Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167563 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3420 on: September 03, 2006, 12:19:56 pm »
This is such a great post, pasterfred, I totally agree with everything you said; it's always been a mystery to me that some people thought Jack could do no wrong while Ennis was to blame for everything that went wrong between them.  May I request that you post this on the LJ as well?

Thanks for the request! I posted the same thing to the lj.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3421 on: September 03, 2006, 12:20:25 pm »
Take a deep breath everyone.     We must not forget that Jack was a dreamer, an optimist.

Could they have have had a sweet life together had they reunited before each got married?    Maybe.   But maybe not.   All the reasons Ellery stated are very true.  

Would LD have given Jack money to get lost?    It is very possible.   Alot of money?  Maybe not.   But enough for Jack to go north to get an apartment and find a job?  Sure.

Would things have been complicated if Jack and Ennis divorced both their wives?    Hell yes.

I see nothing wrong with Ellerys statement to Ennis.   If anything, it helps reduce some of Ennis's guilt that things would have been perfect had he stayed with Jack after Brokeback.

People make choices everyday that effect their lives.   The trouble is that we don't know after the fact if they were the right ones or not sometimes.

We all question decisions we have made in the past.  But we still dont know where tomorrows decisions will lead us.   Pro or con.

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3422 on: September 03, 2006, 12:25:18 pm »
Pastorfred,

I guess the main reason for my confusion is that all that Ellery's said to Ennis has never been said before and made a deep impression on me. I've been thinking on it ever since I read the chapter a few hours ago and I tend to agree with all Ellery's said.

Yep, I agree, Jack drove away, could have driven back to Ennis. Ennis walked away but could have decided to get into that truck with Jack.

Any yes, I am SO sick to death of Ennis always being tortured and blamed for everything that went wrong in their lives. There simply is no bad!Ennis and good!Jack.

Thank you for posting this.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3423 on: September 03, 2006, 12:32:12 pm »
well, stay tuned for another heart wrenching chapter, should be ready in the next hour.

June, if it gets to be too tough I'll try to write another parody for you tonight afterward!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3424 on: September 03, 2006, 12:40:57 pm »
well, stay tuned for another heart wrenching chapter, should be ready in the next hour.

June, if it gets to be too tough I'll try to write another parody for you tonight afterward!!!
Aww Louise *hugs* you are too sweet! A Modern Way or Some Sweet Life parody?? *grin*
I loved the If Anyone Can Show Just Cause one!!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3425 on: September 03, 2006, 12:49:58 pm »
I'll see what I can do.  writing these emotional chapters takes a  lot out of me!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3426 on: September 03, 2006, 12:56:58 pm »
I'll see what I can do.  writing these emotional chapters takes a  lot out of me!
Oh Louise, now I feel bad  >:(
I can only imagine how tough they must be to write...so please don't force yourself to write anything you're not up to especially for me!

:-*

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3427 on: September 03, 2006, 01:07:47 pm »
This is such a great post, pasterfred, I totally agree with everything you said; it's always been a mystery to me that some people thought Jack could do no wrong while Ennis was to blame for everything that went wrong between them.  May I request that you post this on the LJ as well?
in
                                                                                                                                                                in my opinion people tend to see jack as never having faults.  he admitted to ennis he had been to mexico.  we know about randall.  and how many others were there when he wasnt rollin his own were there.  he was only faithful to ennis until after ennis got a divorce even after the reunion.  he was not one to sit around and wait.  as he said he couldnt make it on just a couple of high altitude fucks a year..he told ennis he was not like him ennis was doing that until he had basically figured out that jack was not staying true....jack was a sweet endearing and beautiful man.  he was very outgoing and charismatic.  he was a traveling salesman....dont possibly think he was sitting in that room alone all the time...ennis on the otherhand had only one affair and that was cassie..jack knew all the things that ennis was a nd was not going to do..he had been there enough time.  he chose to accept the statas quo and went with it.  he could have departed at anytime.  he may have been doing that very thing.  according to pa twist.  ma may have know about it as well.  however she felt the compassion for ennis enough to allow him to know what he had meant to jack...that was the end of the story of jack and ennis it died and was buried on that grieving plain....we have to accept that...jack is dead and we loved him even with his faults...we have to love ennis with his faults as well.  forgiveness is supposed to ba a two way street...allow ennis to find a new path.  learning from his past and looking forward to the future with a very wonderfully understanding new man.  he is also no saint, he tends to be rash and drinks a bit too much.  however we love him anyway....so please allow louise to tell that story without all the bitterness of the men with the tire irons

Beautiful mind

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3428 on: September 03, 2006, 01:17:15 pm »
Update to "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/107234.html  "Chapter 17:  Feeling Brokeback"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3429 on: September 03, 2006, 01:28:59 pm »
Morning folks!
Beautiful glorious day in Edmonton today, the sky is blue, the sun is shining, the birds are singing .. well, I can't hear no birds just now, but it's just beauitful  :)

Quip ~ Love the pic of E&E in their suits!

I am off to do some E & E reading! 
Louise ~ Thanks for all the updates!  You do know that you spoil us, right?  No complaints here!  ;)