Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131936 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2820 on: August 12, 2006, 09:07:38 am »
Overused is sort of an understatement.  I am not sure I have seen any OTHER plot device used to illustrate Ennis's growing awareness of his homosexuality, or the development of conflict in an ongoing relationship with Jack in the AU world... it is sort of like the first trick out of the gate.  There is more going on with Dupree, but none of it is simple and he is a major character, and not a cheap plot trick!

I like to think I did something a little different. Fred, Scudder may chime in with their thoughts on this....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #2821 on: August 12, 2006, 09:07:50 am »
SPOILER

I'm gonna die a slow death if I can't my daily dose of Laramie. This is the first vacation I've actually not wanted to go on. I'm having too much fun here! I will look high and low for a WiFi hotspot in that tiny town. Wish me luck!

Neatfreak, having been overseas for six weeks on holiday recently I know just how you feel. At each new location the first thing I would do was check out the nearest Internet access and then fit in an online session somehow to get my daily fix. This turned out to be a major exercise (involving cafes, Internet cafes, hotel business centres, libraries and one magical Internet cafe in Dubrovnik located outdoors amidst the trees in a local park). It was worth it!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2822 on: August 12, 2006, 09:28:24 am »
Of course, Leslie.  Ennis' relationship with Hal.  His visits to the nursing home and the deepening friendship leading to Hal coming home to die.  And...the last kiss of his life, with Ennis, and on the lips.  And the rainbow in the sky as Hal dies. Ennis acknowledged then that he was really, truly gay.  And so did a few others who were reading the story.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2823 on: August 12, 2006, 11:07:49 am »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/91164.html  "Chapter 61: Woman Trouble"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #2824 on: August 12, 2006, 11:50:03 am »
Of course, Leslie.  Ennis' relationship with Hal.  His visits to the nursing home and the deepening friendship leading to Hal coming home to die.  And...the last kiss of his life, with Ennis, and on the lips.  And the rainbow in the sky as Hal dies. Ennis acknowledged then that he was really, truly gay.  And so did a few others who were reading the story.

Well, you knew I would want to get a word in on this, too, hunh? The deep friendship Ennis developed with Hal in A Love Born from Steel was no plot device. Jack was thrilled to see it happen; he realized that Ennis didn't make friends easily. Hal took an interest in Ennis as a person, and that sealed the bargain. Ennis realized that he could have fallen in love with Hal if he had been born years earlier. This realization enabled him to recognize and accept his own homosexuality.

In the Laramie Saga Ennis begins to recognize and accept his homosexuality gradually. As he falls in love with Ellery he is able to come out, at least to himself and his beloved. As he sees the acceptance of others, especially Wes, Edna and Dupree, he can come out of the closet more and more. It's a natural process, and I'm looking forward to seeing it unfold more and more.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2825 on: August 12, 2006, 11:51:08 am »
Just a little visual treat to go with the chapter.    ::)

*note:  While there is no frontal nudity in this pic, it could still offend.   So if you are offended please PM me and I will remove it.   
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 11:58:02 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2826 on: August 12, 2006, 11:53:32 am »
SPOILER

Louise,  How wonderful.  You sure know this sex thing. I have learned more these last few weeks than I ever did before. You are changing my life. I'm still bashful like Ennis but I am coming out of it much like Ennis is.  As Ennis goes, so I go!

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2827 on: August 12, 2006, 11:59:15 am »
Well, you knew I would want to get a word in on this, too, hunh? The deep friendship Ennis developed with Hal in A Love Born from Steel was no plot device. Jack was thrilled to see it happen; he realized that Ennis didn't make friends easily. Hal took an interest in Ennis as a person, and that sealed the bargain. Ennis realized that he could have fallen in love with Hal if he had been born years earlier. This realization enabled him to recognize and accept his own homosexuality.

In the Laramie Saga Ennis begins to recognize and accept his homosexuality gradually. As he falls in love with Ellery he is able to come out, at least to himself and his beloved. As he sees the acceptance of others, especially Wes, Edna and Dupree, he can come out of the closet more and more. It's a natural process, and I'm looking forward to seeing it unfold more and more.

[/quote

Fred, I am going to stop posting.  I'll just wait for your comments, and then say "ditto".

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2828 on: August 12, 2006, 12:02:22 pm »
Just a little visual treat to go with the chapter.    ::)

*note:  While there is no frontal nudity in this pic, it could still offend.   So if you are offended please PM me and I will remove it.   

David, don't remove it. Send some more!!

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #2829 on: August 12, 2006, 12:04:59 pm »
Please, please don't stop posting, scudder! It helps me to know that there is a kindred spirit out there. This time I want to echo something you said: "As Ennis goes, so I go." I feel so connected to Ennis in this story that I feel very much the same way. I'm going through significant grief work in my own life, and I find that I make progress along with Ennis. As Louise hoped it would, the story of Ennis and Ellery gives me hope and healing.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred