Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167148 times)

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #7390 on: November 23, 2006, 10:59:28 am »
Best of luck for your interview Louise.   :-*

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #7391 on: November 23, 2006, 11:00:47 am »
I'm going away for a long weekend tomorrow so will be missing lots of wonderful chapters, but it will be really nice to catch up with them all when I get back.   :)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7392 on: November 23, 2006, 11:11:38 am »
I'm going away for a long weekend tomorrow so will be missing lots of wonderful chapters, but it will be really nice to catch up with them all when I get back.   :)

Going away?  Oh No!   by the time you get back Jeremy and Nick will have consumated their new friendship (several times) and sitting back having a cigarrette!

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #7393 on: November 23, 2006, 11:22:06 am »
Just popping in to say HAPPY THANKSGIVING everybody!

It's morning here in sunny (but chilly) Florida and I have a turkey to put in the oven and stuffing and green bean cassarole to make.  My folks made it safely from NY and are coming over later.

But, if I get a chance I do want to post more later.  The essays and discussions have been wonderful reading and I hope to share my thoughts.

For all who are celebrating:  Have a great 'Turkey Day'!   ;D :D :-*

P.S.  Tomorrow my hubby is getting me up at 0500 (in the morning!!!) to hit the stores for Black Friday.   Eeeeek!   :o   :laugh:
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7394 on: November 23, 2006, 11:22:32 am »

I got an excited call from London, and they are setting up an interview for me for the Zurich job. 

pray for me, Fabienne, I might not be leaving Europe at all!

*lits a candle, crosses fingers*

good luck louise!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7395 on: November 23, 2006, 11:42:20 am »
I've been in bed fighting some sort of bug, so your interview has probably come and gone Louise, but sending positive vibes your way anyway.

*cough sniff*

I wonder what could poosibly make me feel better??  ;)

Karen

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #7396 on: November 23, 2006, 11:43:09 am »
what would we do indeed. Thank you Jo!  :)
                             well said, and so true.  you have summed up the process by which ennis or any individual who lives a life in turmoil and discontent makes...you are affected by the people and the events in your life..  no way to avoid that happening.  the no man is an island is so apprapro in this situation..  the ennis in the movie, vs the ennis in laramie saga has lived an accelerated existance in the past few months compared to the one he had lived before.  primarily because of his every day choice to live with ellery.  ellery is a kind and loving teacher.  he has taught ennis a lot of things about a person who lived in town, vs a solitary life in the back of beyond, and on those lonesome old ranches.  Ennis has had the teaching of a man that is gay and wears it proudly not afraid to admit his true feelings.  and he has also taught him a bit about a higher educated existance, by benefit of a man that had a college education..  this has been a growing experience that i believe he would have gotten by choice or by association.  therefor he not to be the same person he was before.  he was not a man unable to learn, simple untaught.

Beautiful mind

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #7397 on: November 23, 2006, 11:54:06 am »
I've been in bed fighting some sort of bug, so your interview has probably come and gone Louise, but sending positive vibes your way anyway.

*cough sniff*

I wonder what could poosibly make me feel better??  ;)

Karen

Awwww Karen, hope you feel better soon hun.xxxx :-* :-*

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7398 on: November 23, 2006, 12:59:25 pm »
Don't tell me I'm ahead of David and Roland!

The sailor is Hawt, Jo!

But you do realise that we have to put W. Miller's head on that body, right?
Just so we are on the same page ...  ;D
(I'll post the "finished product" when I get home tonight!  8) )

Offline Kelpersmek

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7399 on: November 23, 2006, 02:18:01 pm »
It does speak volumes that the remaining loud and vocal critics are those who have distorted or misread various plot points and making cliches from them, in order to make the point that I did not write about "The Ennis we love."

Hello Louise.
First may I wish you luck on your interview.

As you know I am very interested in the ideas and motivations behind your story The Laramie Saga.  Iwonder if I could ask you about this comment:

the man whose biography I used as a partial model in "Taking Chances" did as well, even in the midst of grieving the tragic death of his childhood sweetheart.  Those people who say that this could not be "the Ennis we love" because he fell in love overnight, and because he changed and grew, and came out - invalidates all of those (all of us) who have had these experiences,

I was wondering why you chose to use an existing real-world person (who presumably has a slightly different life to the character Ennis) to base your Ennis upon?  I have found him to be a rich character, well fleshed out and full of many hinted at aspects and potentials.  As such it interests me why you chose another person to model your character and his experiences upon. 

If the criticism being levelled is that it is not  Annie Proulx's "Ennis" being presented in the Laramie Saga, doesn't the fact that you based the character upon the life of someone else (as opposed to the work of AP) lend validation to this criticism?

Thank you for your time and consideration in addressing this interesting question.
"RAW PRAWN!!!! ->

Wait, my mistake, it's a lobster.  I love that fic!"
-Merrobot