Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166095 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #7170 on: November 21, 2006, 07:06:53 am »
For those of you who are wondering, or bewildered, as to why I voiced complaints about some of the "parodies" and "fanfiction" stories that were published on Livejournal and were subsequently removed:  the Terms of Service in Livejournal do specify that the the use of another user's proprietary content, copyrighted material, ideas or subject matter, is not permitted on Livejournal.  The original content of the Laramie Saga, while it does not carry a copyright, does qualify as proprietary content, and as such, falls under the provisions in Livejournal's Terms of Service.  The rules regarding the proper method of parody do NOT involve the reuse of the specific characters, plots, and ideas of a person's original fiction, or copying of its text - and this is recognized under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.  Anyone who would like to use any of my proprietary content, may do so only with permission, and those same rights extend to all fan authors, whether they know it, or not.

The reason why some websites were suspended had nothing to do with me: if Livejournal requires removal of content, and it is not done by the user himself, they will suspend the account and do it themselves as an enforcement measure.

Just in case anyone was wondering.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #7171 on: November 21, 2006, 07:07:14 am »
Louise, what ever you do, please do not hurry to complete the Saga.  :o

I do love Dupree, but, Ennis and Ellery are still the characters I like to read about the most. Oh yes!

Karen

Oh yeah, definitely.  Perhaps you can do it this way after the conclusion of LS - every 3 or 4 E&E short stories to be followed by 1 Dupree short story with guest appearances by E&E.  

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #7172 on: November 21, 2006, 07:22:50 am »
Elooo everyone.Mornin June.(twin) lol. ;) ;D
Lovely and bright and sunny today for a change. Re the short stories, is one of them going to be a special honeymoon one? *SIGH*  Ok ok so I,m an old romantic lol. They deserve schmoop, LOTS of schmoop, lots and lots and lots and lots. bless em.  ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7173 on: November 21, 2006, 07:26:17 am »
What the hell is schmoop?

Schmoop was originally coined by MadLori when she was making a comment about my story..."Don't you think, at times, it gets a little schmoopy?" she said, referring to an overabundance of "I love yous" and "babes" in a particular chapter. I thought her comment was funny. In that context, schmoop would be all the super-sentimenal stuff which we all need, every now and then.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #7174 on: November 21, 2006, 07:30:34 am »
Schmoop was originally coined by MadLori when she was making a comment about my story..."Don't you think, at times, it gets a little schmoopy?" she said, referring to an overabundance of "I love yous" and "babes" in a particular chapter. I thought her comment was funny. In that context, schmoop would be all the super-sentimenal stuff which we all need, every now and then.

Leslie

Leslie there is NEVER, repeat NEVER too much "I love yous" and "babe" in your story. As far as I,m concerned they can NEVER call each other babe too much or say I love you either. They did it all the way through ALBFS and I,m happy to say they are still doing it now. *SIGH* Now then, about "that" aniversary they have to celebrate? you know the one lol.  ;) ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7175 on: November 21, 2006, 07:32:09 am »

There was this  "Seinfeld" episode, where  Jerry and a girlfriend kept kissing, cuddling, and making baby noises in front of a really grossed- out  George.  They keep  telling each-other "your schmoopy", "no, you're schmoopy", in a cutesy voice, until George had enough and barked, "ok, you're BOTH schmoopy.

Ah, the good old days. ;)

Also, to  "Dupreeciate". Its just too  #$%^ funny   :laugh:

Ah, okay, Seinfeld. MadLori said it to me and I thought she made the word up.

I am probably one of three people in the US who never, ever watched a single Seinfeld episode. I went around for years before I figured out where Yadda yadda yadda came from.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #7176 on: November 21, 2006, 07:46:35 am »

There was this  "Seinfeld" episode, where  Jerry and a girlfriend kept kissing, cuddling, and making baby noises in front of a really grossed- out  George.  They keep  telling each-other "your schmoopy", "no, you're schmoopy", in a cutesy voice, until George had enough and barked, "ok, you're BOTH schmoopy.

Ah, the good old days. ;)

Also, to  "Dupreeciate". Its just too  #$%^ funny   :laugh:

AAhhhhh! You mean schmaltz!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7177 on: November 21, 2006, 08:18:55 am »
I think "schmaltz" is more pure sentimentality.

"Schmoop" is definitely limited to the childish babytalk lovers can do with one another when they start acting terminally cutesy.  It is certainly a memorable line when George bursts out "Okay, you're BOTH Schmoopy!"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7178 on: November 21, 2006, 10:01:52 am »
Thanks Louise for clearing up what will happen in OUR futures as it pertains to Ennis and Ellery.  You are very generous.

Side bar:  Just finished reading "Marley and Me" and have been inspired that the guys ( Ennis and Ellery) need a dog. I mean a man dog.  A big Lab would be perfect.  Read the book and picture that dog (Marley) in Laramie Saga.

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7179 on: November 21, 2006, 10:06:02 am »

I am probably one of three people in the US who never, ever watched a single Seinfeld episode. I went around for years before I figured out where Yadda yadda yadda came from.

Leslie

I've watched a few episodes of Seinfeld, but I must confess that I didn't find it remotely amusing at all. I mentioned this once at work and everyone around me looked at me as if I just confessed to eating babies.

Maybe I need therepy.

Ahh.... another chapter of LS, that will help...  ;D

Louise, my sanity is in your hands.

Karen