Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131938 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3440 on: September 03, 2006, 04:18:32 pm »
hee hee, okay okay my din din isnt ready yet, so keep those yummy descriptions down will you?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3441 on: September 03, 2006, 04:24:20 pm »
hee hee, okay okay my din din isnt ready yet, so keep those yummy descriptions down will you?
You're eating really late Louise!!
Probably due to all the wonderful writing you've been doing!  ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3442 on: September 03, 2006, 05:54:59 pm »
oh yes that was the reason!  not because I was lounging around late in bed and didnt have breakfast until noon.... no, not me!

On my way to bed now... much better prepared for a work week since there will be no high drama involved!  (at least, none outside of "The Long Way Home")

cheers everyone... thanks for all your comments and suggestions.  Livejournal comments have been peaking at all time highs and there were three new readers who just messaged me this weekend.  This being popular thing is exhausting!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3443 on: September 03, 2006, 06:00:02 pm »
oh yes that was the reason!  not because I was lounging around late in bed and didnt have breakfast until noon.... no, not me!

On my way to bed now... much better prepared for a work week since there will be no high drama involved!  (at least, none outside of "The Long Way Home")

cheers everyone... thanks for all your comments and suggestions.  Livejournal comments have been peaking at all time highs and there were three new readers who just messaged me this weekend.  This being popular thing is exhausting!
Hehehehe Louise!  ;D
Nite Nite
See you tomorrow  :)
Oh man, I wish I was sleepy right now...damn jet lag!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3444 on: September 03, 2006, 06:14:46 pm »
Night Louise!

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #3445 on: September 03, 2006, 09:14:30 pm »
This story is really opening up our thinking about the BBM story as the back comments make clear. Other fanfics which feature Ennis and Jack or just Ennis alone are able to tackle issues in the relationship in a more in-depth fashion than the original story but because the characters are all the same no new perspective is introduced. You end up tending to go around in circles after a while.

But a new relationship brings in a new person and a new perspective which sheds new light on what has gone before and throws up new issues for us all to consider. This is possible because we readers have been prepared in a sense to "move on" as well as Ennis. That is what I looked to do anyway - to break out of the bonds of the original story to see where life might lead Ennis. Not just to move on but break out and let in some fresh air and a longer view and a wider perspective!

And ironically all those who threw their hands up in horror that this all would involve some sort of diminishment of Jack cannot know just how powerful his presence is in the environment of this story and just how important he remains not only to Ennis but to the readers of this story (as the back comments will attest!) What insights they are missing out on by refusing to countenance someone new in Ennis' life at any price.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3446 on: September 03, 2006, 09:29:53 pm »
Some H  & H for the evening ...

I miss the cowboy hats on the emoticons!   ??? :-\ :P ;D

Offline laurel

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Heath, we'll never forget you.
« Reply #3447 on: September 04, 2006, 01:36:52 am »
Thanks for the H&H picture, Lucise.  Yes, Louise spoils us, but so do you! :)
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.   -Annie Proulx (Icon by alighttofollow)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3448 on: September 04, 2006, 02:13:38 am »
Thanks for the H&H picture, Lucise.  Yes, Louise spoils us, but so do you! :)
I definitely second that! Thanks Lucise! :)
Miss the hats too... :'(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3449 on: September 04, 2006, 05:18:08 am »
oh my lord...

I think my brain melted this weekend from the combination of new reader comments and existing reader comments... I spent most of the weekend poring over the flood of LJ's I have gotten from seemingly everywhere.  The insights and responses have been incredible - some of them breathtaking - to read, and I have a very "aw shucks" feeling about it all and a little embarrassment at all of the attention.

And here I thought "The Long Way Home" would be a quiet, contemplative story after all the excitement... it would appear that the readers have been ploughing through CSI:Laramie to get to the "good stuff" about Ennis and Jack, and Ennis and Ellery and the Brokeback memorial all this time.  Silly me.