Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167471 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3290 on: August 28, 2006, 03:01:37 pm »
David ~ Great to see you here today!  Hope you are feeling well again!  :)

Just needed to see this one again ... *sigh*

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3291 on: August 28, 2006, 03:06:36 pm »
Ryan - just wanted to compliment you on the great artwork!

Louise - yeah, surgery is over!  I hope the pain meds help...  (i'll check in to chat in a wee bit)

Re: LJ comments: isn't there a way to screen comments before they appear?  or is that what you didn't want to do 'cause it felt like censorship?  I think whatever you decide to do is fine... It's like moderators screening the boards, or teachers sending disruptive students to the principal's office.  Regardless, you don't want the ranting and raving distracting from reading the story...
          i agree wholeheartedly.  i answered some of them, and tried to give logic.  then i tried a bit more stridently to give them a clue.  it seemed they were obsessed, and not in a good way.  like the rest of us  tee hee   then i just got nasty.   sorry about that.  but when you are talking to a wall.   there is no way to be heard.  just have to shut it

Beautiful mind

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3292 on: August 28, 2006, 03:21:25 pm »
In those cases, it just seems better not to try.  If someone posts a really nasty comment that has little or nothing to do with the story and a whole lot to do with making trouble, I will simply delete it.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3293 on: August 28, 2006, 04:57:19 pm »
Update to "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/103223.html  "Chapter 5:  A Nice Little Family Lunch"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Quiplash

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm Jack on the outside, Ennis on the inside.
    • as I live a few more questions
« Reply #3294 on: August 28, 2006, 05:43:18 pm »
Louise, you amaze me.  The day after dental surgery and you've completed another three chapters! 

I love the change of venue to Riverton and the interaction between Ennis' daughters. 
--Quiplash.  See all my PhotoShopped Brokeback Mountain fanart creations here

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3295 on: August 28, 2006, 06:44:44 pm »
Louise, you amaze me.  The day after dental surgery and you've completed another three chapters! 

Ditto!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3296 on: August 28, 2006, 07:28:33 pm »

I love the change of venue to Riverton and the interaction between Ennis' daughters. 

Actually the day of.  It's been about 16 hours since I got out of the chair.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3297 on: August 28, 2006, 11:12:31 pm »
Can we cast this young lady...

maybe as Alma Jr's friend? or Ben's wife, or a love interest for Dupree?

Kell .. lovely smile you got there!  :D

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3298 on: August 28, 2006, 11:37:43 pm »
Thanks!  I am hugging my aunt in that picture... it is always easier to smile nicely in pics when you are with people you love, rather than alone, or in other awkward group pics.. anyhow... she calls me KelBel... I always think of her when someone round here calls me Kel.  For the record, Kel is fine, but only my aunt gets to use KelBel, 'kay?

So for some on topic E and E discussion.  I apologize in advance for potentially revealing too much information...

SPOILER

Of course this is regarding Junior and Francie seeing Ellery naked, and seeing Ennis' butt...  I wanted to post on LJ in reply to one commenter... cause he sort of said things like "no one would say that"/"no one would think that"/"everyone would be icked out"...  but I thought perhaps I should post my opinion here, rather than argue over there.  first of all, i only got annoyed with the post, not because the poster expressed his opinion, but because of the tone... that he knew for certain what everyone would/wouldn't do.

Well, I was a few years younger than Junior and Francie when I accidentally caught my dad in a full frontal view, and guess what, I lived to tell about it (without any subsequent therapy!).  It wasn't a big deal!  I was just like "oops, sorry" and turned around and walked out... and hence proceeded to ask if it was okay for me to go in their bedroom rather than just barging in and assuming everyone would be decent.  growing up, I was more uncomfortable when my mom would have to help me do something (fasten a clasp, zip up a dress, share her curling iron, etc.) and I'd have to see her in her bra and underwear than I ever was with that momentary oops with my dad.  maybe that makes me a freak, but I don't really think so.  (though i'm sure someone could infer some Freudian things)  and I suppose if I ever caught my parents having sex, I'd have been embarrassed, but I certainly don't think I'd have been 'icked' out...

I thought the scene with Junior and Francie was handled quite well. 

and that my dears, is my 2 cents on the issue, apologies if I have 'icked' anyone out.
(and please no one tell my parents that I shared these silly stories with y'all.)

(edited to add spoiler warning)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:41:32 pm by notBastet »
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #3299 on: August 29, 2006, 03:40:29 am »
Attitudes to nudity within the family home vary. For some it is no big deal for others it's a big no no.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great