Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165771 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3230 on: August 25, 2006, 04:15:34 pm »
Allrighty Then!  (in the words of Ace Ventura...)

With the revision and adding of the new chapters 80 through 83, the previous chapters (now headed 84, 85, and 86) have gone through minimal morphing and now appear in proper order with a header noting that they have undergone minor editing changes, as follows

(**NOTE:  This chapter has undergone minor editing changes and revisions with the addition of new chapters 80 through 83)

If you are unsure whether you have the flow of events correctly, things were altered slightly at the end of Chapter 79, entitled "The Dream Come True", by adding three chapters following chapter 79.  You may wish to go back and reread from chapter 78 or 79 or so to get the full gist of events on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  You will recognize (since they are barely changed) chapters 84, 85 and 86.

Because I just wrote chapter 83 which has some getting fancy in it, I can't move on right now to the chapter 87 getting fancy part, so that will have to wait till tomorrow.  I think we all agree however, that demolishing a $30 tuxedo rental was worth it.  At least... I hope so.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3231 on: August 25, 2006, 05:55:27 pm »
No leaving out Heath, no way...  ;)

OH MY GOLLY    YESS    passes out falls to floor

Beautiful mind

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3232 on: August 25, 2006, 06:56:59 pm »
For those who are wondering just how silly I can get... and for those who need a confirmation, please see the following thread links:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4084.msg79235#msg79235  "Alien!Brokeback!"

Completely "In Canon" (and completely tongue in cheek)
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3233 on: August 25, 2006, 11:24:52 pm »
Louise,

I have to admit when I first read the synopsis that Ennis would be taking Ellery to Brokeback Mtn I did have an uneasy feeling. That of sharing what is too sacred to share.  But uneasy feelings aside, I have no intention to put aside the forthcoming volume -- I know you always handle all three of our boys and their feelings very well, so I only look forward to going on the vacation with E&E.

Fred -- what a moving passage you wrote about you and your first and second wives.  What a wonderfully loving and open relationship you must have with them both.  Kudos to you.

Monica

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #3234 on: August 26, 2006, 12:04:30 am »
Louise,

Fred -- what a moving passage you wrote about you and your first and second wives.  What a wonderfully loving and open relationship you must have with them both.  Kudos to you.

Monica

Monica -

Thank you so much for those kind words! As you can tell from what I wrote, what I have to say about finding a new love is not a theory. It's part of my own story. It's how I know that Ennis can love again. As Ennis moves forward in his new life with Ellery, I feel that I'm able to move forward, too. The story of the Laramie Saga is very important to me, again, not as a theory, but as a very personal source of hope and healing.

Kudos and thanks to our dear Louise! Please, everybody keep good thoughts and prayers for her regarding her dental health and her visa renewal. It's our privilege to do this small spiritual thing for one who continues to do so much for all of us.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3235 on: August 26, 2006, 09:25:31 am »
Wow, I woke up after lingering in bed all morning to a flood of LJ comments pro and con about the upcoming story plot.  And I thought Ennis finding a new man would be controversial!! Holy moly!

For those who want to read the latest, mostly from lurker readers who only read the story on Livejournal, there is a rather lengthy exchange (with my responses) at the comments section of chapter 83:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/98713.html

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3236 on: August 26, 2006, 10:27:10 am »
Wow, I woke up after lingering in bed all morning to a flood of LJ comments pro and con about the upcoming story plot.  And I thought Ennis finding a new man would be controversial!! Holy moly!

For those who want to read the latest, mostly from lurker readers who only read the story on Livejournal, there is a rather lengthy exchange (with my responses) at the comments section of chapter 83:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/98713.html

Wow!  What a discussion. I guess I haven't got this sex thing figured out, but I can't see why Ennis and Ellery having sex on Brokeback in any way diminishes the love and memory of Ennis and Jack.  Just the opposite.  I think it would honor the memory and show how sacred Ennis' love of Jack was and is.

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3237 on: August 26, 2006, 10:54:06 am »
"Love is not just a feeling, love takes time.  It does not make sense to talk about being in love for ten minutes. Love involves process and a story.  The story we tell is important to the nature of love itself."  This is quoted from The Passions, a tape from the Teaching Company by Professor Robert C Solomon at the Unversity of Texas at Austin.  Ennis and Jack have one story,  Ennis and Ellery have another. Ennis is not being disloyal the Jack when he tells their story to Ellery.  He is simply telling it like it was and is.  Ennis and Ellery can tell their story to Jack on Brokeback too.  The one story and the other do not negate each other.  They can Strenghten and Deepen the love that exists in each story.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3238 on: August 26, 2006, 11:22:51 am »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/99727.html  "Chapter 87:  Past and Present"

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #3239 on: August 26, 2006, 12:41:10 pm »

When I first learned about Ellery's plan to purchase a paso fino horse so that he could ride with Ennis, I thought, "Wow! Maybe that means he can visit Brokeback Mountain with Ennis." At the time I thought it would be a good thing, maybe even a very good thing.

After reading many comments at the end of chapter 83, especially the ones opposed to Ellery's going with Ennis to Brokeback Mountain, I now believe that it is vital, absolutely essential, for them to go there together.

I trust Louise and her muses to handle the situation exactly rightly. For me that's saying a lot, because it means I'm also trusting a large part of my own emotional well being to the unfolding of this story. To quote our excellent scudder, "As Ennis goes, so I go."
Peace be with y'all,
Fred