Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2159053 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Right 82
« Reply #3240 on: March 01, 2008, 09:34:36 pm »
Hi Dagi,
I'm sorry that this chapter was so gory but it was bound to happen at some point or another. Truth is nothing really changes unless a little blood is shed. I think you'll see a turn in the storyline now. Things can only get better from here on out. You'll see! We hope to return to romantic drama soon.

Yep, Toy, there has to be drama, conflict, or a saga can get boring!  It'll be good to get back to the romance, though!  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Right (81) & (82)
« Reply #3241 on: March 03, 2008, 12:53:42 am »
Evenin', Little, Toy.

Well, Shi-i-it is right! They were all having a right fine time, when Leroy and Alan entered from stage right. Leroy spilled the beans right away. Peggy Ann fell right off Charlie's lap.  Alan finally did the right thing, and got it right in the chest.  Leroy picked up the pistol and held it right in front of his face and got a shotgun blast right to his right side and he fell causing the vase to fall right on him.  And then OMT walked right in. 

Now, when the smoke and confusion clears, nothing else needs to be taken care of, right? Not so fast... there's still what Leroy said and the rest of them heard, and OMT, and the police, and Mrs. T pacing the floor at home, and Ennis and Jack having to talk things through, and ... my head's swimming, things just got more complicated, think I need a pull from the bottle of Old Rose lying on its side right in front of me. 

The Dakotas are looking better and better. Right?

Thanks again. 

Thanks for your comments, cwby30.  I so enjoy reading what you have to say!  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Easter Suits and Cowboy Hats
« Reply #3242 on: March 03, 2008, 12:54:17 am »
What a wonderful way to convey Jack's caring and loving nature. Sweet little piece, thank you Marie.  :)

Dagi

Thanks, Dagi!  :-*

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Right (82) by Toycoon
« Reply #3243 on: March 03, 2008, 12:55:08 am »
:P :P :P So much blood. Wasn't this supposed to be a love story?  :o ;D Hope things are turning in a positive direction for our boys now. Golly Toycoon, you sure know how to build up the tension. Littlewing, hurry up!  :D

Dagi

Hang in there with us, Babe!  There will be plenty of time for romance!  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Everything's Fine
« Reply #3244 on: March 03, 2008, 01:17:56 am »
Everything's Fine by Littlewing1957

Ennis washed a plate and a plastic glass or two in the stream.  Jack was busy yapping away, talking about Lureen typing numbers on an adding machine.  He said something about his wife’s eyes getting smaller and smaller as she punched the numbers in the machine.  He also made some hilarious remark about Lureen looking like she was being chased into a rabbit hole by a predator.  Ennis continued to wash dishes.  He normally hung on Jack’s every word, but he was thinking about a conversation he overheard at the ranch just last week.

Ennis was eating a sandwich at the ranch’s makeshift outdoor “cafeteria” when he heard Jeff and Art talking about a guy they knew who was going through some troubling times.  It seems this guy liked to dress up in women’s dresses and wanted to turn into a woman.  He was arrested for stealing copper wire because he couldn’t find work in Wyoming.  Jeff was almost sympathetic when he told Art how the entire state of Wyoming knew about the unfortunate guy and no one would hire him.  It seems the poor man stole to get himself locked up just so he could get 3 hots and a cot.  Ennis listened to this exchange in horror.  He didn’t cross dress, but what if he was mistaken for being queer?  What if everyone knew?

Ennis looked at Jack.  He wanted to ask his lover if the folks in his town ever suspected.  He was dying to tell Jack that he was afraid that people in Riverton just might think he was queer.  But one look at Jack’s laughing eyes, his sexy stomach paunch and his animated mouth—well, Ennis couldn’t bear to spoil the moment.  “That sounds like high class entertainment, if you ask me!” It was Ennis.  He smiled at Jack when he threw a small pebble into the stream.  “Yeah, for what its worth!” Jack answered.  Ennis finished washing and invited Jack for a walk.  Everything seemed fine. 

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Right 83
« Reply #3245 on: March 04, 2008, 01:46:17 am »
Right 83 by Littlewing1957

Jack was lying, fully clothed, on his small bed.  He just said goodnight to Ennis, who returned to his rightful place: the Twist’s basement “apartment.”  Jack folded his arms over his head and thought back to the events of the past few days.  He couldn’t believe that Leroy and Alan were dead!  The series of events moved through his mind like a blurry slide show.  The first slide featured the small get-together at Katie’s shop in Sepia tones.  Next, Leroy and Alan slithered in and threatened them all with a gun.  And the last slide - Alan actually becoming a hero of sorts – throwing himself in front of Leroy and saving the lives of everyone present.  Jack didn’t want to dwell on Alan’s fate.  It was entirely too painful to think of his ex-friend dying so young, and so tragically.  He had no sympathy at all for Leroy.  He shuddered to think what would have happened if Alan failed to halt that sociopath!  Lightning Flat’s only undertaker would have made a “killing,” preparing so many bodies for burial if Leroy was left to his own devices.  As it happened, only two funerals were planned in town.  Alan will be buried on Friday, and those who loved him will say respects to Leroy the following Monday.  No one was responsible for Leroy's suicide but Leroy.  Jack didn’t think he could attend any of the funerals.

The girls were in a bad state.  Peggy Ann fainted dead away when she saw what happened to Leroy and Alan.  Katie, God bless her, was more concerned about the state of her shop than the deaths of the two troublemakers.  She ran around Preen, inspecting her inventory, while Leroy and Alan breathed their last!  Rocky was in shock and sat silent and motionless until Ennis took her home.  The last Jack heard, Katie was preparing to contact her insurance company about the damages to her shop, and Rocky was on her way to New York City to spend some time with an Aunt.  Jack shivered when he thought of Katie.  He liked her as a friend, but he saw a side of her that made his blood run cold.  He didn’t understand how she could think about material gain, about business, when two men lay dead, almost right in front of her!  Jack hated to admit it, but he wouldn’t care if he never again laid eyes on Katie.  Leroy's baby's mother went into premature labor when she heard about the accident.  As it turned out, both mother and daughter were doing well.  Jack smiled when he thought about his pa.  He was quite attentive to every one present.  Mr. Twist helped comfort the women, called the authorities to come collect the bodies, and just took charge while everyone else seemed comatose!  He was the first person the sheriff spoke to when they all had to give an accounting of the events.  Mr. Twist didn’t know all the facts, but he related what he did see to Sheriff Graham.  Mr. Twist was awesome that night!  Jack couldn’t believe it, but he was actually proud of his old man!  He was also grateful to his dad for agreeing to allow Ennis to return to the ranch.  “Well, we got us a barn to build,” Mr. Twist replied when Jack thanked him profusely.

Jack allowed the “slide show” to end just when he heard a tapping at his door.  “Son, you asleep?” It was Mrs. Twist.  “No, ma, come on in.”  Mrs. Twist entered her son’s room with a tray.  She fixed him some hot milk and included a few peanut butter cookies.  Jack sat upright on his bed and reached for the glass of milk.  “Ma, you didn’t have to go to the trouble,” Jack began, as he took a sip of the warm milk.  “I wanted to do it, Baby!” Mrs. Twist spoke softly as she placed the tray down on Jack’s desk.  “You lived through an awful ordeal, and I would be a bad mother if I didn’t do everything I could to make you comfortable.”  Jack’s mom caressed his hair.  “How you holdin’ up?”  Jack was silent as he thought about Leroy’s last words.  He was grateful that in the confusion no one even thought to mention Leroy’s remark about him being queer.  He hoped no one would remember.  “I’m okay, ma!” Jack lied.  He was quite flustered, terrified, even, but would never admit it to his mother.  He refused to say anything to worry her.  Mrs. Twist nodded and sat down on the bed beside her son.  “I’m sure you’re glad Ennis is back with us,” Mrs. Twist exclaimed with obvious pleasure.  Jack brightened at the mention of his friend’s name.  “Yeah, I sure am glad, ma!”  “Well, so am I, son.  I was getting quite attached to Ennis.  He seems like part of the family now."  Mrs. Twist made a face and turned her head to Jack’s door.  “Your father told me last week that he wouldn’t allow Ennis back.  I’m shocked that he changed his mind.”  Mrs. Twist looked her son dead in the eyes.  “Jack, do you have any idea why your father would let Ennis back here?”  Jack thought for a moment.  “We need help around here, ma.  Pa may be stubborn and can be down right mean, but he’s also practical.  He knows that Ennis will do the work of seven men, and won’t expect to be paid for it.”  Mrs. Twist seemed to accept Jack’s explanation.  She rose from the bed and moved for the door.  “You try and get some sleep, now.  You may have a busy day ahead of you.” 

Jack waited until he heard his mom close the door to her bedroom.  He took the tray from his desk and headed downstairs to the kitchen.  Once there, Jack found a clean glass, removed a few cookies from the jar, and placed them on the tray.  He headed out into the cold and moved silently toward the basement.  Ennis deserved some warm milk and cookies.  Jack only hoped his mom didn’t beat him to it.  He also hoped to get lucky that night.  He was in the mood for a certain kind of sweets: something only Ennis could give him to take the edge off.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Right (83)
« Reply #3246 on: March 04, 2008, 03:02:55 am »
Evenin, Little.

Well, things happened at a pace.  Interesting how Jack saw a whole new side to Katie, and didn't like it.  "Course, he only really likes Ennis. 

Do have a question/thought.  In (82) Leroy picked up the revolver and held it in front of his face, but then a shotgun blast rang out, Leroy fell backwards into the table, and Mr. Twist entered with a smoking 30-30.  In (83) Jack decides that 'No one was responsible for Leroy's suicide but Leroy."  Hmmm.  Did Leroy pull the trigger on the revolver just as Mr. Twist pulled the trigger on the 30-30?

Hope Jack gets some of the right kind of 'sweets' from Ennis, and Mr. Twist doesn't interfere.  Just don't trust him, and wonder why he's being so nice to the guys.  Leave it to Mom to bring up warm mild and cookies!

Really enjoying this story.

Thanks again. 

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Right (83)
« Reply #3247 on: March 04, 2008, 07:32:03 pm »
Evenin, Little.

Well, things happened at a pace.  Interesting how Jack saw a whole new side to Katie, and didn't like it.  "Course, he only really likes Ennis. 

Do have a question/thought.  In (82) Leroy picked up the revolver and held it in front of his face, but then a shotgun blast rang out, Leroy fell backwards into the table, and Mr. Twist entered with a smoking 30-30.  In (83) Jack decides that 'No one was responsible for Leroy's suicide but Leroy."  Hmmm.  Did Leroy pull the trigger on the revolver just as Mr. Twist pulled the trigger on the 30-30?

Hope Jack gets some of the right kind of 'sweets' from Ennis, and Mr. Twist doesn't interfere.  Just don't trust him, and wonder why he's being so nice to the guys.  Leave it to Mom to bring up warm mild and cookies!

Really enjoying this story.

Thanks again. 

Thanks for your comments, Babe!  We have a few twists and turns planned, as well as a lot of romance.  Stay tuned!  Thanks for your kind words!  :)

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Right (84) by Toycoon
« Reply #3248 on: March 05, 2008, 10:41:49 pm »
Right (84) by Toycoon

Jack carried the tray of peanut butter cookies around to the basement apartment where Ennis was. He wrapped on the door with his knuckles and called out, "Ennis!" "Come on in, Jack," said the voice from the other side of the door.

When Jack walked in, he saw that Ennis was sitting on the bed with some of his clothes scattered about the small room. The radio was on with the sound turned down very low and barely audible. It was playing a Glen Miller song, "Chattanooga Choo Choo" or something like that but Jack didn't recognize it either way. There was a cigarette burning in the ashtray on the end table. Ennis was methodically folding his clothes and stacking them on seat of the rocking chair. "Um, momma made us some peanut butter cookies. You want some?" offered Jack, setting the tray on the highboy dresser. He motioned to Ennis to try one of his mother's cookies. "I can't eat no cookies just now, Jack." said Ennis as he continued to collate his clothing, never turning around. Jack tried to make eye contact with his friend by following him around the room but Ennis kept right on folding. Finally Jack asked, "W-what are ya doin', buddy?"

"Jack, I... I gotta get outta here. I cain't stay in Lightning Flat no more. It ain't no good. I  jus' cain't live here with you, yer momma an' yer daddy." Ennis paused to take a long draw off the cigarette then set it back in the ashtray. Jack was confounded by Ennis' obvious anxiety. Jack was understandably distressed by the events of the past few days, too but he had no idea how much Ennis had been affected. "But why, Ennis, how come you cain't live here no more? Leroy's dead, he cain't hurt us no more. Katie's OK an' Rockie's gone to New York. My daddy said you can stay wit' us as long as ya like. He said it was OK, Ennis." Jack was pleading with Ennis now. Ennis swung around and looked Jack right in the eyes. "Jack, that's just it. Yer daddy shot Leroy dead! Remember when your daddy caught us in the bed together? Ah bet, he woulda shot us, too!" Jack's mind began spinning. Could Ennis be correct? Everything had happened so fast on that fateful evening that he didn't realize that Leroy hadn't actually shot himself; it had been his father that shot Leroy.

"Ennis, it's alright. It's alright," he whispered, softly stroking Ennis' back, attempting to sooth Ennis' turmoil and assuage his own. Ennis turned toward Jack, nestling his face in the crook of Jack's neck. "What are we gonna do now, Jack? What are we gonna do?" Ennis' salty tears dotted Jack's sweatshirt as they stood clutching each other late into night.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:06:59 am by Toycoon »
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Peace
« Reply #3249 on: March 06, 2008, 12:58:30 am »
Peace By Littlewing1957

Alma promised herself that she would never visit Ennis Del Mar.  After his outburst that Thanksgiving so many years ago, the only thing Alma ever said to Ennis was hi and bye.  She never set foot in his trailer.  But this time was different.  Alma Jr. told her last week that Jack Twist had died.  Alma looked ahead down the roads that lead to Ennis’ trailer.  She was not surprised that he lived so simply – without frills or a lot of creature comforts.  Alma knew more than anyone else that Ennis Del Mar cared little for material things.  She frowned when she thought of Ennis as a “That’ll do” type of man.  She always hoped that her ex-husband would set the bar higher.  He never did.

Alma Jr. told her how to find Ennis.  She didn’t even know where he lived.  Alma Jr. was not a frequent visitor to her dad’s lonely little trailer, but she did stop in to see him from time to time.  Jenny visited him even less.  Alma was dubious when she learned about Jack Twist’s death.  She was also furious that the girls happened to meet him one day during a visitation.  Jenny was the one to tell Alma that Jack dropped by just when Ennis got them settled in the car to go get something to eat.  It was okay, though.  Ennis sent Jack away after a few minutes.  Alma shuddered when she thought of Jack meeting her daughters.  She fought every urge to make it difficult for Ennis to see his girls.  But she found she couldn’t deprive Ennis of his children.  She trusted him.  She knew he would never expose the girls to anything untoward.  Alma drove up alongside the trailer and parked her Ford Mustang.  She had to keep her courage up.  She had to do this.

Alma walked across the gravel to Ennis’ front door.  She didn’t even have to knock, as Ennis flung the door open upon her approach.  He must have seen her drive up somehow.  “Why don’t you come on in,” Ennis said as he gestured to his ex-wife with a small smile on his still handsome face.  Alma nodded and entered the trailer.  Alma made herself as comfortable as she could on Ennis’ small “loveseat.”  “To what do I owe the pleasure?” Ennis asked Alma as he passed her a glass of pop.  Alma took a swig of the beverage and placed it down on her thigh. “Is what I’m hearing true?” She asked, almost tenderly.  Ennis cocked his head to the side.  “I don’t know.  What did you hear?”  Alma recounted the story Alma Jr. told her about Jack’s demise and how she came to know about it.  “It’s true!” Ennis said so softly that Alma barely heard.  She blew air out of her tiny mouth and looked down into her glass.  Jack Twist was not Alma’s favorite person by a long shot, but she didn’t hate him.  In fact, after having seen him only once, she found herself almost captivated by his sweet looks and his charming demeanor.  She didn’t want to believe that he had died.  “I won’t ask about the specifics, Ennis.” Alma spoke softly.  “But I just wanted to say that I know how much you loved him.” Ennis was gearing up to object, but Alma stopped him with a raised hand.  “Please let me finish.  I just want to say this and I’m out of here.  Don’t interrupt.”  Ennis backed down and listened.  “Listen, Ennis.  The kind of love you had for Jack won’t die.  You’ll never lose him.  Wherever he is, he still loves you.  You must believe this.”  Alma watched as silent tears fell down Ennis’ cheeks.  “I don’t know what lead me here to tell you this, but I just got a compelling to come here, is all.  I feel better about everything, Ennis.  I’m at peace and I want you to be at peace, too.”  Ennis leaned over and kissed Alma’s hand.  “Now I gotta go.  You remember what I said, here?”  Ennis couldn’t speak, but followed Alma to the door of his trailer.  He embraced her and watched as she drove away into the night.