Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2169067 times)

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #1670 on: August 24, 2007, 12:00:54 am »
No, I've never set foot in California.  I'm going out there on blind faith.  So it had better be as nice as you say it is, or I'll snatch you bladheaded.   :laugh:  (That's a southern expression.  Wonder how they'll take it when I say stuff like that in California.)
Gary

See here, garycottle! What's all this talk about bald snatches and what not?
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Holiday Snaps
« Reply #1671 on: August 24, 2007, 12:01:44 am »
They are big and hairy and ugly, they can do whatever they want!
Susie

Good grief!  I've never seen bigger, uglier spiders! 

SusieBaby, I got your messages and I will send a reply soon, this weekend, latest, okay?  I'm just so tardy with answering my PMs.  Forgive me, Sweets!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #1672 on: August 24, 2007, 12:04:53 am »
And thanks to you, Toycoon, for creating and keeping this lovely little thread going for so long.  It's been a wild ride!  Is the ride slowing down now?  Seems like it could be.  Anyway, thanks again, Toycoon, you sweet, sugary mush-daddy.  At least I think that's what Shasta called you once, and it seems right to me.   :)   

Please don't say that, Spicey!  The thread will pick up, if I have to carry it all  by myself.   :)  As far as I'm concerned, there ain't no reins on this one!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

The Black Truck (Part 2)
« Reply #1673 on: August 24, 2007, 12:28:45 am »
The Black Truck (Part 2) by Littlewing1957

But his curiosity took hold, and Ennis cut a quick glance at the good looking guy - just a small turn of the eyes in the other fella’s direction.  Ennis didn’t anticipate having to compete for the job.  And looking at the fine build and confident manner of the dark haired fella, Ennis felt a slight twinge of anxiety.

Jack kicked his truck’s tires and cursed!  He was really tired of that rusting, unreliable heap!  He was also weary of work with livestock, and surly, unreasonable bosses.  But Jack needed the job, had no choice but to show up, try to see if Aguirre had something, anything up on Brokeback that he could do for the summer.

When Jack Twist first laid eyes on Ennis Del Mar, he wondered why he felt compelled to turn around and face the front of Aguirre’s trailer.  Was it instinct: a sense of fight or flight, or did he sense something good?  Jack’s heart stopped as he took in the fair haired teenager.  He didn’t know what it was about Ennis that got to him first.  Was it the slight fatigue, the hunched shoulders, the sense of uncertainty, the sadness?  Jack vowed right then and there, right at the very second he fell in love, that he would try to replace the sadness with joy.  He could only try…
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 01:01:19 am by littlewing1957 »

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
The Trip to Signal
« Reply #1674 on: August 24, 2007, 12:51:23 am »
The Trip to Signal by Toycoon

Fifty cents don't buy much these days but it bought just enough ethyl gas for the trip to Signal and maybe a beer afterwards; the old pick up must have known this, too, because she just made it as far as Aguirre's trailer, fortunately walking distance to JT's bar, then conked out.

Jack was glad to get out of Lightning Flat for the summer again even though it was the same sheep herding job as last year when Aguirre got all over him about the damn sheep, the rain, the lightning and everything else it seemed that Jack had no control over; his daddy was still sore about Jack not making any money to help out around the house and his foolish plan to be a bronc rider, threatening to kick Jack out if he didn't start pulling his weight and behaving like a man.

From the corner of his eye, Jack caught sight of a man, a stranger, in a white cowboy hat and tan coat; Jack chuckled because for a moment, the stranger resembled the toy cowboy his momma gave him on Jack's ninth birthday, so tall, lean and ... serious.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Luvlylittlewing

No Sale
« Reply #1675 on: August 24, 2007, 12:56:04 am »
No Sale by Littlewing1957

Ennis stopped outside of the Riverton Coin Exchange and looked around.  It was Saturday morning, and the exchange, which was little more than a multi purpose pawn shop, was open for business.   The weather was bitter cold, but Ennis was sweating profusely.  He didn’t relish the task that lay before him, but in his mind, he had no other recourse.

Ennis didn’t quit his job at the ranch, but was laid off.  Steve promised him work in a few months, just as soon as business improved.  But Ennis couldn’t wait that long.  He had children to support, and he had to eat.  He stepped through the door of the Exchange and tripped a buzzer.  The clerk looked up at him and smiled.  “How are you today, sir?”  The young man asked.  “What can I do you fer?”  Ennis reached into his pocket and pulled out the gold and diamond bracelet Jack saved for a year to purchase, and handed it to the young man.  “I got this bracelet,”  Ennis began, “And it is all solid gold with real diamonds.  I..I..was thinking that I could pawn it.  How much can you give me for it?”  The clerk, whose name tag read “Theodore” held the bracelet up to the light.  He fetched a small magnifying glass and looked at the clasp for a hallmark.  “Yep, this is a beaut, alright!”  Theodore whistled.  “How much do you want for it?”  Ennis shuffled his feet nervously.  “Whatever you think is fair!”  He whispered.  Theodore placed the bracelet on a small scale and typed in a series of numbers.  “I can do anything up to $150.00.” 

Jack laid back contentedly on the bedroll, wearing nothing but a diamond and gold bracelet that spelled out the name Ennis in diamonds.  He traced a finger over the glistening stones that spelled out his lover’s name.  Ennis stood on the side of the roll, watching his husband, drinking it all in.  His own bracelet spelled Jack and rested against his wrist.  Jack reached up toward his man and touched his wrist.  “Now remember friend, if you ever need money..”

“Sir??”  It was Theodore.  Ennis looked at him with a start.  “Sir, would you like the $150?  I can go up to $175.00!”  Ennis tried to fight back his tears.  He snatched up the bracelet and shook his head.  He ran through the doors of the Riverton Coin Exchange to face the cold of the morning.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: The Trip to Signal
« Reply #1676 on: August 24, 2007, 12:59:22 am »
The Trip to Signal by Toycoon

Fifty cents don't buy much these days but it bought just enough ethyl gas for the trip to Signal and maybe a beer afterwards; the old pick up must have known this, too, because she just made it as far as Aguirre's trailer, fortunately walking distance to JT's bar, then conked out.

Jack was glad to get out of Lightning Flat for the summer again even though it was the same sheep herding job as last year when Aguirre got all over him about the damn sheep, the rain, the lightning and everything else it seemed that Jack had no control over; his daddy was still sore about Jack not making any money to help out around the house and his foolish plan to be a bronc rider, threatening to kick Jack out if he didn't start pulling his weight and behaving like a man.

From the corner of his eye, Jack caught sight of a man, a stranger, in a white cowboy hat and tan coat; Jack chuckled because for a moment, the stranger resembled the toy cowboy his momma gave him on Jack's ninth birthday, so tall, lean and ... serious.

Toycoon, what a cool tale!  This is very well written, and well,  I love this, Babe!  So tall, lean and serious?  That sure sounds like our Ennis!  :)

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: No Sale
« Reply #1677 on: August 24, 2007, 01:08:18 am »
Ennis stopped outside of the Riverton Coin Exchange and looked around.  It was Saturday morning, and the exchange, which was little more than a multi purpose pawn shop, was open for business.   The weather was bitter cold, but Ennis was sweating profusely.  He didn’t relish the task that lay before him, but in his mind, he had no other recourse.

Oh no, Ennis. Don't even think of it!
Ennis reached into his pocket and pulled out the gold and diamond bracelet Jack saved for a year to purchase, and handed it to the young man.  “I got this bracelet,”  Ennis began, “And it is all solid gold with real diamonds.  I..I..was thinking that I could pawn it.  How much can you give me for it?”  The clerk, whose name tag read “Theodore” held the bracelet up to the light.  He fetched a small magnifying glass and looked at the clasp for a hallmark.  “Yep, this is a beaut, alright!”  Theodore whistled.  “How much do you want for it?”  Ennis shuffled his feet nervously.  “Whatever you think is fair!”  He whispered.  Theodore placed the bracelet on a small scale and typed in a series of numbers.  “I can do anything up to $150.00.”

Son-of a bitch... don't do it, Ennis. You'll regret it...

He snatched up the bracelet and shook his head.  He ran through the doors of the Riverton Coin Exchange to face the cold of the morning.
Good boy. I was worried there for a minute. It's interesting that people perceive Jack to be the sentimental one of the pair but I've always thought it is Ennis. He practically has a meltdown when Jack says, "now all we got is Brokeback Mountain." To Ennis, Brokeback Mountain isn't all they have, it is everything he has to give.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Lonnie: Summer of '62
« Reply #1678 on: August 24, 2007, 01:16:38 am »
Thanks for the hospitality Toycoon.  I heard about this thread being the most popular so thought I have a look.  I'm impressed with your stories too.

Welcome, almasenior!  It is good to see you here.  I'm glad you're enjoying our stories.  Please stick around.  There will be much more to read.   :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: No Sale
« Reply #1679 on: August 24, 2007, 01:19:26 am »
Oh no, Ennis. Don't even think of it!
Son-of a bitch... don't do it, Ennis. You'll regret it...
Good boy. I was worried there for a minute. It's interesting that people perceive Jack to be the sentimental one of the pair but I've always thought it is Ennis. He practically has a meltdown when Jack says, "now all we got is Brokeback Mountain." To Ennis, Brokeback Mountain isn't all they have, it is everything he has to give.

:laugh: :laugh:  Toycoon, you're too much!  I almost fell off my chair reading this!

And I think you're right about Ennis being the sentimental one.  The evidence is there from the moment we see him dry heaving in the alley to the final meltdown at the lake.  Poor Ennis.  So much sentiment, so much love, but no outlet for it, no real way to express it.