Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8735773 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16980 on: February 06, 2021, 01:43:10 pm »
Are you just joking about blowing, or is "blowing driveways" some actual term for something? Must I go to Urban Dictionary and discover some practice I never even knew existed? That has happened to me more than once at Urban Dictionary.

:laugh:

The one I need to research is "thirst trap." In a general way I can tell what it means from how I've seen it used, but it's only been about a month since I've started seeing it.

I still don't know how to use "woke" in a sentence.  :laugh:

I'm beginning to think people are using it to mean different things--like, a word you use when you can't think of a better way to say something.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16981 on: February 06, 2021, 01:53:58 pm »
The one I need to research is "thirst trap." In a general way I can tell what it means from how I've seen it used, but it's only been about a month since I've started seeing it.

From urban dictionary:

A sexy photograph or flirty message posted on social media for the intent of causing others to publicly profess their attraction. This is done not to actually respond or satisfy any of this attraction, but to feed the posters ego or need for attention, at the expense of the time, reputation and sexual frustration of those who view the image or reply.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16982 on: February 06, 2021, 03:36:16 pm »
From urban dictionary:

A sexy photograph or flirty message posted on social media for the intent of causing others to publicly profess their attraction. This is done not to actually respond or satisfy any of this attraction, but to feed the posters ego or need for attention, at the expense of the time, reputation and sexual frustration of those who view the image or reply.

That's more or less what I figured. Kind of sad, isn't it?

Who comes up with these things, anyway? Somebody with too much spare time?   :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16983 on: February 06, 2021, 03:58:17 pm »
   Review time is here, and I'm getting a raise and a bonus.  I'm happy about that.

However, I was also told that I was getting a promotion (along with others on my level) and I was being made into an AVP (Assistant Vice President).

So I asked "Ok, so are my authority levels changing?"

"No"

"Ok, so are my job duties changing?"

"No"

"Ok, so, is my salary changing?"

"No".

"Ok, so it's really just a title change, and not a promotion."

::)

I wasn't angry at my supervisor, I know this decision was made by people higher up than her, but why call it a promotion?  Just call it what it is.....a title change.
I am a bit confused, you say you are getting a raise but then your salary is not changing. To me that is contradictory

We always know it is an American company when they talk about Presidents and Vice Presidents.  We say General Manager, Assistant Manager, Section (or Department) Manager etc.
In schools it is Principal, Deputy or Assistant Principal. (years ago it was Vice Principal but kids made too much fun of that term) then Head of Department.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16984 on: February 06, 2021, 05:54:45 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Welcome to the weekend!

:)

I usually do laundry on Sundays, but I did mine today (Saturday) as my area is predicted to get another 4 - 8 inches of snow on Sunday, and I don't want to be toting a bag of laundry and driving around in bad weather.

So,  laundry was done today.

I have nothing that needs to be done tomorrow, so I can spend the day relaxing and enjoy watching the snow fall.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16985 on: February 06, 2021, 06:03:21 pm »
I am a bit confused, you say you are getting a raise but then your salary is not changing. To me that is contradictory

We always know it is an American company when they talk about Presidents and Vice Presidents.  We say General Manager, Assistant Manager, Section (or Department) Manager etc.
In schools it is Principal, Deputy or Assistant Principal. (years ago it was Vice Principal but kids made too much fun of that term) then Head of Department.

Hello Brian,

The raise that I am getting this month is known here as an "annual merit increase", meaning that at the time of your yearly review, if you've done your job well, you are eligible for an increase to your hourly rate.  If you have not performed up to standards, or excelled past the standards, you may not be given a raise.

Usually, if you receive a promotion, you receive a new title, you have a change in your job duties/requirements, and you get an additional increase in pay to reflect this.   So when I was contacted I was told I was getting a promotion.  However, there would be no change in my duties or responsibilities, and there would be no additional increase in pay.   So basically, they are just giving me a new title.

If I had been given a true promotion, I would've received my annual merit increase, and then been given an additional increase in salary to go along with my new title.

Chuck, congrats on the good review, raise and bonus!  And the title bump  ;)

Thanks Nancy!  The bonus will come in handy!

Well, at least you got a raise, so the promotion does come with increased pay even if that's not why you got the raise. But also, I think there's some value in the title change if the new title sounds more "important" than the previous one. AVP sounds pretty impressive to me.

My son went to a college in LA and was able to go really inexpensively because my income was low at the time and the school gave him a lot of "need based" financial aid. When he graduated, he had good enough grades that they redefined all of his financial aid as a merit-based Mary Pickford Scholarship. (Yes, it's LA, where the closest airport is named after Bob Hope.)

He didn't get any more money, but the scholarship looks better on a resume.

Hello Katy.   I may feel differently about it if I felt like the title change meant something.  To  me, it seems like the titles are handed out arbitrarily to employees, and there is no true status with it, so I don't see the point.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16986 on: February 06, 2021, 06:27:50 pm »
I still don't know how to use "woke" in a sentence.  :laugh:

I'm beginning to think people are using it to mean different things--like, a word you use when you can't think of a better way to say something.

I hate "thirst trap," both the term and the thing. A friend on FB -- someone I met through FB writers' networks but don't really know and have never met IRL -- has been posting daily pictures of herself in bikinis or tight-fitting pants in positions I guess are supposed to look sexy. I always wonder what she is trying to accomplish. I think a few years ago her posts were about her mental health issues, so maybe these are related to that.

You do know basically what "woke" means, right? Aware of and knowledgeable about racism, white privilege and other identity-based social-justice issues. But it's been around for so long I think people are now stretching its use, sometimes to the point of irony.

Who comes up with these things, anyway? Somebody with too much spare time?   :laugh:

I don't think it's all the same person.  :laugh:  But they must start with one or two people, and what I want to know is, how do they get everyone else to use it? My high-school friends and I using "chump" as a verb meaning back out on a plan at the last minute or not show up. But I don't think it really caught on beyond our immediate circle.

And what makes them last a long time or not? "Cool" has been cool for many, many decades and still sounds OK, but nobody says "groovy" except ironically. A few years ago, "on fleek" lasted about two minutes.

I think even my millennial sons say cool occasionally. But they also say sick, tight, bomb, fire and probably a few other things to meant the same thing. (It's possible "bomb" applies specifically to food.)

Here's an article that purports to explain how it works. But it doesn't really say how words move from one person or group to others.

http://slate.com/human-interest/2014/05/mean-girls-slang-fetch-10-years-later-why-it-didn-t-catch-on-according-to-predicting-new-words-by-linguist-allan-metcalf.html#:~:text=Regina%20George%3A%20Gretchen%2C%20stop%20trying,the%20out%2Dof%2Dtouch.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16987 on: February 06, 2021, 07:11:00 pm »
I may feel differently about it if I felt like the title change meant something.  To  me, it seems like the titles are handed out arbitrarily to employees, and there is no true status with it, so I don't see the point.

Within the company, I see your point. But if I didn't know you and you introduced yourself as "Hi, I'm Cellar Dweller, Assistant Vice President of First National Bank," I'd be impressed.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #16988 on: February 06, 2021, 08:43:03 pm »
Thanks. I've seen the Brady Bunch configuration on Zoom, but on Teams it's been only one full screen at a time. Maybe everybody turns their cameras off when someone else is talking, sort of like yielding the floor?

we just always log into meetings with cameras off, it's just audio.  I always have my laptop closed anyway, I use a big monitor, so I'd have to keep it open all the time to use the camera...and keep taking the paper off the camera, then taping it back on  ;D
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

« Reply #16989 on: February 06, 2021, 08:45:25 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Welcome to the weekend!

:)

I usually do laundry on Sundays, but I did mine today (Saturday) as my area is predicted to get another 4 - 8 inches of snow on Sunday, and I don't want to be toting a bag of laundry and driving around in bad weather.

So,  laundry was done today.

I have nothing that needs to be done tomorrow, so I can spend the day relaxing and enjoy watching the snow fall.
Hi Chuck, glad you got all your stuff done and can settle in tomorrow.  Got enough food, I assume.  I did a big grocery pick up yesterday so I'm good for a while...not that it's going to snow in Austin  :)   Are you going to watch the SB?
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."