Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2120913 times)

Dagi

Re: I'm Yours
« Reply #3210 on: February 24, 2008, 05:39:50 pm »
I'm Yours by Littlewing1957

It was February 16, and Ennis was rifling through his mail.  He stopped in the post office on the way home from work, just as always.  Ennis didn’t mind waking to the post office to fetch his mail, but thought about arranging for his mail to come to his trailer.  He would have his own mailbox, and everything.  But for now, he needed to make the daily trips to get his mail.  It was just a chore of life.

Ennis didn’t feel up to opening the bills, and stiffened when he saw a letter from a collection agency.  Among the small pile were several adverts from stores in town, and even a letter from Alma thanking him for keeping the girls while she and Monroe went away for a romantic Valentine’s Day celebration.  The last piece of mail looked curious.  There was no return address, and looked like a store bought card of some kind.  Ennis opened it and glared at a cowboy on a bull, waving a lasso.  It was a funny little thing, very strange and silly looking.  Ennis opened the card and read, “BE MINE.”  Ennis chuckled.  The card was unsigned, but he knew who had sent it.

Ennis had to sit down.  The rest of his mail, and everything else, for that matter, would have to wait.  He lay down on his ratty couch and opened the card.  He placed it over his face.  At that very moment Ennis realized that he never before received a Valentine’s Day card. Never got a card from some pretty girl at school who had a crush on him, never received a Valentine's Day card from his girls, or from Alma.  The card was late, of course, but it was of no consequence.  Ennis read the words again, “BE MINE.”  “I’M YOURS” Ennis whispered into the card.  He closed his eyes and wished he could tell Jack that he belonged only to him – would never belong to anyone else.  Ennis fell asleep, a silly card over his face, a smile on his lips.

I love this, Marie. Your heart is so full of love, and so is your writing. All these beautiful moments that you give our boys...mmm I can see Ennis smile.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: I'm Yours
« Reply #3211 on: February 25, 2008, 01:41:42 pm »
I love this, Marie. Your heart is so full of love, and so is your writing. All these beautiful moments that you give our boys...mmm I can see Ennis smile.

Thanks, Babe!

Dagi

Re: No Better than He
« Reply #3212 on: February 25, 2008, 05:07:20 pm »
No Better than He by Littlewing1957

Jack was never once invited to Ennis’ trailer, but he could image the place.  Knowing Ennis, it was bare and bleak.  Jack never knew Ennis to concern himself with decorations or creature comforts.  Jack could see, in his mind’s eyes, a dwelling sparsely furnished with cheap but clean furniture, a calendar on the wall, and perhaps a battery powered clock.  He would be surprised to see throw rugs or an afghan.  Yes, Jack could picture Ennis’ place.  His home, by contrast, was decorated by a high maintenance girly girl.  It was luxurious by Ennis and Jack’s standards.  But with all of the comfort and beauty, Jack’s home lacked warmth.  Jack looked at Ennis as he slept and knew that he would trade everything he owned in Childress for the warmth of a cold trailer in Riverton.

Jack raised Ennis’ calloused right hand and rubbed it gently.  Ennis' hands were often cracked from being out in the cold, tending to livestock.  He had a man’s hands!  They were responsible, no nonsense, unapologetically rough and scraggly.  Jack remembered Ennis complaining that his hands got so dry in the cold that they often bled.  Jack contrasted his hands with his lover’s.  There was really no comparison.  Lureen insisted that Jack get regular manicures, as he represented Newsome Motors.  His hands needed to look good handing contracts to customers.  And his hands didn’t do much more than point to the fine print on a contract, or type in numbers on an adding machine.  Jack held his smooth, shiny hand next to Ennis’ weather-worn one.  He smiled as he imaged his hand caressing, soothing, and healing the other.

Jack pulled Ennis closer.  Ennis didn’t stir.  Jack looked at his lovers features, almost serene in sleep.  Jack thought about Ennis returning in a few days to a job that paid little, but gave him a measure of pride and accomplishment.  Ennis was doing what he liked to do.  Jack didn’t want to, but he thought ahead to the next few days when the Newsome’s would replenish their stock of tractors.  He would be required to work hard in the next few weeks.  It was boring, unsatisfactory work.  Jack hated what he did, but he was paid very well to sell tractors to rude, uncouth ranchers.  “I’m making a lot of money, but I’m no better than you, Ennis!” Jack whispered in his lover’s ear.  Ennis didn’t hear.  “Let me come with you, Cowboy - let me stay!”  Jack was fighting back tears.  Ennis slept on.  Jack pulled Ennis a bit closer and tried to sleep.

This makes my heart ache. What a sad, but precious moment. I love your writing, Marie, have I said that yet?

Jack looked at Ennis as he slept and knew that he would trade everything he owned in Childress for the warmth of a cold trailer in Riverton.
  :(

Dagi

Re: Right 78 by Toycoon
« Reply #3213 on: February 25, 2008, 05:12:53 pm »
Right 78 by Toycoon

There was no doubt, Leroy Tippens was in a lot of pain. It was a toxic combination of alcohol, shame, frustration, humiliation and rejection and it hurt like a bastard. All he could think of is how stupid he felt, laying on the ground in that way among the pieces of the wooden table, the spilled punch and the party snacks. Even the effects of mash whiskey had worn off by now. Leroy's nose was broken by a left hook in front of all the guests at the dance and by a woman, no less. Leroy sat on the hospital bed in his damp, filthy, rented tuxedo and wondered how he came to be in this predicament. His grandpa and grandma would be angry that he was in trouble again. An older, matronly woman with graying hair, the nurse on duty was tending to Leroy's broken nose but there was little she could do for the boy's internal wounds. The nurse gently patted the edge of the gauze bandage, cocked her head, then stood back to admire her work. Leroy was quite a sight with all the bandages on his face and the frosting smeared on his coat. She steadied Leroy's face with her hands and declared, "Well young man, that oughta stay put for the night. The doctor wants to see ya back on Tuesday. No more drinkin' for tonight, ya hear me now." Leroy just nodded his head. The nurse put her hand on his broad shoulder and rubbed it softly, then gathered up her supplies and walked away.

"Nobody gets away with that shit', thought Leroy, rubbing his throbbing head and still thinking of the humiliation he suffered at the party. "Nobody." The pain of the swollen nose was starting to set in. "Especially, a little nobody like Raquel' She ain't got no right ta' slug me like that. Alan! Gimme a sip uh that whiskey!" He glanced over to Alan who had come to offer Leroy, a ride home. Alan had just dropped off his 'date' from the dance and noticed that the light was on at Katie's shop. He told Leroy that he'd overheard Raquel mention that she, Ennis, Jack and Katie were all going to Katie's shop, 'Preen'  to continue the party. Leroy took a big gulp of the whiskey and wiped his mouth. He handed the bottle back to Alan, who took a smaller swig then put it back in his tuxedo pocket. "Ya know what?" blurted out Leroy. "We're gonna go over there ta Katie's shop and continue the party, too! I gotta little unfinished business wit' them!" Alan looked worried. Leroy had a raging temper. Leroy had seen it many times and it scared him. Alan had already said too many personal things that he should have never said about Jack, Ennis and about himself. He was in deep now. "Leroy, the doctor said you shouldn't drink no more, c'mon lemme take you home. I promise to make you feel good, OK?" Alan mopped the beads of sweat forming on his forehead with the sleeve of his jacket.

Leroy lunged at Alan, grabbing him by his shirt collar, yanking him up then shook him violently. "Listen to me you little queer, I'm gonna get that goddamn bitch, Rockie, she'll be sorry! " he hissed. "First, yer gonna drive me by my house to get my gun, then we gonna take a ride over ta that shop." Leroy's eyes glowed with venomous fury. "She's gonna pay for what she done alright!"

Uh-oh, I don´t like this guy. The good thing about being so far behind with reading is that I don´t have to wait for the next one now... ;D Oscar, you are one of my heroes. Marie is the other.

Dagi

Re: Right 79
« Reply #3214 on: February 25, 2008, 05:15:55 pm »
Right 79 By Littlewing1957

"One more thing, John," Mrs. Twist shouted, "Take your gun with you!"

:o right to the next one, tension is building up here...

Dagi

Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #3215 on: February 25, 2008, 05:18:43 pm »
Mornin', everyone.

Well, not sure this is the proper place, but a friend sent me this and I just had to share it with you.

Thanks again.

I THOUGHT I WAS A COWBOY

An old cowboy sat down at the Starbucks and ordered a cup of coffee.
As he sat sipping his coffee, a young woman sat down next to him.

She turned to the cowboy and asked, 'Are you a real cowboy?'

He replied, 'Well, I've spent my whole life breaking colts, working cows,
going to rodeos, fixing fences, pulling calves,bailing hay, doctoring calves,
cleaning my barn, fixing flats, working on tractors, and feeding my dogs,
so I guess I am a cowboy.'

She said, 'I'm a lesbian. I spend my whole day thinking about women.
As soon as I get up in the morning, I think about women.
When I shower, I think about women.
When I watch TV, I think about women.
I even think about women when I eat.
It seems that everything makes me think of women.'

The two sat sipping in silence.

A little while later, a man sat down on the other side
of the old cowboy and asked, 'Are you a real cowboy?'

He replied, 'I always thought I was,
but I just found out that I'm a lesbian.'

PSSSS.

Somehow it made me think of Ennis with a dry sense of humor and the right 'other man' [Jack] sitting down with him only to cough up his coffee.  The logic is impeccable, and could even be worked into a scene in a fanfic someday... maybe... then again maybe not... Hmmm...

:laugh: Did I get that wrong or does he think he is a lesbian because he too is thinking about women all day long?

Dagi

Re: Right (80) by Toycoon
« Reply #3216 on: February 25, 2008, 05:24:05 pm »
Right (80) by Toycoon

"Ennis, can I ask you something?" She sighed and wrapped her tiny hands around the steering wheel. "Do you like me?" she asked, staring straight ahead. "S-sure... I like you," he whispered, unsure. Ennis fumbled around in his tuxedo pocket for a half smoked cigarette from earlier in the evening. He found it and popped into his mouth then used the car's lighter to light it.  He paused before continuing. "I guess I'm just stuck on someone else. We was engaged to be married but she broke it off."

Phew, I thought this is it, now it's out there...but no, Ennis found a way out...and she wants to believe him. Can't wait for the next one!  :D

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Right (80) by Toycoon
« Reply #3217 on: February 25, 2008, 05:45:52 pm »
Phew, I thought this is it, now it's out there...but no, Ennis found a way out...and she wants to believe him. Can't wait for the next one!  :D

Stay tuned!  I should have the next chapter up in a few days, latest!  :)

Dagi

« Reply #3218 on: February 25, 2008, 05:59:26 pm »
Hey Marie!  :D How nice to see you online! Tomorrow I´ll be over at your place!  ;D

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #3219 on: February 25, 2008, 07:06:37 pm »
Hey Marie!  :D How nice to see you online! Tomorrow I´ll be over at your place!  ;D

Come on over, sweets!  We'll be waitin' for you!