Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4632107 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2110 on: January 06, 2007, 08:32:40 pm »
Tony and I took a long walk with the dog. It was 65 degrees and felt like summer. The streets were mobbed with people...there aren't this many people around in the summer! Unbelieveable.

While I am enjoying this weather, part of me is saying it is not good for our planet.

Now we have some sort of wind storm developing out there.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2111 on: January 06, 2007, 08:55:43 pm »
do any of you feel sort of... bizarre, like the planet tipped upside down, or that you're all in a sort of twilight zone episode where the Sun is plunging toward the Earth or something?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2112 on: January 06, 2007, 09:21:28 pm »
We hit a record in Boston today:  69*F with the average being 37*F.

I took a long walk through the Public Garden, down Charles Street and along the Esplanade on the Charles River.  Lots of nice legs out today!

Some of my perennials are coming up; I want to push them back.  Not yet, my dears!

I even broke out the grill tonight: a lovely rib-eye. Yum.

Can't use the hottub, no way.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2113 on: January 06, 2007, 09:44:16 pm »
Hot tub? Hot tub? Ain't no hot tub weather going on here cowboy, no way....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2114 on: January 07, 2007, 07:40:24 am »
Sundays Top Ten List!

injest  7965
Lucise  5799

MaineWriter  4053
Garry_LH  4037

Front-Ranger  3925
louisev  3283
DavidinHartford  3054

Ellemeno  2983
Pipedream  2488
Fran  2360

Offline David

« Reply #2115 on: January 07, 2007, 07:44:20 am »
do any of you feel sort of... bizarre, like the planet tipped upside down, or that you're all in a sort of twilight zone episode where the Sun is plunging toward the Earth or something?

Most definately.     Between the warm weather in New England,  The six feet of snow Denver has had,  Tornados in the South,  London fog  and whatever else has happened,  makes you think the earth has tipped off it's axis abit.   Must be from all the Nuclear testing North Korea is doing!   

Between Global warming,  Nuclear weapons and biological "accidents" that spread super viruses,  I don't think we will make it to the year 2100.     The century of 1900-2000 may have been filled with Wars and civil unrest, but overall it was probably the last century of progress and improvements in the general population.   

We had a growing industrial revolution that let our grandparents get good jobs, live in suburbia and retire with nice pensions and heath insurance.    They lived in communities where you could go to bed with your doors unlocked and there was still plenty of green space and undeveloped land.     To them the U.S. could only get better.   We had put a man on the moon and outlasted Communism in Russia.

But here we are in the next Century.    Our middle class is just about gone.    Jobs are either Medical or law related, the rest will find themselves working at WallMart.     Illegal immigrants clammor over here to get our $7-$8 dollar an hour jobs, while our $15-$25 dollar an hour jobs go to India or China where they pay far less.      Health insurance?   Good luck.   Pensions?   ROFLOL.      Job security and retiring after 20+ years at the same company?     Nope.  Not any more.   They'll fire you after 10 years and replace you with a kid a third of your age and for half the salary.      Our technology is far worse.   Electronics are so poorly made and disposable we can't even get a Space Shuttle launched.   Today more kids know what a Hyundai is than a Cadillac.     

Pres Bush wants us to spend Billions on Mars exploration?    How about we spend that money on Heathcare for our Senior citizens?    Mars will still be there long after we have gone extinct.     

But until then, our weather will continue to get wacky.   Terrorists will still come visit us and bring death with them.    The healthcare system will still keep crumbling as less of us have insurance and new viruses decimate the population.   Most Seniors will continue to live below the poverty level while CEOs live in obscene luxury.    And don't forget about all those missing Nukes from the Cold War.     

Makes you want to move to Wyoming doesn't it?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 08:12:21 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2116 on: January 07, 2007, 08:52:29 am »
We are starting the day off with 35 degrees and a little frosty. Temps are predicted to get to the fifties today...not as warm as yesterday, but still mild.

And for the game today: Go Pats!

L

Offline David

« Reply #2117 on: January 07, 2007, 08:26:35 pm »
It seems like everyone at work has a backpack or bag they carry their lunch to work in.     I have been bringing a small lunch cooler to work, but wanted something "cooler" and Airport appropriate.    So I went to the Worlds marketplace.   Ebay!

Here is my new lunch bag!    An original 1960-1970s Vintage TWA bag!    :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2118 on: January 07, 2007, 08:55:50 pm »
Wow, good idea, David!  That's very chic.   8)

I enjoyed your rant.  So when do we move to Wyoming?  I'll just need a few months to get things in order.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David

« Reply #2119 on: January 07, 2007, 10:54:16 pm »
A buddy of mine moved to Elizabeth, Colorado last year.   It is about an hour southeast of Denver.  Population: 789.

He sent me some pics of the wide open spaces.  His place needs alittle fixing up, so he calls it Green Acres after the TV series from the 1960s.

I wrote him yesterday and asked if Green Acres was now White Acres.    Here is his reply:

Yes, we have some snow here.  But the Cannonball is running, and Mr. Haney sold me a snow shovel.  Of course, I had to rent the handle from him also.  Its not all bad, digging has become a regular course of exercise for me.

Ha ha ha!    The Cannonball is the slow train on the TV series.   Mr.Haney of course being one of the more colorful and enterprising characters of the show as well.