Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2169895 times)

Dagi

Re: Missing Family
« Reply #1870 on: September 09, 2007, 04:58:47 am »
Missing Family by moremojo

"Here's me and Lureen at the last state fair, and that's Bobby standing there to my right", stated Jack with a noticeable air of pride as he showed his latest family snapshots to Ennis at their secluded campground; Jack made a regular ritual of showing his family's progress to his Wyoming cowboy on the occasion of their infrequent meetings, hoping thereby to forge a closer connection to the man who mattered most to him in the whole world, and, though he regretted it, understood Ennis's inability to reciprocate in kind, and had long since ceased asking for visual evidence of the scattered Del Mar family.

Ennis usually took pleasure in examining Jack's trove of personal memorabilia, but at this instance felt an odd sadness seize his heart when gazing upon this latest portrait of Twist togetherness, noting as usual Lureen's uncommon beauty and the son's striking growth from last year's picture and his phenomenal resemblance to his handsome, gracious father; Jack discerned a shift in mood as he glanced at his best friend's weathered face and, his heart taking its cue as naturally as ice melts into water, reached up to stroke and hold the nape of his lover's neck, softly saying, "Hey bud, anything wrong?"

Ennis, usually wanting for words, sighed, "I dunno, Jack, I was jes feelin' lonesome seeing you with your family like that...I was just thinkin of what it might be like...to have kids with you, to live with you...but that jes can't be", whereupon Jack, not missing a beat, countered "No, Ennis, you're wrong...it coulda been that way...it can be that way", grabbing those big, gnarled ranch hands to emphasize the point, but Ennis, blinking away the hint of tears, gently but firmly released Jack's grip, walking silently to the creek for silent reflection, while Jack, glued to the ground, saw the old dream fly out of sight once more.

It´s so frustrating and sad to read that......and to know that it was certainly only one of many similar situations.....it breaks my heart.  :'(

Great writing, Scott, as always, it´s so good to have you here!

Dagi

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: September 22nd
« Reply #1871 on: September 09, 2007, 12:54:26 pm »
Toycoon, I'm speechless! That was WAY BEYOND HOT! I'm loving the September saga!  BTW, would that be wringin' number 101 for Ennis?  :D

Ennis could practically teach a class in the activity: 'Wringing It Out 101!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: September 22nd (8:17 p.m.)
« Reply #1872 on: September 09, 2007, 01:00:27 pm »
She rolled over into a fetal position on her cold side of the bed, and drifted to a fitful sleep.

I always feel so sad for Alma. I know tomtrueman doesn't like her a bit but I see her as an innocent victim of nature's cruel prank. Bravo, Littlewing, for showing us another side of 'September'.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1873 on: September 09, 2007, 01:06:25 pm »
Ennis usually took pleasure in examining Jack's trove of personal memorabilia, but at this instance felt an odd sadness seize his heart when gazing upon this latest portrait of Twist togetherness, noting as usual Lureen's uncommon beauty and the son's striking growth from last year's picture and his phenomenal resemblance to his handsome, gracious father; Jack discerned a shift in mood as he glanced at his best friend's weathered face and, his heart taking its cue as naturally as ice melts into water, reached up to stroke and hold the nape of his lover's neck, softly saying, "Hey bud, anything wrong?"

Moremojo, your prose is always so wonderful to read. Each paragraph is so rich and the words you choose are sumptuously poetic. All in only three sentences! It brings a tear to my eye...

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1874 on: September 09, 2007, 06:13:16 pm »

"Here's me and Lureen at the last state fair, and that's Bobby standing there to my right", stated Jack with a noticeable air of pride as he showed his latest family snapshots to Ennis at their secluded campground; Jack made a regular ritual of showing his family's progress to his Wyoming cowboy on the occasion of their infrequent meetings, hoping thereby to forge a closer connection to the man who mattered most to him in the whole world, and, though he regretted it, understood Ennis's inability to reciprocate in kind, and had long since ceased asking for visual evidence of the scattered Del Mar family.

Ennis, usually wanting for words, sighed, "I dunno, Jack, I was jes feelin' lonesome seeing you with your family like that...I was just thinkin of what it might be like...to have kids with you, to live with you...but that jes can't be", whereupon Jack, not missing a beat, countered "No, Ennis, you're wrong...it coulda been that way...it can be that way", grabbing those big, gnarled ranch hands to emphasize the point, but Ennis, blinking away the hint of tears, gently but firmly released Jack's grip, walking silently to the creek for silent reflection, while Jack, glued to the ground, saw the old dream fly out of sight once more.

Moremojo, this is just beautiful.  So very sad, especially at the end.  Poor Jack loved Ennis so much that he would have left his family in a heartbeat.  But Ennis was too damaged to let it happen.  Beautiful writing, moremojo.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #1875 on: September 09, 2007, 06:14:13 pm »
I really feel with Alma. Poor, poor girl. So many victims of that goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation......very touching story, Marie!

Dagi

Thanks, Dagi!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1876 on: September 09, 2007, 06:33:46 pm »
I always feel so sad for Alma. I know tomtrueman doesn't like her a bit but I see her as an innocent victim of nature's cruel prank. Bravo, Littlewing, for showing us another side of 'September'.

You're right, Toycoon - Littlewing poignantly depicts the toll of Jack & Ennis' relationship on the marriage - something we don't often think about or allow ourselves to focus upon - it's so easy to get caught up in the pleasurable aspects of their coupling.

Thank you Littlewing for depicting the realism of their situation. Susiebell also depicted this well in her recent September story.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1877 on: September 09, 2007, 06:39:47 pm »

Moremojo, This is so beautiful, touching, and well written...I love the focus on the family in this episode; and especially, that bit of hope that keeps Jack invested in his dream, and which always seems to be just out of reach.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Goodbye, Jack!
« Reply #1878 on: September 09, 2007, 06:42:36 pm »
Goodbye, Jack! By littlewing1957

I’ll find you, Jack!
It is in my power
Wherever you may be..
Across the years or in an hour,
Please save a place for me.

Ennis placed the card next to the stone.  He drove 1400 miles to Childress to pay his respects to his lover, Jack Twist.  Ennis really struggled with the notion of driving down; didn’t know if he could stand to see where half of his friend’s ashes were interred.

What did Lureen say?  “We put a stone up!”  Ennis didn’t want to intrude on Jack’s widow.  He did the research himself and found the memorial park where half of Jack's cremated body lay buried.

Ennis wrote the little poem himself.  He didn’t know he had it in him, but the occasion was special.  Standing there, looking down at Jack’s headstone, he felt at peace.  The stone read, “Jack Twist, faithful unto death!”  Ennis had to smile at that.  Just as he was turning to leave, a sudden gust of wind rushed around him.  And stranger yet, a drop of dew landed on his cheek.  Ennis smiled as he dabbed at his cheek, his tears mingling with the lone drop of dew.  “I love you too, Jack Twist.”  No other words, no further visits to Childress were necessary.  Ennis climbed into his truck and headed home.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Goodbye, Jack!
« Reply #1879 on: September 09, 2007, 07:04:35 pm »
Oh littlewing  :'( .... I'm speechless .... I really don't know what to say .... I can hardly see the keyboard with all these tears in my eyes!

Beautiful dearest Littlewing .... just beautiful.

Susie 

Thanks, SusieBaby!  I don't even know why I wrote this!  I'm crying like a baby my own damn self!