Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166143 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2670 on: August 07, 2006, 09:51:45 pm »
There.  I'm not so sick I can't manage to get a chapter written.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/89208.html  "Chapter 54:  Rich Folks"

The drought has ended!  Hallelujah!

(The rain dance I did walking to my car tonight must have worked!)
 ;D
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #2671 on: August 07, 2006, 10:16:28 pm »

First and foremost, we're all so glad you are both home safe and sound, Leslie and Louise. Secondly, Louise, please take good care of your health and well being most of all. Don't go to work if you don't feel up to it. Only write updates if they help you feel better.

All that being said, I just have to make a comment on the early chapters of Taking Chances. I know I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes, but I have just noticed something delightful in my latest reading: The way Ellery refers to the car he and Ennis are using reflects the development of their growing relationship. The first time Ennis enters the El Camino, he says, "My coach awaits." When Ennis enters the unmarked, he says, "Your coach awaits." As they prepare to return the unmarked, he says, "Our coach awaits." Mine, yours, and then ours! What fun!
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2672 on: August 07, 2006, 10:20:33 pm »
Err.. Fred, I dont think you are ever slow on the uptake, me sometimes, but .. anyway ..  ;D
Great observation on the coach stuff!
I can't wait to go back to the very beginning and start reading all over again..  I plan to do that when I print all the chapters out on paper.  :)

Offline laurel

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Heath, we'll never forget you.
« Reply #2673 on: August 07, 2006, 10:38:13 pm »
Louise and Leslie,

I'm happy to hear that you had a nice time in London, and that you are both now home safe and sound.  Louise, I hope that the sore throat, sniffles, etc. doesn't develop into a real cold.  Take care of yourself!  We can be patient waiting for the next chapter if need be.  Don't push yourself too hard!

Thank you both for posting chapters from London!  That was an unexpected treat!

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.   -Annie Proulx (Icon by alighttofollow)

Offline laurel

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Heath, we'll never forget you.
« Reply #2674 on: August 07, 2006, 10:41:48 pm »
Neatfreak,

It's great that you are keeping a list of where we live.  We are certainly an international group!  Please add me to the New England contingent.  I live in Rocky Hill, Connecticut (EDT).

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.   -Annie Proulx (Icon by alighttofollow)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #2675 on: August 07, 2006, 10:42:06 pm »
Err.. Fred, I dont think you are ever slow on the uptake, me sometimes, but .. anyway ..  ;D
Great observation on the coach stuff!
I can't wait to go back to the very beginning and start reading all over again..  I plan to do that when I print all the chapters out on paper.  :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lucise, but I'm kind of famously slow on the uptake - just ask my children. :)

I guess my worst example of that in the Laramie Saga was the Mayor of Laramie: Louise named him Fred Isling, and I only noticed that on the second or third reading. heheh
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #2676 on: August 08, 2006, 03:28:00 am »

;D
hehehehe   ;D

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2677 on: August 08, 2006, 06:04:16 am »
Neatfreak,

It's great that you are keeping a list of where we live.  We are certainly an international group!  Please add me to the New England contingent.  I live in Rocky Hill, Connecticut (EDT).

<waves>   Howdy Neighbor!   ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2678 on: August 08, 2006, 06:13:28 am »

;D

Rain dance?! Is that what woke me up and got me out of bed at 1:30 in the morning?  Who would a thought?

Well, I had little hope of getting out of bed this morning, but the medicine has done a lot for the pain in my throat and has kept me from coughing my head off my neck.  But it sure sounds like bronchitis, which means I may be sitting at home right where I am till I stop feeling hot and cold all over.  Thanks everyone for the comments on LJ!  I imagine sometime today I#ll get to the fancy part!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

« Reply #2679 on: August 08, 2006, 06:42:28 am »
Rain dance?! Is that what woke me up and got me out of bed at 1:30 in the morning?  Who would a thought?

Well, I had little hope of getting out of bed this morning, but the medicine has done a lot for the pain in my throat and has kept me from coughing my head off my neck.  But it sure sounds like bronchitis, which means I may be sitting at home right where I am till I stop feeling hot and cold all over.  Thanks everyone for the comments on LJ!  I imagine sometime today I#ll get to the fancy part!

Bronchitis? Shit Louise, take care of yourself, and get better soon!  :-*
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.