Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8736681 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17040 on: March 15, 2021, 04:19:04 pm »
Wow! If you're looking for a side gig, I've got a house in Minneapolis I'm trying to prepare to sell, which means downsizing and organizing and it feels overwhelming. You always sound so efficient and well-planned. I'm not a hoarder, but after 11 years of living here with two sons, even a relatively normal amount feels like a lot.

It's amazing how much stuff you accumulate, even if you're not a hoarder.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17041 on: March 15, 2021, 05:06:31 pm »

This week marks the start of "Operation Spring Cleaning".   I actually started some of it tonight.

I did two loads of dishes, I've straightened out my laundry, put fresh sheets on the bed, did some organizing in the utility closet, purged some old documents, and wrote out checks for my new lease, car insurance, renter's insurance, car payment, and life insurance.

They will all get mailed first thing tomorrow morning.

the next plan is to make up a list of what I want to get done, and put it into some sort of reasonable order.   My first thought was to clean all the windows, but then I thought that should go last, since I'll then take down the St. Patrick's stuff, and put up the Easter stuff.

So then I thought I should clean the carpets, which will be the biggest job, but then realized it makes no sense to clean the carpets, and then dust all the tchotchkes and shelves, and have the dust fall onto the freshly clean carpets, so I'm back a square one, which means I'm making a list, and then organizing it.

I'm thinking the first thing that should happen is taking all the things off the shelf, dusting all the items and shelves, and then putting them all back.  After that, I can think about moving all the furniture and start the foam cleaning on the carpet.

When you're done with all that, you're welcome here to spring clean my place!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17042 on: March 15, 2021, 06:53:57 pm »

Every time I move I swear I'm never going to acquire another possession again. In recent years, I've even been downsizing a bit by selecting things I already own and giving them as gifts (I mean, only sometimes, and only if they're nice and appropriate, etc.). I also prefer gifts for myself that are consumable items.

I've probably told you this story, but when I was about 20 and living in Sun Valley, ID, I had some apartment-house neighbors -- three California guys in their late 20s -- who told me in the morning they were planning to move, and that afternoon threw all their possessions in a VW bug and a motorcycle and off they went. I've always envied that lightweight lifestyle.

Of course, they a) had a furnished apartment and b) were fleeing a bad drug deal. But still.

[Edited to add my age and location so it doesn't sound like this happened last month.]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:01:48 am by serious crayons »

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17043 on: March 16, 2021, 11:31:42 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Two days into staycation, and I've managed to get a lot done so far.

Wrote out checks
mailed my bills and new lease
picked up supplies
bleached bathtub and mat in tub
bleached sink
bleached toilet
take decorative bottles off cabinets and wash them
dust on top of cabinets
take all stuff off kitchen counters and clean the counters.
move CD shelves out and dust behind them
clean stove
sweep out the kitchen and bathroom

Tomorrow I'll mop the kitchen and bathroom floor, and will start moving furniture to clean behind and under it, and shampoo and freshen the carpet.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17044 on: March 16, 2021, 11:34:30 pm »
Wow! If you're looking for a side gig, I've got a house in Minneapolis I'm trying to prepare to sell, which means downsizing and organizing and it feels overwhelming. You always sound so efficient and well-planned. I'm not a hoarder, but after 11 years of living here with two sons, even a relatively normal amount feels like a lot.

When you're done with all that, you're welcome here to spring clean my place!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Everyone says that when I talk about cleaning!   When I clean my place, and I'm done with it, I'm resting!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17045 on: March 16, 2021, 11:59:55 pm »

Every time I move I swear I'm never going to acquire another possession again. In recent years, I've even been downsizing a bit by selecting things I already own and giving them as gifts (I mean, only sometimes, and only if they're nice and appropriate, etc.). I also prefer gifts for myself that are consumable items.

I've probably told you this story, but when I was about 20 and living in Sun Valley, ID, I had some apartment-house neighbors -- three California guys in their late 20s -- who told me in the morning they were planning to move, and that afternoon threw all their possessions in a VW bug and a motorcycle and off they went. I've always envied that lightweight lifestyle.

Of course, they a) had a furnished apartment and b) were fleeing a bad drug deal. But still.

[Edited to add my age and location so it doesn't sound like this happened last month.]

I actually have a good system for purging my apartment.

I have two tables that look similar to this.

The top opens and you can use it for storage.  I take stuff that I haven't used lately, and put it into the tables.  Then I wait a year.  If the table has been unopened for the year, then I don't need what's in there, and I get rid of it.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17046 on: March 17, 2021, 12:10:41 am »
I, with great care, use bleach in the toilet bowl but would never use it anywhere else. It can be very dangerous.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17047 on: March 17, 2021, 09:50:40 am »
The top opens and you can use it for storage.  I take stuff that I haven't used lately, and put it into the tables.  Then
I wait a year.  If the table has been unopened for the year, then I don't need what's in there, and I get rid of it.

I've heard of that technique. I actually have it happening in an informal way all over my house -- plastic bins in closets and under beds, a filing cabinet, basement storage spaces filled with stuff ... A lot of it is in the form of memorabilia from my kids' childhoods or things inherited from my grandmother (table cloths, dishes, etc. -- I did, as I said, sell the silver). The only thing I use regularly are Christmas and Halloween decorations.

I did, however, pare half a closet full of photos down to four shoe-box size boxes -- except they're cute colorful ones purchased from Amazon -- and a couple of larger colorful ones, also from Amazon, for 8X11s and other bigger things. It meant going through each photo one at a time, sorting them very roughly by when they were taken, setting aside duplicates, etc. So that was a major accomplishment!

The rough time-period categories are: before kids, when the kids were babies, and when the kids were in elementary school. Then they abruptly cut off. Bet you can figure out why.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17048 on: March 17, 2021, 11:14:43 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Back to cleaning.  Time to get the floors mopped.

I, with great care, use bleach in the toilet bowl but would never use it anywhere else. It can be very dangerous.

Hello Brian.  I was using the term "bleached" in a generic way.   I was using a spray cleaner produced by Clorox, a company that is known for making bleach.  The spray cleaner is a combination of a cleaning agent, with some bleach added.

So I wasn't actually using pure bleach on anything.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17049 on: March 17, 2021, 12:08:53 pm »
Hello Brian.  I was using the term "bleached" in a generic way.   I was using a spray cleaner produced by Clorox, a company that is known for making bleach.  The spray cleaner is a combination of a cleaning agent, with some bleach added.

So I wasn't actually using pure bleach on anything.

I've been using Clorox Clean-up for all my household needs for years. That's what I've been using to wipe down my door handle for a year now.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.