Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 541543 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #2010 on: July 08, 2007, 06:50:32 am »
here tis.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/226940.html  "Chesterfield Fortune ch 36."
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #2011 on: July 08, 2007, 07:22:30 am »
Welcome back Jo!!!

Missing nookie action?  Aren't the best things in life worth waiting for? 

Thanks for that Utube though - I had never gone to see "Alexander" mainly because I think Colin Farrell is about as sexy as a balance sheet.  And the nose on that Bagoas character!

anyway, on to the next thrilling chapter of 'The Chesterfield Fortune!' only on Bettermost!

I have to agree with you about Colin Farrell - think of what Heath could have done with the role!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline opinionista

« Reply #2012 on: July 08, 2007, 07:25:09 am »
I guess because I have accepted Jeeves not long after he made his appearance in the book, and I have loved Ellery and Colson for so long, that's why it was disappointing to see them treat Jeeves like that.  I agree the Ellery and Jeeves' comparison is right, I only hope when they understand each other more, they could at least get along.

I think it's not surprising Ellery and Colson treat Jeeves badly. I would too! Jeeves is a good man but he's also incredibly arrogant. At least that the image he conveys of himself with the way he dresses and goes around in the bar drinking expensive champagne as if he were a prince or something. Ellery and Colson are down to earth Americans, both boys from the country. Ellery is a millionaire but he grew up in a ranch. It is natural they can't stand Jeeves, IMO.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2013 on: July 08, 2007, 08:37:28 am »
Ah, Louise, thank you! A Sunday morning breakfast chapter, what a treat...

SPOILER

and great lines like these:

Ellery grinned. “You think after goin back ta Juan Valdez I’m just gonna roll over an drink cat piss again tomorrow? My taste buds ain’t fickle enough for that, better make me cat piss. An thank you, Colson, I do appreciate you puttin up with my foul mood, my bar an my job an not run away shriekin.”

“If you think this is bad you might try bein married to a woman for a while.”

“I’m pretendin I didn’t hear that,” Ellery said. “Hand me the phone before ya go.”

Thanks!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2014 on: July 08, 2007, 08:48:07 am »
I have to agree with you about Colin Farrell - think of what Heath could have done with the role!

the scenes where Farrell is eyeing the dancer, it looks like  he is watching a mosquito that is moving in so he can swat it.  That isn't sexual chemistry, it's bad acting.  And maybe Oliver Stone doesn't know that when a young boy is castrated to become a eunuch, he grows soft, feminine and round, not stick-insect heroin chic.  I think almost anyone from Central Casting would have done better in "Alexander" than Farrell.  I think his acting is wretched.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2015 on: July 08, 2007, 08:53:42 am »
I think it's not surprising Ellery and Colson treat Jeeves badly. I would too! Jeeves is a good man but he's also incredibly arrogant. At least that the image he conveys of himself with the way he dresses and goes around in the bar drinking expensive champagne as if he were a prince or something. Ellery and Colson are down to earth Americans, both boys from the country. Ellery is a millionaire but he grew up in a ranch. It is natural they can't stand Jeeves, IMO.

Yes, he is arrogant.  That is Jeeves' flaw.  He is attractive and well-educated - and he knows it.  He is English, and considers himself culturally superior.  He is multilingual in an area where education levels are low.  Since in his world, he was part of an underclass, he believes he has a certain right to rank on those he considers his inferiors, and that includes most people.  The only ones who really survive Jeeves' cultural elitism are those who manage to rank on him in one way or another, which is to me what male culture is ultimately driven by.  "Taking the piss out of each other" as my British colleagues say.    Sergio takes the piss out of him by constantly reminding him of his age, and that is how he fights back, besides manipulating him with his desirability.  Underneath those social misfit qualities there is someone who is genuinely hurt and bereaved, a man who truly cares about the people he sleeps with, and in the core of his being, believes in order and justice, and is not superficial at all.  But it requires looking closer.

yb

« Reply #2016 on: July 08, 2007, 09:21:56 am »
Underneath those social misfit qualities there is someone who is genuinely hurt and bereaved, a man who truly cares about the people he sleeps with, and in the core of his being, believes in order and justice, and is not superficial at all.  But it requires looking closer.

That's exactly it.  Sergio is in the similar situation, both are foreigner trying to find their way in USA.  Perhaps they can find comfort in each other's company and be able to join in with the others in the community gradually.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #2017 on: July 08, 2007, 09:32:46 am »
That's exactly it.  Sergio is in the similar situation, both are foreigner trying to find their way in USA.  Perhaps they can find comfort in each other's company and be able to join in with the others in the community gradually.

I think Sergio is an American of Spanish (mexican) descent. What they call chicano.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

yb

« Reply #2018 on: July 08, 2007, 09:41:20 am »
I think Sergio is an American of Spanish (mexican) descent. What they call chicano.

Thanks for the clarification, I'm never good on this.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2019 on: July 08, 2007, 10:04:15 am »

Yes, a few chapters back he confessed to Jeeves that he is really from San Antonio (Texas) and that he fakes the Spanish accent and broken English and pretends that he is a "wild Mexican boy" from a small village.  But, as Jeeves noted, they are in a similar situation in regards to the sort of "fake identity" thing and they do seem to have a good understanding of each other. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain