Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2618035 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #1610 on: October 05, 2007, 11:46:32 am »
Wouldn't you just think the police would have more important things to do? As long as these guys aren't going after kids?

I bet this is the kind of thing Rudy Guliani approves of, with his "quality of life" emphasis.  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1611 on: October 05, 2007, 11:49:30 am »
This is beyond horrible.  Will we never get past this bigoted crap?  It's business as usual for the police, and life-ruining for their victims.  This is one area of the law that cries out for reform. 
Ich bin ein Brokie...

moremojo

« Reply #1612 on: October 05, 2007, 11:54:15 am »
Look for more kinds of these entrapment scenarios, especially in conservative areas such as Texas and Virginia, with the demise of the sodomy laws. Homophobic public officials now have to channel their hatred towards such settings as public cruising places to nab the men they despise. And  I believe they're really being nabbed for being gay, or being perceived as gay, more than they are for any alleged offense (again, in my friend's case, he did absolutely nothing wrong, but it didn't matter).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1613 on: October 05, 2007, 12:35:49 pm »
Tell you what, unless I'm forgetting something--which is entirely possible  ;D --forgive me for asking this, but did even that sleazoid Larry Craig do anything more than "indicate interest"?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #1614 on: October 05, 2007, 12:43:34 pm »
I wouldn;t doubt the news outlet is riding on the coattails of Larry craig putting this out there.

I think I am going to have to do something. This is not even my town but it needs to be answered.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #1615 on: October 05, 2007, 12:49:14 pm »
I wouldn;t doubt the news outlet is riding on the coattails of Larry craig putting this out there.

I think I am going to have to do something. This is not even my town but it needs to be answered.
We should all write letters to the editor!  >:(
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1616 on: October 05, 2007, 12:58:05 pm »
A lot of towns publish "police notes" in the local paper, which sometimes consist of the names of people in the community who were arrested in the past week and why.

Even in liberal-minded Provincetown, they continue this practice.  Despite numerous letters of protest, the publisher simply added a disclaimer about the presumption of innocence. 

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #1617 on: October 05, 2007, 01:07:03 pm »
Wouldn't you just think the police would have more important things to do? As long as these guys aren't going after kids?

I bet this is the kind of thing Rudy Guliani approves of, with his "quality of life" emphasis.  >:(

Rudy Giuliani is the only republican candidate that seems to be in favor of gay marriage, so I'm not entirely certain why you think he is opposed to it.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

moremojo

« Reply #1618 on: October 05, 2007, 01:08:53 pm »
Tell you what, unless I'm forgetting something--which is entirely possible  ;D --forgive me for asking this, but did even that sleazoid Larry Craig do anything more than "indicate interest"?
No, he didn't. That's the brutal truth for anyone out to ride Craig out of town on this one. The worst Craig did, as far as I can see, is invade his neighbor's privacy by extending his foot and hand into the next stall, and touching the one man's foot with his (could this be construed as assault?). The fact remains that NO SEX occurred between Craig and the officer--the latter of whom was unquestionably part of a sting operation, and arguably engaging in entrapment.

moremojo

« Reply #1619 on: October 05, 2007, 01:12:30 pm »
Even in liberal-minded Provincetown, they continue this practice.  Despite numerous letters of protest, the publisher simply added a disclaimer about the presumption of innocence.
The problem is, presumption of innocence is a letter of the law maintained only in the courts. There is no presumption of innocence in the wider society (was there ever?); an arrest and charge is as good as a conviction in most people's eyes.