Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 548720 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #2060 on: July 22, 2007, 07:07:06 am »
Spoiler

in fact... right now!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/229588.html  "The Chesterfield Fortune Chapter 45"

Colson has to calm down a bit! He has no reason to be so jealous. On the other hand, I'm glad Ellery read Esteban the Riot Act. But it is understandable that he feels insecure and jealous about Dupree since he used to be Ellery's partner. Hopefully, they're able to be friends again soon. I know Ellery cares for him.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2061 on: July 22, 2007, 07:48:12 am »

*SPOILER for chapter 45*

Colson is going wild with protectiveness and with everyone else freaking out and frayed over the storm and the big accident and the crime wave, the usual checks (Ellery, Wes, Edna) are not in place.  So his aggression is becoming explosive.

And yes... your mention in the LJ comments points to the real underlying theme:  Esteban's son, as well as jealousy of him as Ellery's close friend and partner for so many years, has Colson seeing red.  And Ellery in his doped up state, hasn't yet realized that his "free floating jealousy" is taking a turn for the ugly.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

« Reply #2062 on: July 22, 2007, 07:54:39 am »
Well, if he continues like that, hanging the phone on Ellery's deputies Wes will end up seeing redder than Colson ever will! LOL
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2063 on: July 22, 2007, 09:06:43 am »
dang Nat, there you are writing my plot before I am!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2064 on: July 22, 2007, 12:30:10 pm »
SPOILERS

Another chapter already!  Looks like you did get a good night's sleep, Louise.   :) 

I really appreciate how you always let these characters be themselves and that you never try to tone things down in an attempt to make someone appear reasonable or fair.  These are real human beings and this is how real human beings sometimes act when they are worried, scared, stressed, jealous, resentful, etc.  Yep, Colson's out of line (I had to laugh at Sergio walking right into the bedroom and then making that comment - he likes to live dangerously, huh?) and so is Esteban.  His jealousy of Dupree is understandable, but it was disappointing to hear him come right out and tell Ellery that he didn't believe him.  Get that guy to his AA meeting.

I always thought our kind were the next stage a evolution, Esteban.    - :laugh:  Couldn't love Ellery more.

I'm guessing Fearless Leader will be turning into Ferocious Leader soon. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2066 on: July 23, 2007, 06:36:57 pm »
SPOILERS

The fast-paced dialogue was priceless.  Now they're all getting punch-drunk too. 

Nicky sure does know his man, because if Jeremy has anything to say about it, he's not going to be separated from Mr. Deputy Legs.   Interesting that Jeremy is going to see Dr. Sampson in his official capacity....and doesn't it figure that the Rawhide contingent is descending on the sheriff's department just in time for all the press that's about to show up. 

“Let’s go back in an sit down, Fred,” Wes said, blushing slightly. “There’s stuff out there you don’t need ta know.” 

Now, there's an understatement.  And considering the convoluted ties between Jeremy, Nick, Jeeves, Lance and Ray, I can't help but wonder how Lance's terrible ordeal and Ray's arrest will affect all of them....  and there's still the accident investigation, and the rape investigation and ..... my head's spinning.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2067 on: July 24, 2007, 04:51:48 pm »
hm, it appears LJ is down.

So without further ados here is chapter 47 of "The Chesterfield Fortune". I will post later on LJ.

“These students – they had clinic duties at various places?”

“Oh yes,”  nodded the assistant registrar, who smiled engagingly at Esteban long enough for him to return the expression with a shy glance.

“Can you tell me which clinics there were, for these students?  That we are investigating.”

The smile faded.  “These are registration records,” said the woman, shaking a bobbed head full of bright orange curls, and she pulled a folder back toward her on the desk.

“Yes, I understand.  We are investigating the assaults of these... student nurses.”

“You’ll need ta get permission,” she said, her voice hushing.  “An the registrar ain’t here at the moment.  Do you have... a – a – a warrant or something?”

He blinked at her.  “These are the victims’ records, Miss –“

“Bradford,” she said.  “Laura.”  The ghost of a smile returned briefly before it flickered off.  “Yes well the information is... well it’s confidential.”

“How can it be confidential?  They drive to the clinic and see patients, so anyone can find out where they are at a given time, isn’t that so?”  Esteban was aggravated, unable to believe that a student assistant in the registrar’s office was arguing with him about innocuous information.

“It is !  See?”  she pointed to the strip on the edge of the folder – “Office of the Registrar:  Confidential.”

“You think that is meant to keep vital information from being reviewed by the Sheriff’s department on official business trying to serve and protect these students who have been brutally assaulted?”  his voice edged up.

Laura Bradford frowned, discomfited.  “Ya know, some big-wig long haired detective showed up here one time and charmed his way right through the door durin the summer term when that boy was shot dead and I ended up gettin a warnin for not talkin to the Registrar about it before he copied things.  Everythin ya copy has ta go through Pearl Mason.”

Suddenly Esteban put two and two together.  “Bradford...do you have a relative working for the Sheriff’s department?”

Another ghost of a smile as he changed the subject.  She nodded.  “Oh yeah, my Daddy, but he was up Clifton, even though we lived in town here.  He got a job workin for Perry’s when that outfit opened up here.  Why – you know em?”

“I just heard of him doing some security in Tourmaline.”

“Oh yeah he’s watchin the queer boys dance.  The other guys in the company just don’t let it rest.  He got in a fistfight about it once down at the Carousel,” she said.  Now Esteban understood why Laura was so reluctant to have Esteban look in the files: once she started giving out information, she didn’t quite know when to stop.

“Well bein a policeman’s daughter you ought ta know that when it’s the victim’s records, because they aren’t bein charged with a crime an there is nothing private about the information then it is all right to share with the police.  It isn’t like hospital treatment or anything like that they might not want anyone to know.”

She frowned again.  “That skinny detective put you up to this?  What’s his name again?”

“Chief Deputy Cantrell.  You’ve met him I take it.”

She nodded, her smile resuming where it left off.  “He’s a real charmin man.  Couldn’t say no ta him.”

“Really?”

“Nope, not in the least.”

“Do you mind if I use your phone for an official call?”

“Oh sure, no problem,” she said cheerfully, and set the desk set on the counter in front of him.  Esteban dialed the number quickly.

“Don’t hang up Mr. Grey – this is very urgent, and will only take a minute.”  He paused, giving Laura Bradford an encouraging smile.  “I need to talk to the Chief again for just one minute, I promise.” 

The woman’s eyes lighted up as Esteban talked to Ellery.  “Yeah I told her but she thinks it’s confidential and such, would you tell her?”  He handed the receiver to Laura and stepped back.

“Hello?” she said, voice wavering slightly.

“Listen, this is Chief Deputy Cantrell, an I got woken up sick in bed,” Ellery said.  “I understand you are concerned about givin out personal information on the victims a these heinous crimes.  Did you know we finally got a description an we are tryin ta piece together a profile a the perpetrator ta bring em to justice, don’t you?  Laura, right?”

“Yeah,” she said, voice dropping, and a blush crept across her face.”

“You were real helpful last time in helpin me find William Wilkes’ killer.  An that has not gone unnoticed, Laura.  The Sheriff himself is real proud a citizens helpin out when there are criminals on the loose.”

“Yeah, I guess.... and yer the Chief deputy a the whole county huh?”

“You bet.  Esteban there was my partner for many years an I sent em up ta see you helpful folks at the Registrar’s office because I knew he could find what he was lookin for.”

“Damn.  So I guess I better do that huh?”

“That rapist could be hightailin it ta Albuquerque or Phoenix as we speak, an one a yer fellow students is lyin in Memorial Hospital afraid ta open the window blind cause a him.”

“A course.  Look I’m real sorry, Mr. – er, Chief, Cantrell.  I’ll see what I can do, but you promise you ain’t gonna tell Mrs. Mason I let yer partner copy stuff?  She gets real ornery about that.”

“I am the soul a discretion Laura.  Don’t you worry about that.”

“All right.”  The blush had caught her forehead and Esteban looked on in fascinated surprise.

On Ellery’s instruction, Laura handed the phone back to Esteban.

“Shouldn’t have no problems now, Lorenzo, get in, get out, find them patients.”

“Ellery...” Esteban started, then glanced up to the glowing expression on Laura Bradford’s face.

“What?”

“Um... never mind.  We got ta talk sometime about that.”

Ellery laughed softly.  “Ya mean about women?”

“Yeah, about that.”

“They always want what they can’t get, Esteban.  It works great with married men too.”

“Not that I can see,” Esteban said.  “Thanks again Chief.”

“Don’t mention it, an don’t call again.  Colson is in a murderin frame a mind.”

“Will do.”

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:01:32 pm by louise van hine »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2068 on: July 24, 2007, 05:26:13 pm »
Great chapter, Lou...Ellery is just TOO MUCH! LOL...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2069 on: July 24, 2007, 06:59:22 pm »
.....Ellery is just TOO MUCH! LOL...

L

Amen!  Even pumped full of drugs and flat on his back, he can accomplish more than anyone else in the department! 

Terrific, Louise - thanks!
Marie