Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167012 times)

Offline CarolK1943

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2910 on: August 15, 2006, 12:04:59 pm »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/93926.html  "Chapter 69:  Reopening"

Full of Joe goodness!

Ummmm, Louise?  Did you forget chapter 68?  Or is this really chapter 68?  Or did I somehow miss the post on chapter 68?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2911 on: August 15, 2006, 12:51:35 pm »
I posted earlier on 68:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/93633.html  "Chapter 68:  Assault at the Stallion"

MODIFY:  No I never did post it!  Bad on me!  thanks for catching that Carol!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 01:01:21 pm by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2912 on: August 15, 2006, 01:11:00 pm »
Hi, guys!

The Internet has found Highlands, NC! I can access DSL at my brother's rental, and the local ice cream parlor has WiFi. If I have to eat homemade ice cream with mix-ins on a waffle cone in order to get my Laramie fix, well, so be it. I suffer for my art. Today's flavor: chocolate with cashews. Mmmmm.

Family's a little miffed that I can't get away from "work" while on vacation. But I assure them it's just fine. No trouble at all. Keep posting those updates, Louise!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2913 on: August 15, 2006, 01:18:26 pm »
Yay, welcome back neatfreak!  And you just work hard on eating that ice cream and I'll keep working hard on posting those updates!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2914 on: August 15, 2006, 01:29:10 pm »
Family's a little miffed that I can't get away from "work" while on vacation. But I assure them it's just fine. No trouble at all. Keep posting those updates, Louise!

"work" indeed ..lol..life can be so hard sometimes can't it?  ;D

Not to be pushy or anything .. but Go Louise! Go!   8)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2915 on: August 15, 2006, 02:26:26 pm »
Did y'all realise we have past 2900 posts already?  :D
Redlinin' it all the way to 3000, we are!
Yeehaw!

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #2916 on: August 15, 2006, 02:36:23 pm »
I usually just lurk, Louise, but I wanted to say that I found 'Taking chances' infinitely romantic and tender, but without being corny or sentimental.  The basic themes are romantic in themselves (finding love when you think you'll never find it again, opening up to new possibilities).  But there's so much else as well - how open Ellery is about his feelings for Ennis from day one, how emotionally supportive he is to Ennis (especially round his guilt about Jack), the way Ennis looks after Ellery when he's crippled by back pain, all the physical contact (lots of kissing, hand-holding) that is as much tender and loving as sexual. 

Inevitably, the later volumes have got a broader focus so the emphasis is different, but, to me, the story remains centred in a relationship that is both tender and passionate.   This tenderness isn't just prompted by the more dramatic plot developments around danger, jealousy and insecurity (for example I love the wading-in-the-river scene which I suppose is a reaction to Ellery getting all angry about Beagle) - it's also shown in all the incidental pleasures of sharing your life with someone (breakfast in bed, having friends round for a barbeque). 

I also found an internet cafe - mine is overlooking the ferry dock in Friday Harbor, Wa

Of course, I'm biased because Ellery just does it for me as a romantic character!

Polly

I also found an internet cafe - mine is overlooking the ferry dock in Friday Harbor, Wa

I agree with every word you wrote, Polly. The Laramie Saga is a rare balance of romance, drama, comedy relief, and CSI Laramie.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2917 on: August 15, 2006, 02:53:50 pm »
Yowza Fred!

I was wondering why chat was empty earlier today and there you are!  I love to see how determined fans are to keep showing up and doing their duty to keep reading the updates!  Thank you all!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2918 on: August 15, 2006, 03:01:04 pm »
I posted earlier on 68:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/93633.html  "Chapter 68:  Assault at the Stallion"

Great chapters Louise!

Now, we just need a way to leave Lance and Dupree together .. for like an hour.. see what happens .. ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2919 on: August 15, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »
I agree with every word you wrote, Polly. The Laramie Saga is a rare balance of romance, drama, comedy relief, and CSI Laramie.

Right you are Fred!  :)
Louise, I take it you are a CSI fan? 
I am into CSI LasVegas and Miami myself, and more recently into CSI Laramie!  ;)