Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8734259 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17150 on: May 15, 2021, 12:47:52 pm »
We should probably be discussing this on the "How's the weather where you're at?" thread, but last time I checked it was drier than usual here, with fire warnings.

And I think I know what you mean about the yellow stuff, but it's scarce enough here that it's not problem, AFAIK.

You're the lucky one who doesn't have this mess to deal  with.  :laugh:   This is what I see pretty much every morning in spring.

If you're allergic to it, it's always a problem.  :(

I have allergies, but this year they don't seem to be as bad as they've been in the past.   One spring, it was a nice, breezy day, and I opened my bedroom windows to let the fresh air in.  I went into my bedroom a few  hours later, and my dressers were covered in that yellow mess!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17151 on: May 15, 2021, 02:52:54 pm »

Katy, give Sason's posts the response they deserve.   Silence.

I love  you too, Chuckie!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17152 on: May 15, 2021, 06:20:51 pm »
If you're allergic to it, it's always a problem.  :(

Well, people here do have allergies, so I'm sure they're bothered. But I haven't seen it in the quantities you two are describing -- staining plastic chairs, coating windshields. That windshield looks like it's being attacked by bees.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17153 on: May 16, 2021, 07:15:02 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

I hope you're doing well!  ;D

Today was mom's birthday, 78 years old today!  ;D

Because we ordered take out last week for Mother's Day, mom  didn't want to eat out again, so she ended up making some Italian.  She said she was in the mood to cook, so we had our usual Italian.

She and dad are on their "no gifts" kick, as they are contemplating their move and purging, so I got her a birthday card and $30.00 of scratch off lottery tickets.  She ended up winning $50.00!

Laundry is done and put away, and I can relax the rest of the day. 

Checked the weather for the week, and it appears that we'll have sun all week, so I'm thinking I will spend time tomorrow cleaning out the inside and outside of the car.  There's a gas station by me that has coin operated vacuums for the car, so I can get that taken care of. Then, I'll run it through the car wash.

Thursday I'll be meeting my friend, Tina, for lunch.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17154 on: May 16, 2021, 07:25:09 pm »
Well, people here do have allergies, so I'm sure they're bothered. But I haven't seen it in the quantities you two are describing -- staining plastic chairs, coating windshields. That windshield looks like it's being attacked by bees.

Hello Katy.  The image I posted shows what are called catkins.

A catkin or ament is a slim, cylindrical flower cluster (a spike), with inconspicuous or no petals, usually wind-pollinated (anemophilous) but sometimes insect-pollinated (as in Salix). They contain many, usually unisexual flowers, arranged closely along a central stem that is often drooping. They are found in many plant families.

Catkin-bearing plants include many trees or shrubs such as birch, willow, hickory, sweet chestnut, and sweetfern (Comptonia).

In many of these plants, only the male flowers form catkins, and the female flowers are single (hazel, oak), a cone (alder), or other types (mulberry). In other plants (such as poplar), both male and female flowers are borne in catkins.

These catkins are very light-weight, and easily wind-blown.  The issue is that they tend to stick together, so they almost have a snowball effect, two or three will connect and start to blow, and suddenly, there are several hunderd (or more) "rolling" down the street like large snowballs.  They easily clog gutters on homes and the drains in the street.

Here's a pic of a pile made from one front yard.

The amount of pollen they can put out is crazy.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17155 on: May 17, 2021, 10:23:09 am »
I was walking my dog after our conversation and went past a few yards whose sidewalks were scattered with yellow things, including some on the street that would have fallen on the cars. Not enough to look like the windshield you posted or to create a pile like the one in the yard. And I may have at some point in my life seen a car coated with fine yellow powder, but rarely at best.

We have very few hickory and chestnut trees in this state. We do have willows, though more often in parks than in yards. We have a lot of birch, though.

When I passed the sidewalk scattering I tried to identify the nearby trees, but they just looked like generic trees to my untrained eye.  :laugh:

We do have a lot of maples, which scatter seeds that aren't too unpleasant. They look like helicopter blades:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17156 on: May 17, 2021, 04:33:37 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17157 on: May 18, 2021, 05:10:24 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Two days of vacation down, they pass sooo quickly!

The week has been productive so far.  I've been to the gym twice a day,  got some cleaning done around the apartment (nothing major), got the inside and outside of the car cleaned, and today I went out shopping for some new clothes.  I got new undershirts, underwear, socks, some T-shirts, and some new sweatpants.

I'll put them all away soon, and throw out what I can throw out.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17158 on: May 18, 2021, 05:13:43 pm »
We do have a lot of maples, which scatter seeds that aren't too unpleasant. They look like helicopter blades:

Oh yeah, we have those too.  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sonja, I'm not sure if you have those in your area, but if you don't, not only do they look like helicopter blades, but if they catch the wind right, they spin when they fall.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17159 on: May 18, 2021, 09:45:59 pm »

When I was a kid, we used to use them to make funny fake noses, except I could never get it to work right.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.