Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8737092 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16940 on: January 29, 2021, 10:03:52 pm »
I've seen cloth masks for sale in only two stores so far. One was Target, which had only two sizes. Neither fit (I tried them both).

... Until now, I've had only one cloth mask that fit, and that was luck. It was included as a surprise in the package for something I bought on eBay.

Hunh. I've never had a problem with that. Either I have a more common face shape or my standards for fit aren't as high as yours.

One day last summer I was meeting a friend for lunch in the park of a cute little day-trip lakeside town with lots of boutiques. I asked a group of people from the area on Facebook where I might buy a mask in this town, and I got a bunch of suggestions, then realized all the addresses were on the same few blocks of the town's main street.

I literally went door to door looking at the collections until I found a couple I liked, both tie-dyed but in very different colors and patterns. My standard wasn't fit, but cuteness.

The ear-holders are stretchy, the bands the top and the bottom are stretchy. They wouldn't work for an ICU nurse, obviously, but for casual grocery-store trips they seem fine. Although the one I've worn most often (the cuter one) has shrunk somewhat in the wash and actually now doesn't fit as well, as it tends to ride up my chin.

Time for another boutique run, I guess.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16941 on: January 29, 2021, 10:55:07 pm »
Hunh. I've never had a problem with that. Either I have a more common face shape or my standards for fit aren't as high as yours.

I literally went door to door looking at the collections until I found a couple I liked, both tie-dyed but in very different colors and patterns. My standard wasn't fit, but cuteness.

My standard for fit is that it stays in place if I move my mouth.

The larger size from Target wouldn't stay up because it was too large, and I couldn't do anything with the strings to tighten it. The smaller size was so tight that it would pop out of place if I opened my mouth.

It helps if the mask has a strip of metal embedded in the top that you can adjust to fit tight to the bridge of your nose.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16942 on: January 30, 2021, 11:19:54 am »

The larger size from Target wouldn't stay up because it was too large, and I couldn't do anything with the strings to tighten it. The smaller size was so tight that it would pop out of place if I opened my mouth.

It helps if the mask has a strip of metal embedded in the top that you can adjust to fit tight to the bridge of your nose.

The metal strip does look like it would help. But I think the stretchy ear loops may work better than strings. I've conducted long interviews wearing mine, so obviously moving my mouth a lot, and never had a problem.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16943 on: January 30, 2021, 12:17:26 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

The calm before the storm is here.  We have bright blue skies. 

However, starting Sunday night, about midnight, we're supposed to get a snowstorm.

Of course, no one can agree on what's going to happen.  We have a few predictions that say start Sunday, done by Monday mid-morning, and have 4 to 6 inches.   Others say start Sunday,  done by Tuesday, mid-morning, and we may have 8 to 12 inches of snow.

I guess we can only wait and see.

Thankfully, I was paid yesterday, and had scheduled a grocery pick-up, so I'm stocked, and the car has a full take of gas, if needed.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16944 on: January 30, 2021, 12:19:39 pm »
You can rush all  you want, but still the shower curtain will be at your place while I'll be in Antarctis, known for it's lack of scary shower curtains.

I think you misunderstood my joke, or I wasn't clear.   You said:

*considers emigrating to Antarctis*

I replied with:

Hmmm, perhaps when I order them, I'll ask for a rush delivery.

The implication was I wanted it to arrive quickly, to cause you to move further away quicker.  ;)  :-*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16945 on: January 30, 2021, 12:38:24 pm »
I haven't recieved any masks from my employer, but I did get my first vaccination this week.

Not that I'm in a priority group or anything, but my workplace is responsible for vaccinating patients and staff in the nursing homes in our area. And sometimes they have doses left over when everyone on the list that day have had their shot. And they don't keep, so better use them for us than let them go to waste.

Since I got my first one, I'll also get the second one in four weeks. I'm very happy I was so lucky to get it.

Wonderful news, Sonja!   I'm glad you got the vaccine!!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16946 on: January 30, 2021, 12:46:25 pm »
Today I found a padded envelope from my employer in my mailbox. It turned out to be a cloth mask with the company logo on it. There was also a card, the size a business card, with the message, "You are essential. Stay safe."

And the mask fits!

That's funny -- now that I think of it -- I didn't get anything like that from my employer. And we're out mingling with the public!

I did, however, get one from my financial advisor.  :-\ :laugh:

I've seen cloth masks for sale in only two stores so far. One was Target, which had only two sizes. Neither fit (I tried them both). The pharmacy in the supermarket where my dad shops also has masks, but the same issue obtains; you won't know if they'll fit unless you buy them.

Of course there are thousands upon thousands listed on the Internet, and even on websites for individual stores, such as Walmart, but it always seems to be the same deal, you won't know if they'll fit unless you buy them and try them.

My dad and I both have been using disposable masks. They at least have elastic bands, so that they fit or can be made to fit. After developments this week, I've started wearing two of them at a time.

Until now, I've had only one cloth mask that fit, and that was luck. It was included as a surprise in the package for something I bought on eBay.

One day last summer I was meeting a friend for lunch in the park of a cute little day-trip lakeside town with lots of boutiques. I asked a group of people from the area on Facebook where I might buy a mask in this town, and I got a bunch of suggestions, then realized all the addresses were on the same few blocks of the town's main street.

The ear-holders are stretchy, the bands the top and the bottom are stretchy. They wouldn't work for an ICU nurse, obviously, but for casual grocery-store trips they seem fine. Although the one I've worn most often (the cuter one) has shrunk somewhat in the wash and actually now doesn't fit as well, as it tends to ride up my chin.

Time for another boutique run, I guess.

The metal strip does look like it would help. But I think the stretchy ear loops may work better than strings. I've conducted long interviews wearing mine, so obviously moving my mouth a lot, and never had a problem.

When the pandemic had started to spread, I had a friend who was hired temporarily at a company that was supplying businesses with hand sanitizer, disposable masks, and rubber gloves.  He was looking for sales, as he was new to the company, so I bought a box of gloves, a box of masks, and 4 bottles of hand sanitzers.

Since I was barely going out, and when I went out I made it as quickly as possible, I was wearing disposable masks more than once, so the box is still pretty full.   I would take it off, put it on the counter, and lightly spray both sides with Lysol, and let it sit. 

Since I generally wasn't going out again right away, the mask could sit with the Lysol on it, and when I needed to back out a day or two later, the mask was ready.

I've seen cloth masks in various stores, but I've never bought them.

I had been only wearing one mask at a time, but since I tested positive for CV-19, I've been wearing two.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16947 on: January 30, 2021, 03:50:48 pm »
So thankful I do not have to worry about all this. Reading your comments, I wondered what I had done with the disposable face mask I bought about 6 months ago but have never worn. I checked the car glove box but found it in one of the compartments of my hiking backpack. For about 2 or 3 weeks last September(?) it was compulsory to wear them on public transport but I just drove to the city for that period. I do carry a small hand sanitiser bottle in my pocket but rarely use it now. I bought a large bottle for refilling probably last April and it is on my bathroom shelf but have only refilled the pocket bottle once.
We had a scare last week when 2 returnees were allowed to leave managed isolation and then tested positive. They think there was poor procedures in that hotel and there are ongoing investigations.  There was a lot of testing but way up the top of the North Island so nearly 1500km away.  It seems they did not spread it to anyone even their close contacts so all good.
However, because we have no community transmission, it is unlikely we will get the vaccine for several months.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16948 on: January 30, 2021, 05:27:53 pm »

I really didn't know what to call the loop-things that go around the ears, so I called them "strings." The only masks that have been working for me are disposable medical masks. The have stretchy-elastic ear loops.

I tried wearing two when I went to the supermarket yesterday. It didn't work out, so I ended up just using one mask. I also wear disposable gloves when I go grocery shopping.

I like Chuck's idea of using Lysol. I'll have to get a can and try it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16949 on: January 30, 2021, 08:16:19 pm »
Yes, that's why I haven't been visiting!  :laugh:

Will your next shower curtain have a scene from "The Shining?"
"chewing gum and duct tape"