizes how right his parents were to try to get him to "keep off the grass!"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmuLkiZw2lY[/youtube]
Part 1 (Time: 10:16)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdt4NgYFd6g&feature=related[/youtube]
Part 2 (Time: 10:44)

A viewer comment from Internet Archive:  This is great. Imagine showing this to a classroom full of high school students today: they'd laugh you out of the room.

Offline Ellemeno

"L" is Love Shorts (2004)
« Reply #4033 on: June 03, 2008, 01:52:46 am »
Tagline: Eight women, eight stories, and one passionate question... Can we trust love?

Offline oilgun

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"N" is Nuit et brouillard (Night and Fog) (1955)
« Reply #4035 on: June 03, 2008, 03:16:04 pm »
Alain Resnais' 30-minute masterpiece only has to be seen once, as one will never forget it. 

I saw this in high school 30 years ago when the Holocaust was then 30 years old.  It was etched in my brain. 

Francois Truffaut famously called this the best film ever made. 

From an IMDb user:  Alan Resnais' "Night and Fog" was made in 1955 and illustrates with ghastly details exactly what went on inside the Nazi death camps of Struthuf, Oranienburg, Auschwitz, Belsen, Ravenbruck and Dachau.The footage was shot with the Nazi's own cameras and those of the liberating Allied Forces...Resnais filmed color footage of the empty, overgrown concentration camps Auschwitz and Majdanek and juxtaposed it with historical black and white images.The score by Hans Eisler is incredibly powerful as is the narration written by Jean Cayrol, a French poet, novelist and camp survivor.This is surely the film that needs to be seen by everyone interested in the true story of the Holocaust.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"O" is One Man's Trash (2004)
« Reply #4036 on: June 03, 2008, 06:10:45 pm »
Dee Dee (Dagney Kerr) is having another sale to save up money for fashion school. Erik (Eric Espinoza) is an Ebay entrepreneur looking for a good find to turn around and sell, dragging his girlfriend Kayla (Alana Lobit) along on the search. Harold (Tom Jermain) is on the hunt for another pocket-sized trinket to add to his collection. Donna (Donna Grayson) and Gladys (Renee Weltzien) take time from practicing in their band to get up at the crack of dawn to have first pick at sales. Eleanor (Cami Black) steps down from Beverly Hills to be among the common folk in the hopes of finding a bargain, with her incompetent assistant Charles (Jason Stiff) in tow. The City Official (Chris Hink) lays down the law about posting yard sale "advertisements" on public property. The common ground that brings this motley crew together is a yard sale, where one man's trash is another man's treasure...and anything can happen.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5I0iSZ9sg[/youtube]
(trailer)

Offline oilgun

Re: "O" is One Man's Trash (2004)
« Reply #4037 on: June 03, 2008, 07:16:30 pm »
Dee Dee (Dagney Kerr) is having another sale to save up money for fashion school. Erik (Eric Espinoza) is an Ebay entrepreneur looking for a good find to turn around and sell, dragging his girlfriend Kayla (Alana Lobit) along on the search. Harold (Tom Jermain) is on the hunt for another pocket-sized trinket to add to his collection. Donna (Donna Grayson) and Gladys (Renee Weltzien) take time from practicing in their band to get up at the crack of dawn to have first pick at sales. Eleanor (Cami Black) steps down from Beverly Hills to be among the common folk in the hopes of finding a bargain, with her incompetent assistant Charles (Jason Stiff) in tow. The City Official (Chris Hink) lays down the law about posting yard sale "advertisements" on public property. The common ground that brings this motley crew together is a yard sale, where one man's trash is another man's treasure...and anything can happen.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5I0iSZ9sg[/youtube]
(trailer)

I had only one yard sale in my life and let me tell you it was one too many!  I couldn't believe what a miserable bunch of penny-pinching, rude people these things attract.  I'd rather throw my stuff in a landfill before having to go through that ordeal again!  They are probably all nice and quirky in that doc but don't be fooled, these people are EVIL!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"P" is Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor (1936)
« Reply #4038 on: June 04, 2008, 12:10:40 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnO4EhusWuQ[/youtube]
Part 1 (Time:  8:01)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6CzDqbK2ng&feature=related[/youtube]
Part 2 (Time: 8:18)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Q" is Queer Things I Hate About You (2001)
« Reply #4039 on: June 04, 2008, 12:40:56 pm »
IMDb:  Just because gay men and women don't sleep with each other, it doesn't mean that they are not just as involved as their breeding buddies with "the battle of the sexes".

In this amusing short gay men and women voice their displeasure with some of the stereotypes associated with each other.

Don't expect anything deep or novel here but if you enjoy hearing gay folks vent about such things as womens' plaid shirts and men's tomcat ways this may just be the short for you.