Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8734618 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16990 on: February 07, 2021, 12:26:45 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

It's a snowy Sunday here in NJ!  I've posted pics in the weather thread, you can see them here.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,45845.msg711871.html#msg711871

Super Bowl today, but no plans to even watch the game.  LOL  I'm hoping that with the weather as it is here, people will stay home, and that we won't see a spike in Covid numbers because of people going to Super Bowl parties.   Even though I am not a football fan, I usually go to a Super Bowl party just to hang out with friends, but not this year.

::)

I will be spending the day at home,  relaxing and maybe getting some things done around the apartment.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16991 on: February 07, 2021, 12:27:56 pm »
Hi Chuck, glad you got all your stuff done and can settle in tomorrow.  Got enough food, I assume.  I did a big grocery pick up yesterday so I'm good for a while...not that it's going to snow in Austin  :)   Are you going to watch the SB?

Hello Nancy,

Yes, the cupboards and fridge/freezer are stocked and I'm good to go.

Not really into football and most likely won't be watching the game.  I just plan on relaxing today.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16992 on: February 07, 2021, 02:03:19 pm »
I just did a mad-dash cleaning around the apartment.   I noticed that the heater in the apartment was not turning on.  I checked it out, and the thermostat was blank, no digital display showing the temperature.  I thought perhaps the maintenance man would have to come.

I called the super after I had finished cleaning, and he told me that usually means the batteries are dead,  and to just replace them, if I had them.  The face of the unit pulls off easily.

Thankfully, I had batteries in the apartment, and now it's working again, and as a side bonus, the apartment is clean.

:laugh:

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16993 on: February 07, 2021, 03:15:24 pm »
It pays to be prepared - glad you had batteries!  Not a weekend to be without heat.

I'm going to watch the SB until the train wreck that is 90 Day comes on.   ::)
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16994 on: February 07, 2021, 04:47:05 pm »
Super Bowl today, but no plans to even watch the game.  LOL  I'm hoping that with the weather as it is here, people will stay home, and that we won't see a spike in Covid numbers because of people going to Super Bowl parties.   Even though I am not a football fan, I usually go to a Super Bowl party just to hang out with friends, but not this year.

I was thinking about ordering a pizza today, because I'm hungry for pizza, and then I thought, Oh, wait. Maybe not such a good day to order a pizza (because I expect those places get overwhelmed on Super Bowl Sunday, even if people can't, or shouldn't, or won't have parties this year).

I once did some grocery shopping on Superbowl Sunday. Big mistake. Never again.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16995 on: February 07, 2021, 05:04:36 pm »
I just did a mad-dash cleaning around the apartment.   I noticed that the heater in the apartment was not turning on.  I checked it out, and the thermostat was blank, no digital display showing the temperature.  I thought perhaps the maintenance man would have to come.

I called the super after I had finished cleaning, and he told me that usually means the batteries are dead,  and to just replace them, if I had them.  The face of the unit pulls off easily.

Thankfully, I had batteries in the apartment, and now it's working again, and as a side bonus, the apartment is clean.

I had something similar happen recently -- my heat was running higher than the thermostat was set for. Like it was set for 68 but showed the temperature as 74, which seemed accurate because it was hot. I remembered somebody once saying that if something seemed to be acting up you should change the batteries in the thermostat. I did that, and the heat evened out. But then it went bad again. So I set up an appointment to get it looked at. Then it got better again and I canceled the appointment. Now it's kind of on and off. It's not perfect but I'm going to hold tight for now because the repair visit starts at $89 even if they don't do anything.

A local friend posted on FB a couple of days ago that her furnace was completely out. It's like 1 degree here. The repair people couldn't get a replacement part until the following night, so she turned on some space heaters and bundled up. They got it fixed that next night, but I told her I admired her toughness -- I would have been posting from a Super 8.

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16996 on: February 07, 2021, 06:54:29 pm »
Is it snowing, Chuck?

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16997 on: February 07, 2021, 06:59:10 pm »
A local friend posted on FB a couple of days ago that her furnace was completely out. It's like 1 degree here. The repair people couldn't get a replacement part until the following night, so she turned on some space heaters and bundled up. They got it fixed that next night, but I told her I admired her toughness -- I would have been posting from a Super 8.

Not me, I'd be working all night long to make sure the pipes didn't freeze!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16998 on: February 07, 2021, 07:39:24 pm »
Not me, I'd be working all night long to make sure the pipes didn't freeze!

What would you be doing all night long?  ???

Somebody on FB recommended she open any cabinets containing pipes, especially if they are on outside walls. I would also turn the faucets on a slow drizzle.

I suppose even those precautions wouldn't be enough if it got cold enough for long enough. I think she said it was in the 50s in her house, and of course the longer the furnace stayed broken the colder it would get. But wouldn't it have to be below freezing in the house for the pipes to freeze inside the house? Or do I just not get how pipes work?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16999 on: February 07, 2021, 08:26:46 pm »
Is it snowing, Chuck?

It stopped snowing about 4:30 this afternoon.  I went out right away and cleared off the car and shoveled around it, so that's done.