Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178100 times)

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:42:12 pm »
Snow (happy white)

Jack raised an eyebrow and looked skeptically at Ennis. “You sure ‘bout this?”

“Sure I’m sure.” The corners of Ennis’s mouth twitched in a half-smile.

“Don’t look safe.”

“It’s safe enough.”

Jack gestured, “Well then you go first.”

“Thought I’d let you go first. Figure with all your bull-ridin’ s’perience you’d be a natural.”

Jack laughed. “Nice argument, friend, but it won’t work.”

“C’mon Jack. We come all the way up here. We might’s well do it at least once.”

“We? How we both gonna do it?”

“Thought you’d be on the bottom ‘n’ I’d be on top.”

“No way! You’re bigger ‘n me, Ennis. You be on the bottom.”

“Not bigger than you,” Ennis mumbled. “Jes’ a little taller.”

“Taller should be on the bottom.”

“Who wrote that rule, hunh?”

“Jus’ only makes sense.”

Ennis sighed. “Well all right, bud. Guess if you won’t do it no other way.”

Jack stuck out his chin and nodded. “How much this thing cost, anyway?”

“Cost?” Ennis blustered. “Don’t see why it’s any business a yours!”

“I think it’s my business. I might get one myself.”

“’Bout ninety dollars.”

“Ninety!” Jack exclaimed. “Well it better be worth it all’s I’m saying.”

“We’ll never know if you don’t get on this thing!”

“Thought you was going to be on the bottom?”

“Okay, okay. I’ll get on then you get on top of me.”

“Probably break all our bones,” Jack grumbled but he climbed on top of Ennis. “How am I suppose to hang on?

“Just grab hold of my shoulders.”

Jack did as he was told then said, “We ain’t goin’ anywhere. How we supposed to get this thing goin’?”

“You run to get it started, jump on and off we go.”

Jack was running and breathing heavy when Ennis yelled, “Get on! Get on top a me else I’m gonna go off without you!” Jack leaped on top of Ennis, knocking the air out of him. “Geez I swear, Jack, you get heavier ever’ year.”

Jack screamed in Ennis’s ear, “Yeee Haw!!”

They were really moving fast now, the wind stinging their cheeks. Ennis tried to steer but it was hard with Jack gripping his shoulders and yelling in his ear. Every bump produced a “Hmmff” out of both of them. They rocketed even faster. At the bottom Ennis had to make a sharp turn to avoid a tree and they both fell off the sled into the snow.

Laughing and panting, they lay on their backs in the fluffy white snow. Jack made a snow angel by moving his arms and legs.

Ennis stood up and looked down at Jack, big grins on both their faces. Jack reached up his hand for Ennis to pull him up but instead Jack yanked hard and pulled Ennis down on top of him. Cackling like a mad man, Jack rolled them both over until he was on top of Ennis.

“Damn – got snow down my neck. Git off a me, Jack.” He pretended to be annoyed but he couldn’t keep the smile off his face or stop laughing until Jack stuck out his tongue and licked some snow off Ennis’s face. They held each other’s gaze for a moment then without another word they both got up and brushed the snow off.

Jack said, “Next year I’m gonna get one a those flexible flyer sleds for my granddaughter. C’mon. Let’s go home.”

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 03:35:32 am »
enjoyed all of these different drabbles, thanks! love the wide range of moods

to comment on just a couple of them:
 Snow  so much fun to 'listen' to them talk, being happy and easy with each other
Ennis in Wyoming
I’d sit out here in a blizzard in the middle a winter…so long as you was with me.’
lovely and sad
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 03:42:54 am »

Dearest Maeve,

I am writing this to send along with the sweaters the Harrisons said they would drop off
for me on their way through Hulett. I think the sweaters will fit. The children are
changing so fast they’ve probably grown a size since I saw you at Christmas. I allowed
for that. I hope the Harrisons find them and you and Harold all staying well.
       We are fine here as always, even with the latest snow. I’m glad you’re in town.
This is the first birthday of Jack’s he will not be here. I have written to Lureen to
thank her for the Christmas gifts and about Jack’s favorite dinner and cake for his
birthday in case she wants to surprise him. He writes often and I think sometimes
he misses the ranch. But I am grateful he is where it is warmer and he has someone
to take care of him now the doctors have sent him home. He will not be going back to rodeo.
        The herd weathered the last storm well enough. John counted up the losses
and they are less than they might have been. If you know anyone in town who is
looking to hire on, we can pay a little bit and room and board of course. Just
for getting through the calving.
         Jack will be working for Mr. Newsome once he is back on his feet. He says it will be a good
job. I hope he will be happy though I wonder sometimes if his heart can be in it. I sit in his
room once in a while when I miss my boy too much. Kiss your dear children for me and tell them their
aunt loves them. (and tell Harold I said to listen to you and please take it easier – the race
is to the patient).
                                                                            your loving sister,
                                                                                 Orla
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:12:20 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 07:41:24 am »
Oh everyone, thanks for these great drabbles!

Since we were all cold and snowy yesterday, let's warm it up a bit today, shall we? Use these for prompts:

• good china
  • daffodils
  • yellow

Have fun!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 07:50:39 am »
I've really enjoyed these drabbles! thanks everyone. There no end to Jack-and-Ennis inspiration, is there?  :)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 08:10:39 am »
I've really enjoyed these drabbles! thanks everyone. There no end to Jack-and-Ennis inspiration, is there?  :)

Me too!!  And there's apparently no end to talented, imaginative writers either! 

Looking forward to more.  Thanks for sharing!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 09:40:25 am »
Something you don't usually get from me: a little bit of angst.

Riverton, Wyoming
April, 1975

Ennis shoved the flowers at Alma, green tissue paper falling off. “Here, I got ya somethin’,” he said, his voice barely a grunt.

She looked at the ten daffodils, cinched with a green rubber band. “What’s this for?”

“I thought they were pretty, thought ya might like them.”

“Ya never buy me flowers, Ennis, what were ya thinkin’?”

“They were sellin’ em at the grocery store…a fundraiser for somethin’. Girl Scouts, I think.”

Alma took a glass from the cupboard and filled it with water, then turned to Ennis. “We can barely afford to put food on the table and you go throwin’ money away on daffodils. What’re ya thinkin’, Ennis?”

“Oh fuck it, I was just tryin’ ta do somethin’ nice,” he said, storming out the door, lighting a cigarette as the screen slammed behind him.

Fuck, just somethin’ nice for you, Alma, he thought, and then paused. No, not Alma. It’s you, Jack. The flowers reminded me a you, and the mountain, and the spring, and the yellow columbine growin’ up around the rocks and scatterin’ down the hillside…

He clattered down the stairs and threw himself into his truck, then stopped, head dropping forward on the steering wheel. “Why the fuck can’t I do anythin’ right…for anybody?” he swore to himself.

(218 words)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:09:19 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Scott6373

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 09:58:23 am »
She placed the small pot of bulbs out on the porch landing.  The weather had finally started to turn from winter’s inescapable cold, and the mornings, she guessed, were warm enough now to put some daffodil bulbs out.  She knew she could use the bright yellow of the blossoms to lift her spirit.

Ennis had stopped talking to her…in any real sense…far too long ago, but the last few months had brought a change in her husband.  He seemed more attentive, more interested in her and the children.  The remembrance of the Valentine’s Day dance at the church caused a warm and safe flood of feeling to course though her.

“Ennis, thank you so for bringin me.  I’m havin a real good time.”  She rested her head against her husbands shoulder as the swayed slowly on the dance floor.

“It’s good ta get out…both of us.  Oh…uh…listen…I’m goin fishin come first week in April…with Jack.  That a problem?”

“No honey, it ain’t.  I know how you love your trips with your friend.”  She stretched up on her toes and placed a sweet kiss on her husband’s cheek.  She thought then about buying him a new creel case for his trip.

“You got everythin you need?”

“Yep, I think so.  Jesus look at the time…gonna be late.”  Ennis grabbed his duffel and coat and moved quickly to the door.  Alma followed on his heels.

“Oh here…your fishin stuff.”  She handed him the equipment and the new creel case, which he had not yet noticed.  He would notice when he read the note inside.

“Um…thanks…gotta get movin.”  Overloaded and rushing, he pushed the screen door open and clumsily lumbered his way out.  The duffel over his shoulder swung and sent the pot of now blooming daffodils sailing off the porch rail, landing in a crash on the pavement below.  The small yellow flowers laying wan and dying on the ground.

318 words (sorry)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:30:32 am by Scott6373 »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 10:04:35 am »
Leslie, I loved this part  :)

“There is babe, believe it. I’m feelin’ it now.”

“You are?”

“I am.”

“I love you Jack.”

“I know.”

Scott ~ loved this:

"Gotta mail that off to Jack today," he said, as if in reply to the urgency of the wind.  Don Wroe's cabin next month.  The whole week.  With Jack.
Janice ~ loved this, I didn't know you were a writer!  :):

Summer will return in a blast of indian winds coming down from the mountain. so  jack and me can go back to the river in the early evening and go skinny dipping again

El wing ~ loved this, heh:

“Since I’m standin’ here with bare ass stickin’ out.”

“Mmm, it’s damn near as white as the snow too--like ta of blinded me. Damn perdy though.”

Leslie ~ I loved this, I think I commented on this when you posted this on BBSlash. I know I commented on your sledding one, I adored that one:

He thought the world had come to an end. He felt he was missing a vital part of himself. Something was missing. He looked around the white world trying to find it but it wasn’t there.

Aww Leslie, so sad:

Fuck, just somethin’ nice for you, Alma, he thought, and then paused. No, not Alma. It’s you, Jack. The flowers reminded me a you, and the mountain, and the spring, and the yellow columbine growin’ up around the rocks and scatterin’ down the hillside…

He clattered down the stairs and threw himself into his truck, then stopped, head dropping forward on the steering wheel. “Why the fuck can’t I do anythin’ right…for anybody?” he swore to himself.

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE  :) I just adore drabbles  :) This is a really good idea, Leslie  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 01:07:07 pm »
Jack rises from the log he's been sitting on when he hears Ennis' truck coming along the gravel road. Big smile lits his face, almost equally matched by the one in his companion's face as the vehicle emerges between the trees. As soon an the door opens, something black and furry tumbles out, barking and bouncing like a rubber ball.

"What's this?"

"Guess!"

"Good to see you". They embrace before Jack continues.

"So, who's this little fella?"

"This is Yellow. Junior's and Francine's dog. They found him somewhere on a back road. Alma didn't want no dog in the house. And after he trashed some of her good china she threw him out. The girls asked me to keep him for them. Didn't want no dog either." Ennis ends with a frown, looking down on the still yapping creature.

"You hush now" he scolds the dog.

Jack kneels beside the now quiet animal.

"He's cute. But why's his name Yellow? He's jet black."

Ennis shrugs "It's s'posed to be funny."

"What did you say?"

"Nothing."

"En, I heard ya."

"Was talkin' to the dog."

"But I heard ya say my name."

"Didn't."

Three days Jack listens carefully whenever Ennis murmurs to the dog. It may have been the
daughters who found the pet, and maybe all three of them believed Ennis just keeps it for his girls, but Jack and the dog know better. It's Ennis' dog.
Then, late at night, when Ennis thinks he's asleep, Jack can hear it clear as a bell. The dog's name isn't Yellow. Ennis calls him Jackie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word count 263
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 01:11:36 pm by Penthesilea »